Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic travel this summer -- what are the odds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic travel this summer -- what are the odds?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Greece has announced that it is opening in July: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22B1TB

I was last in Greece in 1994 but now looking at taking a trip there in July/August. There may not be many other options because of the reasons that you all have stated.
Unless the fares go down on sites like secretflying to absurd levels (say, $200 roundtrip, with a waiver to change dates) I would just wait if you are not already holding tickets. Things seem to be moving fast with the virus in Europe, so there may be a lot more clarity by the first week of June where you can and can't go and when.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Anyone with info/ updates on transiting in AMS from the U.S., as well as visiting Poland?
Unless you are a Pole and/or visiting for essential purposes, you will not be permitted to enter the country.

https://www.gov.pl/web/coronavirus/travel
Old May 7, 2020, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Unless you are a Pole and/or visiting for essential purposes, you will not be permitted to enter the country.

https://www.gov.pl/web/coronavirus/travel
Yup. Already had my flight to Poland cancelled. Sad really because was looking forward to that trip. My trip to Spain in June is up in the air. Not sure when we will find out about Iberia and their flights for sure. I'm guessing Mid June is a no go but we shall see.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended

Spain in June will be a certain NO. Sorry to bring bad news.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:10 am

As will be France ....
Old May 7, 2020, 12:16 pm
Suspended

And all of the rest of Europe. I mean, seriously, can people not google relevant country websites?
STBCypriot likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
And all of the rest of Europe. I mean, seriously, can people not google relevant country websites?
Doing a google vs, bing leads to more relevant info.
At https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-1...rland/45592192
it is noted: European ministers are very cautious as nobody wants too much cross-border mobility right now and it’s not in Switzerland’s interest to be the only country to open to foreign visitors, said Keller-Sutter.

But this week the ministers of justice and home affairs of Europe’s Schengen states agreed unanimously on a coordinated step-by-step lifting of travel restrictions while reaffirming the priority of protecting citizens against the virus.

“Initially, the progressive reopening of Europe’s internal frontiers must take place. Only after that will a step-by-step reopening of the Schengen external borders be possible to allow the entry of people from third states,” the Swiss justice ministry said in a statementexternal link.
Vague info, but they are thinking POSITIVELY.
Koby likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spain in June will be a certain NO. Sorry to bring bad news.
Is there a public proclamation to this effect? I have a ticket from Spain to the USA in June that is still "scheduled" to leave. For chargeback purposes, it would be helpful if there was a government edict saying that tourists are not allowed in the country.

I am thinking that the earliest realistic time that travellers can visit Europe is August, but even that is far from certain at this point. Unless the fare was something like $200, and changeable for a voucher, I wouldn't buy an August transatlantic ticket now. I'd wait to see what happens. When the daily death counts in all the hard hit European countries drop below 50 (NY too) real discussions about reopening borders will likely start to happen.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Is there a public proclamation to this effect? I have a ticket from Spain to the USA in June that is still "scheduled" to leave. For chargeback purposes, it would be helpful if there was a government edict saying that tourists are not allowed in the country.

I am thinking that the earliest realistic time that travellers can visit Europe is August, but even that is far from certain at this point. Unless the fare was something like $200, and changeable for a voucher, I wouldn't buy an August transatlantic ticket now. I'd wait to see what happens. When the daily death counts in all the hard hit European countries drop below 50 (NY too) real discussions about reopening borders will likely start to happen.
There is no set date (as far as I know) for tourists to enter Spain. As mentioned above, expect it to be gradual (domestic / Schengen / selected third states). It is, from today's standpoint, inconceivable that Spain will allow a tourist from the US to enter the country, and even if he did, it would come with a quarantine period. Expect the flight to be cancelled ca two weeks prior to departure. If the flight is operating but you can't travel, I doubt a chargeback would be successful, and in any case the airline will most likely offer you a voucher, which would reverse a chargeback. It is unfortunately an annoying situation.
Old May 8, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is no set date (as far as I know) for tourists to enter Spain. As mentioned above, expect it to be gradual (domestic / Schengen / selected third states). It is, from today's standpoint, inconceivable that Spain will allow a tourist from the US to enter the country, and even if he did, it would come with a quarantine period. Expect the flight to be cancelled ca two weeks prior to departure. If the flight is operating but you can't travel, I doubt a chargeback would be successful, and in any case the airline will most likely offer you a voucher, which would reverse a chargeback. It is unfortunately an annoying situation.
This is likely to be an interesting situation in the next few weeks. I assume a few more int'l flights will operate, but it will not be practical (or, in many cases, legal) for most passengers to fly them. Logic would suggest these passengers should be entitled to refunds, but we'll see how the authorities rule. I'm guessing the airlines will all try to insist on vouchers.

In my case, my flight is with LEVEL, which has a history of being unhelpful -- including to me. During the height of the Paris strikes last December -- when it was impossible to take public transportation to and from the airport, and most of the city was shut down making my visit impractical -- LEVEL refused to issue me a voucher to fly later. It was fly on my specific flights or lose the value of the ticket. Nice. I'm sure they'll be even "nicer" this time, if they can.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:23 pm
Suspended

You not being able to travel is not a situation created by, or in the control of, an airline. A voucher would be an entirely acceptable gesture in this case. Otherwise there is travel insurance to fall back on.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You not being able to travel is not a situation created by, or in the control of, an airline. A voucher would be an entirely acceptable gesture in this case. Otherwise there is travel insurance to fall back on.
Many policies don't cover PANDEMIC related issues. Even when you have "other" coverage EU261, for example, France (among others) is blocking refunds for flights which which have been cancelled--though after 1 year (when you don't want/have to fly) you can get a refund.
Also, what happens if your insurance company files for bankruptcy.
Old May 9, 2020, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
Many policies don't cover PANDEMIC related issues. Even when you have "other" coverage EU261, for example, France (among others) is blocking refunds for flights which which have been cancelled--though after 1 year (when you don't want/have to fly) you can get a refund.
Also, what happens if your insurance company files for bankruptcy.
Yes, these are concerns. My travel insurance covers me for everything bought prior to the government’s travel recommendations, including full medical. I don’t want to get into the refund/voucher discussion here because we keep going around the same point over and over. If you want a functioning travel system, you probably have to accept that your money will be held up a bit longer. A bit like a travel tax, which everyone will be paying in future anyway. Damn, I wasn’t going to get into that!
Old May 10, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Travel restrictions are now extended to June 15th.

Coronavirus: Commission invites Member States to extend restriction on non-essential travel to the EU until 15 June

The final decision lies with the individual member states but it seems they all follow.
Old May 30, 2020, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I recall reading that Spain opens to tourists July 1. I know that USA airlines will be flying in early July, but I don't think I've seen an announcement that the USA border is open. I think it's a good bet that it will be, though. Has there been any movement by other EU countries?

I have tickets across the pond for late August to the UK and France. I think it's possible we can go. But I also think it's possible we won't be able to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.