Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Using the AUH Premium lounge before US CBP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using the AUH Premium lounge before US CBP?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Just Refund the Etihad tkt & rebook w EK.
But then you can't go from an ETIHAD apartment to the EK suite.
My comment is based on "...an ETIHAD apartment then in the EK suite ..."
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:39 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LukeO9
But then you can't go from an ETIHAD apartment to the EK suite.
My comment is based on "...an ETIHAD apartment then in the EK suite ..."
There are multiple ports one can do this. AUH-SYD on EY connecting to SYD-AKL on EK... Obviously separate tickets.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by m0hamed
There are multiple ports one can do this. AUH-SYD on EY connecting to SYD-AKL on EK... Obviously separate tickets.
You can actually use the SAME ticket. EY & EK have ticketing agreements. It's much easier to book this thru a travel agent however. If you can buy a single ticket with EK connecting to LY, (I've done it a number of times DXB-CAI-TLV or VV) then you can pretty much connect to anyone else
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Even AUH. EK "flys" to AUH (although it's a bus from DXB) they still give it a flight number. So technically you can fly JFK-DXB-AUH (on EK) connecting to AUH-anywhere (on EY)
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:40 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Even AUH. EK "flys" to AUH (although it's a bus from DXB) they still give it a flight number. So technically you can fly JFK-DXB-AUH (on EK) connecting to AUH-anywhere (on EY)
Taking a bus for 90 mins is not the same as connecting within a port.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Taking a bus for 90 mins is not the same as connecting within a port.
Of course not but OP wanted to know if you can connect from EK to ETIHAD on the same tkt. The "Bus" makes no sense anyway if your traveling in J or F class since you have the chauffeur drive (however, for some strange reason the "bus" does sell F, A, C, etc etc fares
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
Chinatrader, here's my advice as a fellow iO. The EY F apartment is a nice hard product. It's unique in that it takes up the space of 2 EK suites. But honestly their ground experience is awful. The service also leaves a lot to be desired.
My experience is that I feel at home on EK because I know the product so well.
I would say fly the apartmentjust to experience it, but I can guarantee its not that amazing.
Also, I don't know about you but I have to say I enjoy the special treatment as an iO. It sucks to go from being a VIP on EK to just another F pax on another airline! But that's just me.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139
Also, I don't know about you but I have to say I enjoy the special treatment as an iO. It sucks to go from being a VIP on EK to just another F pax on another airline! But that's just me.
its not just you
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139
Chinatrader, here's my advice as a fellow iO. The EY F apartment is a nice hard product. It's unique in that it takes up the space of 2 EK suites. But honestly their ground experience is awful. The service also leaves a lot to be desired.
My experience is that I feel at home on EK because I know the product so well.
I would say fly the apartmentjust to experience it, but I can guarantee its not that amazing.
Even forgetting the IO (just for a second ), seems to me I know what to expect with EK F, especially on the ground and on board the 380 (Im not a great fan of the 77W, even in F. EK has a truly consistent product while I can only tell by what I've read here that Etihad is hit or miss. A big difference is the fleet, Etihad seems to have more equipment subs and delays, while EK does not have this problem (at least in DXB) When you have over 60 380's and almost 100 777's its easy to swap one out.......no so on Etihad.

Just an observation but Etihad seems to spend more time investing and running other airlines instead of taking 100pct of their energy an putting it towards making their airline the best it can be
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:54 pm

what do you mean

when you say "no dine on demand"?

I've flown EY F many times all around the world and F is entirely dine on demand. you can dine whenever yo uwant, not according to any pre-set time as determined by the crew. Just tell them when you want to eat and they'll prepare your food, whenever.

The F lounge at AUH is finalizing construction and will be complete by May. Too late for your flight it sounds, but it will be there.

Delays are largely a thing of the past on EY. Though very rampant once CBP started they're no longer as frequent. I haven't had a problem in a long time.

Crews are hit and miss on any airline. Usually and more often than not they're a delight on EY. I can say the same thing about the crews on EK.

Overall, you should have stayed with EY. More room and a more luxurious F cabin for sure. Not sure what you mean by the dine on demand thing.

Well, for the first time FT talked me OUT of a flight. Switching my ETIHAD Apartment for my tried and true EK suite next week. Really wanted to try the apartment but I have not read ONE thread here that convinces me to fly ETIHAD over EK. Yes, the suites do seem nicer but commmonnnn........no proper F lounge, no dine on demand, crappy on board lounge, hit or miss crews & rampant delays. some might disagree, I've never had a bad crew on EK F in 19 years (not to mention the CBP in Abu Dhabi sounds like a pain in the .... Maybe some other time (no wonder mileage redemptions from AA are relatively easy on ETIHAD. THEY CANT SELL THE SEATS!!! Certainly not a problem on EK's 380's to JFK, LAX, SFO & IAH (except last Xmas day where there were only 3 of us in F DXB-LAX )))))))
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasondc
when you say "no dine on demand"?

Not sure what you mean by the dine on demand thing.
I've been corrected numerous times since this post and told that I was wrong and yes, EY does indeed have dine on demand. However, I am still reading at least a post a day either complaining about having to order right before or after takeoff (even for a meal you don't plan to eat for 11 hours), running out of food on long flights in F and yes, while I do now understand that dine on demand is standard, according to a few posts here, it still does not happen every time it should (but granted, that seems the exception, not the rule)

Obviously, I can't take every complaint I've read here to heart (believing everything written on FT is like believing everything you read on Wikipedia . However, every negative post can't be wrong. Yes, I get that I was misinformed and Etihad does indeed have dine on demand but I also see more complaints about the dine on demand service on Etihad (not the food itself) then on any other airlines treads over read - I hope I'm wrong and misinformed. Ill know tomorrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.