Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I travel to Europe every week. I don't take any of the things you consider necessary and I've never taken any of the 'first-time-tourist' things you describe. I have no idea how someone would even thing of dehydration remedies?

Do you carry this 911-kit with you every day at home?

I take it you have never been prostrated on a hotel room floor by food poisoning, as I was in Scotland. That is where I first discovered the recuperative benefits of rehydration salts. What they sell there for adults is much better than Pedialyte, but Pedialyte packets are what is readily available in the US. Also just the thing for the dehydration of hangovers. I put together my tiny kit of various meds after Scotland and keep it in my suitcase. Usually somebody traveling with me uses something out of it every trip.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by ysolde
Oh, for Pete's sake . . .

In the US, OTC usually* means sold, not only without prescription, but without having to consult the pharmacist -- on racks in the drugstore or in the supermarket. This is often different in Europe. Not better, not worse. Just different. If you roll your eyes at acknowledging difference when you travel, then, well . . .

*There are exceptions, of course. In the US, Sudafed, sold without a prescription, is only found behind the pharmacist's counter, and requires ID.
Do bear in mind, of course, that Europe is not a country. It's a continent of countries which can differ quite significantly. And you'll find pharmacies differ quite a lot.

OTC in the UK generally means the medication you can buy without a prescription, but with consultation with a pharmacist. This could be as simple as them telling you not to take it more than x times without seeing a doctor (e.g. diphenhydramine) or could involve an extensive history form or card to show you have previously filled this in (e.g. sumatriptan). You'll find standard painkillers and antihistamines, for example, in supermarkets.

What is on prescription and what is not does vary. For example, in the UK, antibiotics are only available on prescription, as are stronger sleeping pills like Ambien. However, codeine mixes (cocodamol, etc) are available OTC as are pseudoephedrine meds. This will vary per country. Pharmacies in France are a whole experience in their own right...

However, I am also in the camp of carrying a basic medical kit with me when I'm travelling, even on shorter business trips. I rarely need it, and am more than capable of visiting pharmacies (the one opposite the cancer hospital in central Kolkata was quite an experience, especially convincing them to give me particular drugs without prescription), but it's a question of convenience. It barely takes up any room, and it just makes like easier when you're away from home and feeling under the weather. However, I'd never take antibiotics without medical advice - I consider their overuse highly irresponsible.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Worcester
Don't be worried about racist people who don't fact check either, just look at the actual facts...

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist..._100)_YB14.png

Like the US, there was for the last decade been a downward trend in most types of crime in the EU.
Unless she buys an EU home, she's probably less at risk now of being victimized in the EU now than 10-20 years ago.

One of my first 100+ mile trips alone was from NYC to DC -- I was a minor then. And Washington was far more dangerous (even in the better neighborhoods) than some of the more sketchy neighborhoods in Europe. Would I tell an adult child to avoid visiting my nation's capital? No. Would I be more concerned about a visit to DC or LA or Miami than about a visit to Paris, Amsterdam and Prague? Yes.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
I've travelled extensively in Europe alone. no issues whatsoever. as many have pointed out Europe is probably safer than the USA.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:07 am

As a parent, your concern is right. But she is 26 and mature enough to take care of herself. I am also 26 and have visited many countries including Europe alone. The places you mentioned are perfectly safe for solo female traveler. Here're few things you can ask her to do:

1. Ask her to research the destination thoroughly before the trip.
2. Advise her to stay safe and not to trust people at very first sight.
3. Advise her to do pre booking of hotels, and to select only reputed ones.
4. Ask her to keep an extra copy of important documents like passport.

For your sake, you can call her once in a day to keep yourself updated about her location.

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Btw Google Fi is better than T-mobile internationally in my opinion. Especially for high speed data.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by crainandrea22
For your sake, you can call her once in a day to keep yourself updated about her location.
Calling to check up on your 26yo once a day?! I think once a month is more like it! Or maybe weekly if you get on particularly well.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by crainandrea22
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Calling to check up on your 26yo once a day?! I think once a month is more like it! Or maybe weekly if you get on particularly well.
Yes, this is indeed weird. I can sense my 15-year old daughter rolling her eyes when we call more than once an evening when she's looking after the other children. I can't imagine a 26-year old would want her father calling her every day to check up on her. Cut the cord!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Yes, don't call her once a day. I would not call her at all (not sure how long this trip is, exactly). You might try texting her once or twice a week. At 26, if she wants to talk to you during her trip, she will. If she needs to talk to you, she will. If you have an emergency and need to talk to her, by all means, call her. But a daily phone call from dad at the age of 26 seems a bit much.

Let your daughter take the lead in the communication.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by steveca
I am the father of a 26 year old daughter who [...] wants to tour Europe before she starts her job. [...]

I hope that someone on this site can give me some insight about whether or not my daughter will be safe. Do I need to worry about her being in these three cities alone. Is there any advice that I should give her?
I travelled alone when I was half her age. She will be fine. In general, Europe is safer than the US. There is probably some advice you could give her but I doubt she'll listen anyway. Perhaps the best way would be to point her to FlyerTalk and she can ask for advice herself?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:44 am
arj

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Some of us like to wing it and make fun, and some of us like to be prepared. More often I help out somebody who has winged it than need anything myself.

Thanks for useful tips for travel anywhere. ^^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:20 am

So, this is off topic, but after 2 pages of people talking about refilling meds while overseas, you guys now have me curious on whether I should intentionally do so. When we were in Europe a few months ago, DH lost his meds and the hotel in Ireland was kind enough to call their in house Dr who called in a prescription to a local pharmacy. The total was only $9 and much cheaper than what we pay here in the states and that included the Dr's time and was without our insurance being used.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
A cousin of mine who lives in Albany was paying US$1500/month, after insurance, for one prescription. Now the family goes to Montreal, where they pay CAD$600 (about US$440) for a six-month supply. That's right: their out-of-pocket cost is twenty times higher in the States.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
So, this is off topic, but after 2 pages of people talking about refilling meds while overseas, you guys now have me curious on whether I should intentionally do so. When we were in Europe a few months ago, DH lost his meds and the hotel in Ireland was kind enough to call their in house Dr who called in a prescription to a local pharmacy. The total was only $9 and much cheaper than what we pay here in the states and that included the Dr's time and was without our insurance being used.
It's your bloated healthcare system. But the UK system is pretty rubbish, it must be said.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's your bloated healthcare system. But the UK system is pretty rubbish, it must be said.
It will always be impossible to meet demand free at point of use in a healthcare system as presently configured in W Europe. But nobody in UK has ever been declared bankrupt or had their savings wiped out through illness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.