Wiki Posts
Search

A380 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:11 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by SuiteFlight
None that I encountered, some other poster mentioned it seems to make more of a difference if you are in the back of the aircraft (visit by senior cabin crew member, little treats from Business, etc). Online award availability exactly the same, and no difference in call centre contact.

Oddly, sometimes I even had Etihad Gold printed on my boarding pass (this was weeks after my status was updated to Etihad Platinum).

Basically put, it seems there is little if any benefits beyond the ones stated on the Platinum page (a lot of airlines have additional unpublished benefits for top tiers, small but nonetheless valuable perks that round out the published perks). Not having a current First lounge means a large benefit of Platinum is missing, but glad I went to the effort to at least check it out for myself.

Thanks for the feedback I think the improved award availability is something that would have been helpful.

I think generally if you're flying J/F anyway, status really doesn't make a difference.

Also speaking of the first class lounge at AUH - do you think there is a chance that it'll be open in the first quarter of 2016 - if it'll actually ever open??
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Well, I'll make it 3 for 3 . I've flown QF F and CX F multiple times, although I haven't flown QR F yet. I'd also add JL. The eggs cooked to order on EY is a great touch and my eggs were perfectly cooked to my request and really good, but the other catering could be better for sure. For me, the big shortfall is the bed; to have all of that space to make a separate bed and to end up having a bed that isn't top in class is poor form. QF F, EK F, and SQ Suites beds are better despite involving the seat, and the benchmark for a separate bed of course is the no longer available LH 747-400 F which was oh so comfy for sleeping. EY F bed simply isn't close to any of those, despite having less of a limitation on the layout.
Of those airlines/aircraft I've flown that have had a seperate bed, they've lead me to a conclusion that it's better to have a lie-flat seat alone. Seperate beds take up a lot of space, and just tend to be poor substitutes sadly. Just give me a well cushioned seat (it's odd that we had better cushioned seats on aircraft - the flying armchairs of the 70s - than we do today) that can lie flat without a restrictive footbox and leave that extra space to offer decent storage and a seat that doesn't feel hemmed in and I think you are onto a winner. The best bed on a commercial passenger jet is currently the crew rest loft I think
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by HB7
I think generally if you're flying J/F anyway, status really doesn't make a difference.

Also speaking of the first class lounge at AUH - do you think there is a chance that it'll be open in the first quarter of 2016 - if it'll actually ever open??
Agreed, status does not make any difference at all flying in J or F.

I heard that they are now planning on reopening the AUH F lounge in the second quarter of 2016. I might be wrong, but won't that be around a two year closure???
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Just give me a well cushioned seat (it's odd that we had better cushioned seats on aircraft - the flying armchairs of the 70s - than we do today) that can lie flat without a restrictive footbox and leave that extra space to offer decent storage and a seat that doesn't feel hemmed in and I think you are onto a winner. The best bed on a commercial passenger jet is currently the crew rest loft I think
Sounds like the current EK F suite or the SQ Suites product?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Sounds like the current EK F suite or the SQ Suites product?
That's most First Class seats/suites really, only a few have opted for a seat and seperate bed combo.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by HB7
Thanks for the feedback I think the improved award availability is something that would have been helpful.

Agreed, especially since they really cut Etihad Guest award availability on the A380 - it went from wide open to almost non-existant (it happened overnight a couple of months ago so definately seems an intentional move, especially as availability on other aircraft remains fairly decent for the same routes). They could have made that a point of difference with Platinum, for example.

On other airlines (to varying degrees), even when travelling in J/F, I find elite status can be quite a boon for things like disruptions, resolving issues, special assistance, etc. I know with Etihad, if there is disruption, it's not something they consider (if fact, whether in Economy, Business, or First you get the same one size fits all response).

Qantas, by way of small example, take meal orders in premium cabins by status level usually on international flights lately. And their normal top tier members (and invitation status members) get special disruption services by way of big impact example.

As for guessing First lounge re-opening dates, I don't bother trying to pick one. If we've learnt anything of late, it's that it'll be open when it's open and everything else is just fanciful thinking.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:13 pm
HB7

As for guessing First lounge re-opening dates, I don't bother trying to pick one. If we've learnt anything of late, it's that it'll be open when it's open and everything else is just fanciful thinking.
Yes I guess you have a really good point there.

I guess we have become accustomed to expecting things late - although I don't see what they are building in this lounge for it be so late.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
Yes I guess you have a really good point there.

