FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A380 First Class
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:17 am
SuiteFlight

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Well, I'll make it 3 for 3 . I've flown QF F and CX F multiple times, although I haven't flown QR F yet. I'd also add JL. The eggs cooked to order on EY is a great touch and my eggs were perfectly cooked to my request and really good, but the other catering could be better for sure. For me, the big shortfall is the bed; to have all of that space to make a separate bed and to end up having a bed that isn't top in class is poor form. QF F, EK F, and SQ Suites beds are better despite involving the seat, and the benchmark for a separate bed of course is the no longer available LH 747-400 F which was oh so comfy for sleeping. EY F bed simply isn't close to any of those, despite having less of a limitation on the layout.
Of those airlines/aircraft I've flown that have had a seperate bed, they've lead me to a conclusion that it's better to have a lie-flat seat alone. Seperate beds take up a lot of space, and just tend to be poor substitutes sadly. Just give me a well cushioned seat (it's odd that we had better cushioned seats on aircraft - the flying armchairs of the 70s - than we do today) that can lie flat without a restrictive footbox and leave that extra space to offer decent storage and a seat that doesn't feel hemmed in and I think you are onto a winner. The best bed on a commercial passenger jet is currently the crew rest loft I think