Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by stut
Your issue is this: the trains have a step up from platform height and are mostly double-decker, the lower level being down some steps and the upper being up. There is a small area on the level, often full. How busy these trains are depends on origin and time of day. Many carry on after Amsterdam.

If you're not sure about lifting your case on and off, or relying on the kindness of strangers, then I wouldn't go by train. Otherwise, it would definitely use it.
I have the same situation in Israel and on the Malpensa Express and it has never been a great problem for me so I won't worry about it in AMS. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Great.

Once you arrive at Amsterdam CS, it's a rather busy, slightly confusing station, but you've basically got raised platforms, with three parallel tunnels underneath linking you to the front of the station (south) and the ferries over the IJ (north). Each platform has step-free access. The most obvious exit when you alight may be steps, but if you look (and there are signs) there are escalators and elevators as well. The hotel is on the east side of the station, so an exit towards the front of the train is easier. Head towards the main exit (stationsplein) and head left, past the eastern bank of tram stops. You should see the Doubletree in front of you - it's a modern structure, partly on stilts. There's a foot/cycle bridge over the canal to reach there, which you can get to across the tram tracks.

Hope this makes sense!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have the same situation in Israel and on the Malpensa Express and it has never been a great problem for me so I won't worry about it in AMS. Thanks.
Just to reassure you, I agree with Stut, and his description is exactly how I remember it the times I've been there. Very accurate.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:42 am

And if you do end up taking a taxi, make sure to only use the official taxi stand, there will be signs on the floor directing you to it, and once you are out you cannot miss the big yellow TAXI sign and the long queue of taxis (and at times also passengers)

There will be people that might look like they are official taxis (they will have some card hanging around their neck and/or orange jackets), they can be very aggressive in convincing you they are the official taxis and tell you a lot of nonsense like "the TAXI stand is only for people with reservations", just ignore them.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I realize your trip has been over for a while, but in case someone else is reading this: if you're carrying this much cash for single-ride tickets, you are likely going to be better off buying either 24- or 48-hour tickets from either your hotel or the tram operators (not sure if they sell them on buses). A 24-hour one costs 7.50 EUR, the 48-hour costs 12.50.
The coins were used up in 1 day including rail fare, grocery stores and restaurants; it wasn't a big deal at all. I wasn't spending a day in Amsterdam which is why I didn't buy a pass. I never even used the GVB or the trams. For the few hours I spent in Amsterdam, I enjoyed walking as I stored my luggage in a locker.

Last edited by Analise; Apr 28, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I broke down today and bought the three-day pass on line. It gives me the train and about all of the public transportation in Amsterdam that I could use. It cost 25 Euros and I will wait and see if I want to get it for my last three days there as well.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:33 pm

I broke down today and bought the three-day pass on line. It gives me the train and about all of the public transportation in Amsterdam that I could use. It cost 25 Euros and I will wait and see if I want to get it for my last three days there as well.
That's not a bad idea if you're planning on being out and about a lot. I love to wander around Amsterdam when I'm there. Not sure why you're going or what your plans are, but if you're going to the museums, the Leidesplein, Vondelpark, etc., they are all a very long walk from the Doubletree.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
That's not a bad idea if you're planning on being out and about a lot. I love to wander around Amsterdam when I'm there. Not sure why you're going or what your plans are, but if you're going to the museums, the Leidesplein, Vondelpark, etc., they are all a very long walk from the Doubletree.
I actually have no idea of why I am going -- except that I like wandering around cities and when I made the reservations I expected Israel to be very hot in May (it is not this year) and Amsterdam to be pleasantly cool (apparently it will be rainy and cold).

But I now have a Business Class ticket for the r/t and an award stay at the DoubleTree and will make the best of it. I enjoy going to flea markets (I know there is one in Amsterdam but I have no idea of where it is), like historical museums, and am completely crazy about German street food and am hoping that the Dutch variety is equally good.

I don't use grass and I am not big on beer so those are pretty much out for me but I love good wine and imagine I will have no problem finding it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:13 pm

It's one of my favorite European cities, top 5 for sure. Possibly the best city to just wander around in and see where you end up and what you find. If you enjoy that, I'd recommend the Jordaan area. It's probably a 10 minute (maybe a little longer) walk from your hotel. I'm sure the tram will take you there too.

The Anne Frank museum is right there as well. The Rijksmuseum is a tram ride away but definitely worth seeing. I love Van Gogh, and that museum is just a few meters further than the Rijksmuseum.

I wouldn't say Amsterdam has the "street food" culture that some other countries do. Herring stands are one though. Other than that, you'll see several small shops selling fries/frites...some with a lightly flavored mayonnaise and some that will have a selection of sauces. And try the bitterballen somewhere during your trip.

I can't help with the wine, but I'm sure you're right about finding some.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I just went to Amsterdam and loved it. So much to see or do. The only weakness is its food.

