Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I will be spending a week in May in Amsterdam and will have one large suitcase (on wheels) and one carry-on (also on wheels). I am staying at the Doubletree, which I understand is near the central train station and there is a direct line there from the airport.

It is considerably less expensive than taking a taxi but I am wondering about how feasible it is with my luggage. Is going up or down stairs in either AMS or the central station required? Are there elevators?

Also, while it doesn't look like a far walk from the station to the Doubletree on the map, how feasible is it with my luggage?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Definitely take the train. It is quick and efficient and they run very frequently. I don't remember the specifics about elevators and such like, but I don't remember having any issues. The walk will be easy with wheelie bags.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I usually stay at the Renaissace near the station and take the train. Suitcase with wheels and a backpack. There may be stairs to the train platform, I don't recall, but it's never been a problem for me.

I believe AMS has escalators from the platform into the airport.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There are escalators and travelators at Schiphol. At Amsterdam C, there are escalators and lifts, but you may need to walk along the platform to get to them. Best way is to head forward (in direction of travel) and find the lifts there - they may be past the front of the train. This will tags you to the east tunnel, which is the closest to the Doubletree anyway.

Dead easy - I'd always opt for the train, personally.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Storage for large luggage on the train can be a pain, in the worst case you may not find a seat for the 15 minute journey and may have to stand with your bags.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:55 am

Yes, the double decker layout isn't so good for luggage. Medium sized bags may fit between seat backs, if you want to carry it up/down the steps. Otherwise, the vestibules are large, and generally have one seating area on entry level (but this is really for people who can't use the steps at all).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

I prefer not taking the large one up and down stairs but have no problem in standing for 15 minutes. Thank you all for your answers.

One other question: Where do I buy the tickets?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
I prefer not taking the large one up and down stairs but have no problem in standing for 15 minutes. Thank you all for your answers.

One other question: Where do I buy the tickets?
At the airport, there are machines, as well as ticket windows near the entrance to the trains, before you get on the escalator. At Centraal Station, more or less the same setup as you enter the station from the main doors. If I recall, the machines are right in the middle of the entry and the ticket windows are off to the side.

I don't think you'll have any problems finding tickets at either location. When you arrive at AMS just follow the signs toward the trains.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:08 am

There are also ticket machines in the baggage hall at Schiphol if you want to kill time while waiting for your luggage!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are machines that sell tickets to anywhere in Holland and other machines that only sell tickets to Amsterdam. The latter are easier to use. There are also ticket windows where you can purchase from a person with a surcharge and possibly a wait. (Make sure to avoid the lines for international train tickets.)

I've had mixed experiences in attempting to use foreign credit cards in the machines at AMS (or indeed at the windows too). IIRC it's MasterCard only and the machines require a chip or something. The fastest strategy is to pay with cash, but be sure your machine is in service for giving change if required.

Definitely take the train, especially if your hotel is walkable from CS. You just need to look for alternatives to stairs. If you're concerned about crowds on the train, you can pay a bit extra for a first class ticket and have lots of space and seats to choose.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, UA
US Visa didn't work in ticket machine

In October I couldn't use a US Visa from Capital One in the ticket machines. You can buy tickets from a cashier in the ticket office if your cards are declined at the machine.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eriknordheim
In October I couldn't use a US Visa from Capital One in the ticket machines. You can buy tickets from a cashier in the ticket office if your cards are declined at the machine.
I had the same problem in Verona with my German Mastercard (because I do not know the PIN number). I didn't think to try my German debit card, for which I do have the number.

In any case, I will have enough Euros with me so that it won't be a problem (assuming instructions are available in English, Italian, French or Hebrew -- but NOT just in Dutch).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:09 pm

Do the ticket machines from Amsterdam Centraal accept bills and give change? Can one buy tickets a day in advance or must it be the same day?

Last edited by Analise; Mar 18, 2016 at 2:17 pm
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
I had the same problem in Verona with my German Mastercard (because I do not know the PIN number). I didn't think to try my German debit card, for which I do have the number.

In any case, I will have enough Euros with me so that it won't be a problem (assuming instructions are available in English, Italian, French or Hebrew -- but NOT just in Dutch).
No worries. The instructions are multilingual. Probably all of your four languages are supported.

If possible, have some Euro coins rather than just bills. IMO the machines that successfully give change tend to be out of order, so that the functioning ones have longer lines.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are machines that sell tickets to anywhere in Holland and other machines that only sell tickets to Amsterdam. The latter are easier to use.
This is not true (anymore?). All ticket machines sell all tickets, however some tickets are mostly suitable for those living in the Netherlands (because you need to have an existing public transportation chipcard).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.