Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrade on Empty Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Operational Upgrade on Empty Flight

I was upgraded at the AUH biz check-in counter (original ticket was class K) for a virtually empty flight.

I have been Gold with Etihad since 2018, flew 30~40 legs, but I never got an upgrade, even on very overbooked ones. So I was genuinely not expecting an upgrade to come out of the blue, especially when there are only less than 10 people flying economy on a 787 on this route!

Can someone tell me what the computer algorithm was thinking? I'm elated and confused simultaneously.
anna2017 likes this.

Last edited by SpanishSamurai; Jun 12, 2021 at 2:15 am
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SpanishSamurai
Just flew in happily from AUH-NRT on Jun.11th as I was bumped at the AUH biz check-in counter (original ticket was class K) for a virtually empty flight.

I have been Gold with Etihad since 2018, flew 30~40 legs, but I never got an upgrade, even on very overbooked ones. So I was genuinely not expecting an upgrade to come out of the blue, especially when there are only less than 10 people flying economy on a 787!

Can someone tell me what the computer algorithm was thinking? I'm elated and confused simultaneously.
I wonder if it was a weight balancing thing and you were the most senior flyer (from loyalty I mean)
Were there many in J and were you spaced evenly as in balanced for weight ? And don't forget balancing is also fore and aft not just side to side
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I wonder if it was a weight balancing thing and you were the most senior flyer (from loyalty I mean)
Were there many in J and were you spaced evenly as in balanced for weight ? And don't forget balancing is also fore and aft not just side to side
A 787 with ten people on board is not going to need weight balancing.
NoY and anna2017 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Any other thoughts?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Discovery Hotels, Bonvoy
They are upgrading Gold/Platinum members on flights as long as there is availability. I have heard the same happen to many others, and in most cases they are contacted before departure to be informed of the upgrade which is due to their status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.