If you decide to visit Anne Frank House try to get an advance ticket online. It will save you a lot of time.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord

I wouldn't say Amsterdam has the "street food" culture that some other countries do. Herring stands are one though. Other than that, you'll see several small shops selling fries/frites...some with a lightly flavored mayonnaise and some that will have a selection of sauces.
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I just went to Amsterdam and loved it. So much to see or do. The only weakness is its food.
I can't imagine eating herring, and fries may be okay as a side dish, but I am going to miss the wursts I get in Germany, the duck dinners in Prague, the bagels & lox in New York and the jambon and cheese sandwiches in Paris.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
You could visit a place or two outside of Amsterdam if you have extra time.
I can recommend Den Haag.
Very nice city (have a good Hilton if you want a night there).
They also have a huge market (not flea-market):
http://dehaagsemarkt.nl
Easy trip there by train (~ 45 min).

Delft is also a possibility.

Try sandwiches in Amsterdam if you have trouble finding nice food :
http://awesomeamsterdam.com/best-sandwiches-amsterdam/

Yes, we are still waiting for spring in Northern Europe. It's been cold and wet for too long now.
And I went to Israel in mid-March expecting decent weather. But winter wasn't quite over yet - extremely windy, rain and too cold for my liking.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The famous flea market is the Saturday one at the Noordermarkt - definitely worth a visit.

There's some great food to be had in Amsterdam. Indonesian is particularly good - I used to always go for a rijsttafel at Temo Doeloe on Utrechtsestraat, but that always needed booking a fair way in advance. A friend living there took us to a local one out in the Nieuw Zuid, which was outstanding, but I wouldn't be able to tell you where it is from memory!

Dutch food tends to be on the hearty side - think shoulder of lamb, stews, smoked sausage. The classic lunch dish is an uitsmijter ('bouncer') - 2 or 3 eggs (should be 3) with bread and cheese, ham, or, if you're lucky, cheese and ham. You'll also find chicken satay with fries everywhere.

Street food tends to be based around fries - which they do extremely well. Normally served with mayonnaise (although satay sauce is always available), but if you're feeling brave, there is always 'patat oorlog' - literally 'war potatoes' which is served with a variety of sauces and chopped onion (supposedly looking like the aftermath of a war) - contents may vary.

And then (and we're getting into the depths of unsophisticated drunk food here) there is FEBO. Nothing to do with order of serving meals on flights, but a ubiquitous, yellow-coloured chain that sells fried stuff. Fried stuff in little individual heated compartments in self-serve rooms. Similar food is served in staff canteens at lunchtime, too - we always used to refer to it as UFOs (unidentifiable fried objects). It's... An experience.

But this is an international city. There is food from all over available here, and lots of it is great quality. It's too long since I was going there regularly to give you particularly up to date recommendations!

For wine, just look for any 'grand café' or 'brown café' - the latter are more beer-orientated. Do try 'jenever' - a gin-style spirit. There's some great ones dotted around the city - http://www.loosje.nl/ is one of the more touristy but deservedly popular ones. Bar snacks (especially bitterballen) are definitely worth trying.

Otherwise, it's just a thoroughly lovely city. The red light district is concentrated in one area (around Oudezijds Achterburgwal), with many of the coffeeshops and seedier elements of nightlife around there and Leidseplein (and the walk in along Damrak from the station). But that means it's controlled, and you can go and have a look (it's perfectly safe - the seemier side tends to come out after midnight) but then enjoy the rest of the city for what it is.

There are some wonderful city centre neighbourhoods (like the Jordaan, the 9 Straatjes, the Plantage, de Pijp) and some great museums (the newly refurbished Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum and the unrelentingly modern Stedelijk museum - prebook any popular ones!) including lesser known ones (I always enjoy FOAM). Water is all around, whether you want to relax near it, or travel on a boat.

Do watch out for bikes, though. They are such an inherent part of Dutch culture, they kind of have right of way over, well, everything!

It's very easy to get out and about, too, by both bus and train - can make recommendations if you're interested.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Re: Dutch streetfood.

Certainly would recommend trying the herring (with onions) otherwise you might try 'Kibbeling' which is a Dutch snack consisting of battered chunks of deep fried fish, commonly served with a mayonnaise-based garlic or tartar sauce or 'Lekkerbekje' (deep-fried cod). You can find it all in a fish stand.

Other possibility would be visiting a snackbar
Try a 'patatje oorlog' the sauce is a mix of mayo, sate sauce and onions and it translates to war chips with a 'frikandel speciaal' (sort of minced hot dog with curry, onions and mayonaise)
Another (new) popular dish you will find at the snackbars is Kapsalon (fries, topped with döner meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens. The dish is often served with garlic sauce and sambal,)

You might also bump into a 'Oliebollen/poffertjes' stand or 'gebakskraam'
You will find Poffertjes (small, fluffy pancakes made with yeast and buckwheat flour served with powder sugar), oliebollen (dough diep fried usually with raisins etc and served with powdered sugar) and other fritters

And of course there is that freshly made stroopwafel (syrup waffle), there is one stand at the albert cuyp markt (Dovster mentioned he likes markets)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:20 pm

Not sure when the OP will be in the Netherlands, but if it's before 16 May, I'd say check out the Keukenhof, one of the most gorgeous gardens on earth. That's why I go to the Netherlands in spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.