I guess we have become accustomed to expecting things late - although I don't see what they are building in this lounge for it be so late.
Hopes and dreams lol
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:42 pm
HB7

Hopes and dreams lol
Hahahahaha. LOL
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I see a number of comments about traveling with a companion, and wanting to share meals, movies, and conversations.

Seems amazing that the carriers have not thought about these concerns and made options available.

We are booking some RTW tickets with multiple carriers and find our options limited.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I see a number of comments about traveling with a companion, and wanting to share meals, movies, and conversations.

Seems amazing that the carriers have not thought about these concerns and made options available.

We are booking some RTW tickets with multiple carriers and find our options limited.
For your First Class flights where you want to be as close to your partner as possible, SQ Suites (middle pair) are your best option (outside Etihad's The Residence) I suspect.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:36 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

Traveling with a companion these are your options on the carriers I have flown F on:

EY 77W or A346 - One of the middle pairs, however of these four seats one is always blocked for mobility pax.

QF A388 F - 1/2A or K. You will be in front or behind each other.

BA 744 F - 1A/K. Very close in Zone A.
BA 777 F - Any middle pair

EK A388 F - Any middle pair
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Traveling with a companion these are your options on the carriers I have flown F on:

EY 77W or A346 - One of the middle pairs, however of these four seats one is always blocked for mobility pax.

QF A388 F - 1/2A or K. You will be in front or behind each other.

BA 744 F - 1A/K. Very close in Zone A.
BA 777 F - Any middle pair

EK A388 F - Any middle pair
Thanks. We have the EK A380 booked U.S. to Dubai, and Dubai to Europe in First with the middle paid. Hate to give up window, but this will work.

Speaking of window... as a couple, having to climb over the other is not an issue, if available.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Q

For your First Class flights where you want to be as close to your partner as possible, SQ Suites (middle pair) are your best option (outside Etihad's The Residence) I suspect.
Like SQ, many airlines' F cabins do have pairs of middle seats that make conversation easy enough. And for many airlines the F seats' footrests also serve as buddy seats (complete with seat belts) that mean you can sit across from each other while sharing a meal, drinks and conversation. (This is especially nice of you both would prefer window seats.) And of course the EY 380 F apartments have plenty of room to sit and talk to each other as well as dine together.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:53 am

Those reports are right about the bed (it's very firm even if you sleep on the leather pad, the foam pad, the blanket and the doona), on my last flight the bed wasn't even flat (slightly dipping on the left) - not comfortable at all. The seat isn't all the comfortable either and has less adjustability than other First seats.

The bathrooms are smaller than Emirates, but the shower itself is only a little smaller in terms of space and I actually like the Etihad shower more than the Emirates one (has better water pressure IMO) - especially with the Le Labo toiletries (Six Sense stuff pretty sad). The Emirates shower attendants keep the Emirates A380 bathrooms spotless, Etihad a little less so (but still acceptable). Both Etihad and Emirates showers share the room with a toilet and I don't find it a problem personally.

The Etihad A380 First Apartment has a feeling of space, but most of it is wasted space IMO and a missed opportunity in my book. It's also surprising how worn the A380 First Apartments are starting to get given they are still very young - I've encountered broken doors and drawers, loose seals, patched up dividers, pen marks and things falling off.

Having flown a number of carriers in First, I wouldn't rate it as a leading First Class experience.
I would humbly like to add my opinion to this post with my thoughts about Etihad F on their A380's. Not sure if one leg LHR/AUH, in early Feb and a long haul SYD/LHR return June/August qualifies me, but here goes. Do understand that I am not young, so my priorities may be very different to some younger posters, and I am retired so now have to pay for my ticket!

I find the wonderful 'private space' offered, especially if travelling alone almost priceless. The price of the F class ticket (bearing in mind that I do also use the free chauffeur transfer from LHR to my final UK destination, included in the ticket to the max): is from Australia at least $2 grand cheaper than any other F class offering.

I have always been treated with great courtesy. In flight have always had great service.

On board showers do not excite me personally, but I do appreciate that for some getting off a flight straight into a business meeting a shower before landing may be a deal breaker. Yes, the bed with its much spruked 'coco mattress' and 'poltrona frau' leather overlay could be softer, but its not that bad, last AUH/SYD segment managed to get 8 hrs quality sleep, and thats from a grannie with bone grafts and titanium screws in her back.

Could not agree more that Etihad's service on ground is often woeful, but I have genuinely 'weighed up' my options, and no other airline seems to compare price wise/on board product wise as I type.

Any other suggestions would be very gratefully received...suspect I will need to do yet another SYD/LHR return flight in the next 10 weeks or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.