Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Don't expect to pay more than ₺250 ( about €15 ) a taxi.
Traffic is not likely to be bad as you'll probably leave the airport around 9:00-9:30 and at that time most people would have already started working at their workplace.

Also just as a reminder, dealing with private transfers, meeting up, etc... might be more painful rather than just heading to the taxi rack unless you are using one of the overpriced transfer companies that have an office at the airport.
Thanks for the advice ISTFlyer. I read some of your other posts on the subject, it sounds very unlikely I'll be ripped off or anything as long as I go to the proper taxi rank and avoid the touts in the terminal. Hopefully I can get a small amount of cash in the arrival hall ATMs without any card trouble .
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:43 pm

What are the odds of being selected for a PCR test on arrival in IST? I'm recently recovered and afraid of testing positive.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arriving from where? From the vast majority of places pretty much nil. From a few other places, maybe 10-20% (assuming that you are not bruning up with a significant temperature that may be picked up by a thermal camera, in which chances would be very high, as they should be).
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Arriving from where? From the vast majority of places pretty much nil. From a few other places, maybe 10-20% (assuming that you are not bruning up with a significant temperature that may be picked up by a thermal camera, in which chances would be very high, as they should be).
Thank you. I would be coming from Singapore, so I assume I'm pretty safe
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Don't expect to pay more than ₺250 ( about €15 ) a taxi.
This (unsurprisingly) turned out to be great advice. 242 on the meter (rounded up to 250).

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Thank you. I would be coming from Singapore, so I assume I'm pretty safe
I just arrived in IST from Singapore this morning. No one batted an eyelid about where I'd come from, the only question I had at immigration was where I was going next, and then asked where I'd arrived from on going through the Nothing to Declare lane at Customs (and was just pointed directly to the exit) so I would not stress about that.
HumbleBee and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by Must...Fly!
Thanks for the advice ISTFlyer. I read some of your other posts on the subject, it sounds very unlikely I'll be ripped off or anything as long as I go to the proper taxi rank and avoid the touts in the terminal. Hopefully I can get a small amount of cash in the arrival hall ATMs without any card trouble .
Do taxis take the big 3 credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Amex)? How bad (fee-wise) are the ATMs within IST terminal?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by fbrdky
Do taxis take the big 3 credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Amex)? How bad (fee-wise) are the ATMs within IST terminal?
When arriving in a new country I usually ignore all ATMs in the arrivals halls as they tend to be third parties and risk of fees is higher.

Again it turned out to be the right move. After arrivals, take a left past the phone shops and there is a branch of a local bank, Ziraat Bankasi. I used my debit mastercard (fee free international transactions) at the ATMs outside, made sure NOT to use DCC and do not appear to have been charged any fees. Changing cash in the city is very easy as there are lots of currency exchanges, with varying rates (but all very transparent so it's easy to know what rate you will get)

Cabs - the one I was in took at least visa and I do remember the fee was 5%. Not sure about the others I'm afraid.
fbrdky likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many taxis take credit cards, I have NEVER EVER heard of a 5 percent fee to use a credit card with a taxi in Istanbul. You were robbed.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Many taxis take credit cards, I have NEVER EVER heard of a 5 percent fee to use a credit card with a taxi in Istanbul. You were robbed.
idk about 5%, but it's standard for Istanbul taxis to charge a transaction fee for credit card transactions. This fee goes to the point-of-sale company (I think the most common is called "takside pos").
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
idk about 5%, but it's standard for Istanbul taxis to charge a transaction fee for credit card transactions. This fee goes to the point-of-sale company (I think the most common is called "takside pos").
Yes, the Takside POS would get a 5% credit card fee for transactions over ₺250 which is stated on the Takside POS commission list labeled at taxis.
Must...Fly! likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:18 am

I paid with cash, so unless the entire ride was just an illusion perpetrated by a brilliant thief, no I was not robbed. Simply passing on information.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:32 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

IST: Supermarket?

I've got a 2.5 hour INTL to INTL transfer in IST (flying in J), and would like to know if the airport has a supermarket anywhere in its arrivals hall. I've got some souvenirs on the mind that go beyond lokum and lokum-related paraphernalia. Have already checked the airport website, but it's not helpful.

Cheers,
BmB
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AH, that may be so, as 1) When I take Istanbul taxis, the price is generally under 250 TL. 2) If I take a taxi to/fr the airport I generally use BiTaksi or Uber, where it seems there is no such charge (or at least not that I noticed). OTOH, at least for the moment the fare from the airport to the most popular places for tourists such as Sultanahmet, Taksim, Besiktas without significant traffic could be under 250 TL (although this will change when taxi fares rise any moment now). I should also admit that since Covid I have often just driven and parked as rates were reduced and it has been more cost effective to "do it myself"..........
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:46 pm

Need advice: thinking of flying into IST on BA and connecting on a separate ticket to ATH on Aegean. Is 1 hr 45min connecting time enough or should I book 4 hr connection? If luggage is checked in does that change anything?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Need advice: thinking of flying into IST on BA and connecting on a separate ticket to ATH on Aegean. Is 1 hr 45min connecting time enough or should I book 4 hr connection? If luggage is checked in does that change anything?
On separate tickets, you would have no protection if your LHR-IST flight is delayed. 1h45mins when traveling HBO would be enough if you have your A3 boarding pass handy, otherwise you might need to rush to the A3 transfer desk to get your boarding pass before the check-in deadline for that flight ends. BA also enforces row-by-row deboarding thus also consider the factor that you might be asked to remain seated for a period of time if you are seated in the Economy cabin.

With checked baggage, as BA would not through check bags on separate tickets, I would not attempt to do a 1h45min self-transfer.
LilZeppelin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.