Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding transportation voucher: who, where, howto use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:04 am
Original Poster

AUH-JFK flight was overbooked and I was denied boarding. I was handed a $300 voucher. Etihad seems not to have any published information or T&C as to how these vouchers are supposed to work. Calling Abu Dhabi and New York offices resulted in contrasting responses and Etihad's facebook team is incredibly useless.
What I would like to know about this voucher is whether it can be used:
- online?
- over the phone?
- for upgrades (online, over the phone, and at the airport on the day of travel)?
- for excess baggage fees?
- for change fees?
- with any of the Etihad's partner airlines?
- for a family or friend?
- for on-board duty free shopping?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Interesting you raise this issue, I have had a near identical situation. Etihad doles these vouchers relatively happily to passengers who have been denied boarding for whatever reason, knowing that these vouchers are very difficult to use at out-stations.
There are two points here, one is that amount that they give you is not enough, but I won't get into that.
Second point is usability of these vouchers. I tried using them at JFK and was told they can not be used at the airport, only at the city office. Calling Etihad was largely useless as you mentioned, no one seems to know exactly what and where you can use them.
Now, Etihad have an office in Midtown Manhattan where you can visit and book a ticket and use the voucher towards payment of the ticket. But for those people who live far away from New York City, they have no option, the voucher is largely useless as unless they visit the ticket office themselves, it cannot be used online or over the phone so ends up wasted.
I don't know how many other airlines have a similar set-up as to using these vouchers, but for Etihad it's a great advantage as they get to give away vouchers which only a small percentage will end up being used.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

A simple Google search reveals that many people had similar issues with this type of vouchers in the past, yet no helpful response, reaction, or anything from Etihad.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:27 pm

So it seems, nothing has changed in this matter.
This year I was denied boarding on a AUH-SIN flight. I received a 200 usd voucher. Since I live in Poland and there is no Etihad office in the country, I have probably no opportunity to use the voucher. The Facebook Etihad team is still useless and the phone customer service told me to... go to Abu Dhabi with my voucher LOL I won't fly with Ethad anymore.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:32 pm

I used mine towards an upgrade in Bangkok airport before,had to put £60 towards it but worked for me
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
AUH-JFK flight was overbooked and I was denied boarding. I was handed a $300 voucher. Etihad seems not to have any published information or T&C as to how these vouchers are supposed to work. Calling Abu Dhabi and New York offices resulted in contrasting responses and Etihad's facebook team is incredibly useless.
What I would like to know about this voucher is whether it can be used:
- online?
- over the phone?
- for upgrades (online, over the phone, and at the airport on the day of travel)?
- for excess baggage fees?
- for change fees?
- with any of the Etihad's partner airlines?
- for a family or friend?
- for on-board duty free shopping?
You can redeem the same by calling Etihad airways toll free no from your country. Just share your voucher number. They will confirm some details and after verification you can tell him your origin destination travel date. And they will proceed the same. I am from india and also redeemed the same by the above process. Please try I hope you will get benefitted. Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Matloobreza
You can redeem the same by calling Etihad airways toll free no from your country. Just share your voucher number. They will confirm some details and after verification you can tell him your origin destination travel date. And they will proceed the same. I am from india and also redeemed the same by the above process. Please try I hope you will get benefitted. Thanks
The post was made > 4 years ago so maybe mizzou1 has used his voucher or it has expired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.