Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:19 am

We just got back from Europe and found it to be very safe in regards to violence. Like others have said she'll be most vulnerable when drinking, so she needs to stay in a group that she knows is safe and have transportation thought out beforehand.

Have her watch some YouTube videos about scams/pickpocketers. There are quite a few common scams. Maybe talk to her about locking up her passport and having a copy of it on her phone in case the original gets lost/stolen.

I agree with the poster that said your biggest worry should be that she's going to want to move there permanently! The food, the beauty... She's going to have the time of her life.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drvannostren
She's 26.

You're better off letting her go to Budapest than Baltimore.
In a heartbeat! ^^^ Again, this is about a woman, not some underage kid.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Just memorize this speech and you'll be fine

Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
I just hope youre Liam Neeson in case anything goes wrong...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by steveca
As her father I am extremely worried about her being alone in foreign countries. I hope that someone on this site can give me some insight about whether or not my daughter will be safe. Do I need to worry about her being in these three cities alone. Is there any advice that I should give her? Thank you for any information you can give me to calm my worries.
You're sending your daughter to Western Europe, not Afghanistan, Syria or Iraq. Time to trust your 26-year old daughter...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There again, some poor American woman was knifed to death near the British Museum, the day before she was leaving for home.

So much violence is random, not directed at individuals.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:00 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
She will be completely safe. I have traveled all those cities as have many of my female friends and there is nothing at all to worry about.

I'm a little concerned that you're so worried. I understand you love your daughter, but she is a 26-year old adult with, as you point out, a master's degree. Would you be terrified of your 26-year old self touring Europe?

The only advice she needs from you is to have a great time.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I don't understand the need of some to lecture you on being a worried parent. Ignore those posts, and as others have said, here's how you help her prepare.

- Treat the trip like going to any big city in the US. Don't walk alone at night, through dark alleys, etc. Walk away from strangers who come up to you on the street. All that kind of stuff.

- Drink responsibly. Crimes of opportunity are the biggest concern in Europe, and nothing presents an opportunity like a drunk person staggering down the street looking at her phone.
That sounds like the lecture I got from my father when I was 14 and preparing for my first solo transcon trip. I can guarantee you I would not have received the same lecture well at 26 (and my father wouldn't have offered it then, either).

The OP is getting the comments he is because the daughter is 26, not 16, and by that age she is an adult and should be treated like one.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
That sounds like the lecture I got from my father when I was 14 and preparing for my first solo transcon trip. I can guarantee you I would not have received the same lecture well at 26 (and my father wouldn't have offered it then, either).

The OP is getting the comments he is because the daughter is 26, not 16, and by that age she is an adult and should be treated like one.
Yeah, I get it. My point is we don't know the family situation, and it's no one's business. Perhaps the daughter is the first to ever travel outside the country. Perhaps she is even asking for some help or advice. Or perhaps it's just a concerned parent that needs some reassurance and talking about those things will ease the mind. I just doubt the OP was coming here for advice on being a parent.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I am the father of a 26 year old daughter who has completed her master's degree and wants to tour Europe before she starts her job. She has paid for a tour to go as a group with other college students to see the world. She has decided to go to Amsterdam, Paris and Prague by herself for one week and then meet up with the rest of the tour in Italy and Greece. She will be spending One Week by herself alone where she will fly into Amsterdam from the United States and then go to Paris and then to Prague. As her father I am extremely worried about her being alone in foreign countries. I hope that someone on this site can give me some insight about whether or not my daughter will be safe. Do I need to worry about her being in these three cities alone. Is there any advice that I should give her? Thank you for any information you can give me to calm my worries.
You can do leg work and give her information like:
Where in the airport can I get my smartphone outfitted for the country I'm in
What's the phone number of the police, and an English-language line if it exists
Phone number and address of the U.S. embassy/consulate
Emergency money, as cash, pre-paid VISA card, or whatever. Just like in the U.S. having financial flexibility helps to get out of a jam -- take a taxi instead of subway, i could only find a 4 star hotel instead of a 2 star, etc.
Secondary point above is true. Each of those cities could easily consume an entire week. I definitely recommend focusing on two of them only.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If she has any street smarts she'll be fine. The cities you mention are safer than similar-sized cities in the US.

Sounds to me like you need to take a trip abroad too. Norwegian has many cheap flights these days.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:58 pm

Adding to my previous advice to say to have her learn the local #'s for the police, fire, ambulance, etc. She can text herself or have a copy in her purse. Also have her read the article on here about what to do in case there's a fire.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:23 pm

A few tips for a woman's first trip to Europe. T-Mobile is the best international cell phone service because of low rate plans including data, eliminating the need for buying sim cards in every country. From sources like Tripadvisor forums, plan ahead the best way to get to the hotel upon arrival and program apps or phone numbers of taxi services and your hotels into the phone. Have addresses in written form to show your cabbie. Get familiar with using Google maps for walking directions. Keep money, credit cards and passport on your person in a zipped pocket or a crossbody bag worn in front and do not hang it on a chair back when sitting down. Keep your laptop bag with you on planes and trains, not stored overhead. Hide an emergency credit card, $100 cash and a copy of the passport under the lining of the carry on bag, and when leaving the hotel room, zip it up and leave some clothes piled on top. Put together a tiny medical kit with a few capsules of antibiotic and bubble packets for colds, diarrhea, tiny antiobiotic cream, a few bandaids, aspirin, and most importantly dry Pedialyte packets for dehydration in case of food poisoning. All this stuff is easily available to buy, but it is a hassle to go get it when you feel bad. Pack a plastic wedge door stopper for your hotel room door and a small LED flashlight. Do not take trains that arrive late at night, but if you must, take a taxi to your hotel and have some food in your bag so you don't have to go out looking for someplace that is open.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You should not be concerned with issues of safety, those cities are safe as long as she avoids "bad" areas (all cities have them).
Whether traveling solo (or even in a group), having (1)a plan of what you will be doing is prudent, i.e. going to the Louvre Museum on Tuesday (since it is closed that day) wouldn't happen if one planned properly, (2)having good maps of the cities, including mass transit operations is essential, (3)reading a few guide books can aid one in getting a "feel" of a city.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I am the father of a 26 year old daughter who has completed her master's degree and wants to tour Europe before she starts her job. She has paid for a tour to go as a group with other college students to see the world. She has decided to go to Amsterdam, Paris and Prague by herself for one week and then meet up with the rest of the tour in Italy and Greece. She will be spending One Week by herself alone where she will fly into Amsterdam from the United States and then go to Paris and then to Prague. As her father I am extremely worried about her being alone in foreign countries. I hope that someone on this site can give me some insight about whether or not my daughter will be safe. Do I need to worry about her being in these three cities alone. Is there any advice that I should give her? Thank you for any information you can give me to calm my worries.
She is an accomplished 26 year old adult who has an advanced degree.

She will be fine. In many ways, Europe is safer than the US.

She'll have a blast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.