Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Restaurants in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Favorite Restaurants in Athens

If all goes well, I’ll be in Athens at the end of this month. I’ve been researching restaurants and there are too many that sound great. Figured I’d see if there are any favorites you all would recommend? I’ve found some amazing places elsewhere in Europe via FlyerTalk…
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
umm... do you have a EU COVID QR code? otherwise you may be limited...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33411970-post270.html
Old Jul 17, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by whimsey21
If all goes well, I’ll be in Athens at the end of this month. I’ve been researching restaurants and there are too many that sound great. Figured I’d see if there are any favorites you all would recommend? I’ve found some amazing places elsewhere in Europe via FlyerTalk…
just go to a local Greek joint Athens is the place for great Mediterranean food not Michelin starred restaurants
Old Jul 17, 2021, 2:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I found some of Matt's suggestions in past visits pretty good.

https://www.greecetravel.com/greek-f...-10/index.html

https://www.athensguide.com/restaurants.html
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gudugan
umm... do you have a EU COVID QR code? otherwise you may be limited...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33411970-post270.html
No EU code because I'm in the US. My family and I are all fully vaccinated, so we're good by today's rules. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this trip happens.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:41 pm

If you want Acropolis views and have young kids, I'd recommend Strofi. If no kids, Kuzina.

Dopios just opened in June and is fantastic. It's "elevated" taverna-style food. There's also Aleria, which has a great courtyard (although I heard they have a new chef and it's not quite the same as before).

Ella Greek Cooking is great for lunch.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pstm91
If you want Acropolis views and have young kids, I'd recommend Strofi. If no kids, Kuzina.

Dopios just opened in June and is fantastic. It's "elevated" taverna-style food. There's also Aleria, which has a great courtyard (although I heard they have a new chef and it's not quite the same as before).

Ella Greek Cooking is great for lunch.
thanks much! Kids are teenagers and used to nice restaurants, so no issues there.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
OP is asking for recommendations.

I am reading this thread and making notes.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
We had a friend of a friend take us around Athens for a day - he took us to lunch at Attalos taverna cookhouse in the touristy area near the Agora (I think very close to Kuzina which was mentioned). He said it was the best value in that area while still having lots of good traditional options. Had a great meal.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:19 am

The Athens restaurant world has changed considerably over the last 10 years or so (amazingly, during the big financial/economic crisis of the country). You can nowadays find several "starred" restaurants with very good to excellent cuisine, the only problem though (in addition to their high prices) for me is that most of them don't serve "genuine" greek cuisine. There still , though, are several good tavernas throughout the city that are worth a visit. Most of those are in residential neigbourhoods away from the touristy and business areas (e.g. Pagrati, Kypseli, Petralona, etc. as well as in Piraeus, and many suburbs). If one likes some adventure, I'd recommend walking or taking the yellow trolley bus to Pagrati, get off at Plastira square, then walk around the area above the old Olympic Stadium and pick any of the many restaurants that look busy (usually tables on the sidewalk) and the people look... Greek. The chances that you'll be satisfied are very high
david55 and cad-spe like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Hytra is one of my favorites.
Opos Palia for good atmosphere and down to earth food
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:38 pm

Just came back from Athens and would like to throw in my suggestion here for future travellers.

The best meal i had (overall consideration including price) is Atlantikos. Awesome seafood at geat prices. Located in Psiri and you get that back alley feel.
https://goo.gl/maps/aR3fncWARCL2yw8w7
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
My personal opinion is to save the "fine dining" or "best restaurant" for places like Paris, London, or NYC. In Athens, I would recommend you a place that truly makes you feel like you are in Greece and are eating local food with the locals.

In Monastiraki Square, take one of the "shopping streets" that is NOT the flea market. Halfway down the street you will see bright lights and hear live music. Take a left and follow the short alley to a beautiful outdoor courtyard of about 3 restaurants, one of them with live music. The one I went to serve the best and most authentic Greek food at very reasonable prices. (It's not the money. It's the experience!) I don't remember the name but I have a picture of a napkin. The place was absolutely lively and vibrant and the vibes were friendly, welcoming, and chill. We felt so comfortable and we actually felt like we were Greeks for a moment.

roberto99 and stevebintley like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
My personal opinion is to save the "fine dining" or "best restaurant" for places like Paris, London, or NYC. In Athens, I would recommend you a place that truly makes you feel like you are in Greece and are eating local food with the locals.

In Monastiraki Square, take one of the "shopping streets" that is NOT the flea market. Halfway down the street you will see bright lights and hear live music. Take a left and follow the short alley to a beautiful outdoor courtyard of about 3 restaurants, one of them with live music. The one I went to serve the best and most authentic Greek food at very reasonable prices. (It's not the money. It's the experience!) I don't remember the name but I have a picture of a napkin. The place was absolutely lively and vibrant and the vibes were friendly, welcoming, and chill. We felt so comfortable and we actually felt like we were Greeks for a moment.
Looks like this place? https://www.bairaktaris.gr/?lang=en

I like the recommendation and have added it to my list for when I'm there in a couple of weeks; thanks :-)
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:45 pm

Bairaktaris is one of the most known "souvlaki eateries" in Athens. He's been so successful that over the last 20-30 years or so, he slowly purchased most, if not all such places in the wider Monastiraki area. Food-wise I would certainly recommend it for that line of food, but the rest, especially the non-grilled stuff, is not made in the store but in some centralized kitchen. Still, people and especially tourists still go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.