Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your Op-Up success 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Post your Op-Up success 2018

Stealing from Emirates forum, because... why not. Posting after my year got off to an excellent start.

Upgrade Given:
Upgrade Location:
Route:
Flight Number:
Date:
Type of ticket:
Tier Status:
Pax on PNR (inc poster):

Me
Upgrade Given: Y - J
Upgrade Location: Gate
Route: AUH-LHR
Flight Number: EY 11
Date: 06/01/2018
Type of ticket: Classic
Tier Status: Silver
Pax on PNR (inc poster): 1

Only the second time I've received an Op-Up on this route - usually only on the Asian legs of my journey. Incredibly grateful - had a pretty poor experience on my way to Asia before Christmas (post incoming) - so a nice thing to receive.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:34 pm

that's why I don't understand why you are so disappointed about EY services.... there was fog on your trip to Asia, right? and you got a good accomodation also while others in dubai where waiting at the airport for hours...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ianis
that's why I don't understand why you are so disappointed about EY services.... there was fog on your trip to Asia, right? and you got a good accomodation also while others in dubai where waiting at the airport for hours...
I don't recall slamming EY services in the first place? They can certainly make improvements, but EY remains a good airline.

They didn't really have a choice to put me up somewhere, though; the flight arrived in Bombay, and my destination airport was tiny so had irregular flights (one daily with Jet).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
Didn't happen to me, happened to a relative

Upgrade Given: J - F
Route: AUH - JFK
Flight Number: EY103
Date: Jan 3rd
Type of ticket: Not sure
Tier Status: Platinum

I'm hoping to get a Y - J upgrade on this route soon as a platinum but I feel it's unlikely
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ss1710
Didn't happen to me, happened to a relative

Route: AUH - JFK
Flight Number: EY103
Date: Jan 3rd
Type of ticket: Not sure

I'm hoping to get a Y - J upgrade on this route soon as a platinum but I feel it's unlikely
That's a decent upgrade to receive! Lucky relative.

Hope you get the Y-J upgrade. As mentioned, I got it on the AUH-LHR route having literally just said to a family member (online) that I had "no chance of an upgrade"
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
The AUH>MNL route is an absolute certainty for op-ups
As a gold member over the last 5 years I have been upgraded from Economy to business 9/10 flights.
As a platinum member it would now seem that its 100% of the time...so far so good
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattler
The AUH>MNL route is an absolute certainty for op-ups
As a gold member over the last 5 years I have been upgraded from Economy to business 9/10 flights.
As a platinum member it would now seem that its 100% of the time...so far so good
Even as silver, I usually get Op-Up'd to MAA from AUH - they don't have the same strict overselling costs that you get in the EU.
DatBoi likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Recondite
Even as silver, I usually get Op-Up'd to MAA from AUH - they don't have the same strict overselling costs that you get in the EU.
Op-up's are nice and all - but J Flex can be very cheap on the route originating both ways, the difference can be as low as AED100.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Op-up's are nice and all - but J Flex can be very cheap on the route originating both ways, the difference can be as low as AED100.
Checked two random dates (one in May, one in Sept) for a return AUH > MAA.

Cheapest Economy seat eligible for upgrade = AED650. Cheapest Business (Saver) = AED1200, and Business Flex = 2550.

That's a huge difference for a relatively minor upgrade - the why would I but a flex ticket on a date I know I am 100% going to fly, anyway? The air miles are not worth the significant extra charge.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Checked two random dates (one in May, one in Sept) for a return AUH > MAA.

Cheapest Economy seat eligible for upgrade = AED650. Cheapest Business (Saver) = AED1200, and Business Flex = 2550.

That's a huge difference for a relatively minor upgrade - the why would I but a flex ticket on a date I know I am 100% going to fly, anyway? The air miles are not worth the significant extra charge.
I said can be.
Right now there is a major price difference - but when I booked most of my travels in early DEC - there was virtually no difference.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DatBoi
I said can be.
Right now there is a major price difference - but when I booked most of my travels in early DEC - there was virtually no difference.
Well, yes, sales can occur. It isn't a normal thing. I've never personally seen those fares, and I fly the route regularly.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:05 am
Suspended

Well, yes, sales can occur. It isn't a normal thing. I've never personally seen those fares, and I fly the route regularly.
It's not unusual on the route.
The only thing we need on the route is a flatbed 330.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Upgrade Given: Y - J
Route: AMM - AUH
Flight Number: EY 514
Date: 07/01/2018
Type of ticket: Classic
Pax on PNR (inc poster): 2

First time since I became Platinum in June 2016 that both of us have been upgraded on the same flight.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:28 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Route: AUH-SIN
Flight Number: EY470
Date: January 2018
Type of ticket: Reward Ticket
Tier Status: Gold

Mrs NoY was very happy with her upgrade, travelling solo ^
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Upgrade Location: Security prior to US Preclearance
Route: AUH-JFK
Flight Number: EY101
Date: Today
Type of ticket: Economy with mileage upgrade to Business

Economy massively oversold on this one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.