Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Are these day-long tickets available at the airport? Also, are they valid for the trams only or can they be used on the train to get to the Central Station?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
The 24/48-hour tickets are only valid on buses, metros and trams operated by GVB, and therefore not on trams. They're probably available from the tourist information at Schiphol.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
Sorry to break it to you, but you spelled it correctly
I'm told I pronounce "Scheveningen" correctly, too.

Must be that online Dutch course I'm taking.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Everything you need to know about public transport in the Netherlands (for visitors) can be found on this new website. You can also buy tickets online for transport, attractions and combi tickets (including the AMS day tickets for collection at the airport) with creditcard or Paypal.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:35 am

The 24/48-hour tickets are only valid on buses, metros and trams operated by GVB, and therefore not on trams. They're probably available from the tourist information at Schiphol.
Might want to re-read what you wrote. In the second instance, did you mean "trains"? In which case, correct, the day cards would not be valid.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Might want to re-read what you wrote. In the second instance, did you mean "trains"? In which case, correct, the day cards would not be valid.
The website linked to by KLflyerRalph shows the 3 day pass as good for:

Incl. 2nd class rail travel between Schiphol Airport and any station in Amsterdam.
Incl. shuttle service to and from Schiphol airport by the Amsterdam Airport Express (bus 197) and Niteliner (bus N97).
Incl. travel in all buses, trams, metros and ferries operated by GVB.

That would give me the choice of taking either the train or the bus into Amsterdam. Does the bus shuttle service go to/near the DoubleTree? It would save me the trouble of going up/down stairs with the two suitcases.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
The website linked to by KLflyerRalph shows the 3 day pass as good for:

Incl. 2nd class rail travel between Schiphol Airport and any station in Amsterdam.
Incl. shuttle service to and from Schiphol airport by the Amsterdam Airport Express (bus 197) and Niteliner (bus N97).
Incl. travel in all buses, trams, metros and ferries operated by GVB.

That would give me the choice of taking either the train or the bus into Amsterdam. Does the bus shuttle service go to/near the DoubleTree? It would save me the trouble of going up/down stairs with the two suitcases.
I can't answer the bus route question, but last time I was there they had escalators at Schipol to the train platform (maybe elevators too, I don't recall).
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
DT Central Station or NDSM Wharf?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
DT Central Station or NDSM Wharf?
I don't know its name but I think it is the Central -- it is right next to the Doubletree.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:12 pm

Bus 197 goes to Leidseplein, which requires you'll also take the tram to central station and then walk to the hotel. You'd be much, much faster if you take the train.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
There are elevators at Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal railway stations. Bus 197 doesn't stop near Centraal Station, so you need to transfer to a tram or walk about 30 minutes if you take this bus to Leidseplein.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:22 pm

Bus 197 goes to Leidseplein, which requires you'll also take the tram to central station and then walk to the hotel. You'd be much, much faster if you take the train.
Also, the bus costs a separate 5 EUR one way (not covered by the day passes).
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Okay, having read all of the above, my situation comes down to this:

I am 70-years-old and will have one large suitcase and one cabin piece. Both are on wheels. Yes, I could wheel them both from the Centraal Train Station to the DoubleTree but the condition I will be in by the time I arrive at the hotel depends on how far a walk it is (and if it is a level walk or up and down hills).

If you have ever walked from the train station to the hotel, do you advise me to take the train or fork out about 45 Euros for a taxi?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:01 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can literally see the Doubletree from the (east end of the) platform - a taxi will barely take you closer. Both stations (Schiphol and A'dam CS) have step-free access to/from the platform, be it by elevator, escalator or moving walkway.

Your issue is this: the trains have a step up from platform height and are mostly double-decker, the lower level being down some steps and the upper being up. There is a small area on the level, often full. How busy these trains are depends on origin and time of day. Many carry on after Amsterdam.

If you're not sure about lifting your case on and off, or relying on the kindness of strangers, then I wouldn't go by train. Otherwise, it would definitely use it.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:32 am

A taxi to central station in light traffic will cost about 50 EUR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.