Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Relatives flew YB; Have no account; who should they accrue with? THANKS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relatives flew YB; Have no account; who should they accrue with? THANKS!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Recondite
​​​​​​
Literally my first sentence; "I wouldn't say it is worth buying more expensive tickets just for the air miles"

£500 for his whole family on the off-chance of an op-up (which for three people... almost impossible), and cheaper upgrades that he seemingly doesn't plan to do for this flight is terrible value. Once again, refer to my first sentence - it's not worth upgrading fare type purely for air miles, only if you need one of the other benefits for *that* flight.
Correct, we do not intend to pay for upgrades with miles or cash on these tickets, they are a cheap 10 day holiday.

One thing I always do is split the ticket, so me or my wife have separate PNR's. This will have a better chance of an opup than we would if we were all on one ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Well I have to say this is an unusual forum. A newbie comes along with a mileage credit question and you guys start arguing among yourselves regarding the cost of a hotel in Thailand ????
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Lurker
Well I have to say this is an unusual forum. A newbie comes along with a mileage credit question and you guys start arguing among yourselves regarding the cost of a hotel in Thailand ????

​​​​​​Apologies, Lurker - you are correct, I got consumed by other responses.

In this case, I would recommend crediting to AA rather than Etihad (assume retrospective crediting is allowed). I tried to book an American Airlines redemption a few days back using Etihad miles and it was nothing short of a nightmare. Eventually concluded there were no available award seats, before being phoned 6 hours later to say they had found some (I do wonder if she was searching that whole time!!).

Etihad is fine if they redeem on Etihad, but partner redemptions tend to be a little hit and miss, from my experience
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Recondite
​​​​​​Apologies, Lurker - you are correct, I got consumed by other responses.

In this case, I would recommend crediting to AA rather than Etihad (assume retrospective crediting is allowed). I tried to book an American Airlines redemption a few days back using Etihad miles and it was nothing short of a nightmare. Eventually concluded there were no available award seats, before being phoned 6 hours later to say they had found some (I do wonder if she was searching that whole time!!).

Etihad is fine if they redeem on Etihad, but partner redemptions tend to be a little hit and miss, from my experience
Ironically it is easier to book a CX F award than find availability on AA metal (which he intends to use the miless for). EY rates on AA are also quite lucrative. Do they have status or loyalty etc...
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Ironically it is easier to book a CX F award than find availability on AA metal (which he intends to use the miless for). EY rates on AA are also quite lucrative. Do they have status or loyalty etc...
Furthering what I said earlier (@Lurker, this is for you, too!):

AA seems even stronger now. I've looked at their mileage charts, and it appears that EY mileage is 12500 miles for domestic flights, AA is 12500 for domestic, or 7500 if under 500 miles. As the OP said they are looking at domestic flights, this implies AA is the better choice.

Further, the OP clearly states that they don't yet have accounts, and therefore status is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.