Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ETIHAD versus Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cedarjet, I find CX a much better airline overall than SQ, if you hate the CX A330's, then you will absolutely despise many of the 777's used by SQ.

ung1. Almost all airlines that I have status in give full miles on all tickets, so that really is not a deciding factor for me, I also find that any program which has expiration on its miles to be poor for example.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
JFK-del on etihad

Im lying this route soon and will report back!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
So the consensus is that EY's service, F&B is superior to EK?
Well, I would have agreed two years ago. Nowadays, I would always prefer EK food in biz over EY food in biz. Portions are ridiculously small in EY biz, and they often run out of booze. All a reflection of the cost cutting to make EY break even last year.

In economy, EK food is inedible. EY is o.k.-ish (for economy food).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Comparing J on the two airlines

I might have a choice later this year of flying EY or EK J RT, Dhaka-LHR-Dhaka. Am I correct in assuming that the J seats are better on the EY flights and that I'll know exactly what kind of seat I'm getting, as opposed to the variable quality of EK J seats hinging on which plane I go on?

Also, for sufficiently long stopovers between flights, do both airlines put up J passengers in nearby airport hotels?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: BA; QF; EK; SQ; GA
Emirates versus Etihad in 2012

I have been frequently flying Emirates Indonesia - UK route but wonder if economy in Etihad might be better and if so what are the benefits. Anyone?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Resurrecting the EY v EK debate.

I've had a strong preference for EY over EK (at least in business class) in recent years anyway, but was considering EK for a family-of-three CAI-DXB-BKK and return holiday trip next month - if only so that we could lose our A380 virginity!

However an EY CAI-AUH-BKK and return business class itinerary for the three of us was pricing out the other day at GBP2,600, against GBP4,200 for an EK CAI-DXB-BKK and return itinerary.

Needless to say we're flying EY!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
would be interesting to know what is situation now. i just was told that EK is the best in the world, and I should fly it atleast once in my life. Any comments?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
ETIHAD versus Emirates

Yes you should fly EK at least once in your lifetime. Couldn't agree more.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
I have flown both in business and First and I prefer EY for business, but EK for F. I don't think you can beat the 380 F, though some of the older F are not nearly as nice. I prefer flying into AUH vs DXB! EY business lounge can be over crowded, but can be really nice at times, while EK is a zoo and not pleasant in my view. Both F lounges were great, I did like going right from F lounge to gate with EK F on 380. Spa seems easier to get in with EK ve EY, though Thai beats them both!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:12 am

TBH I am not sure why this comparison is even made. EK is a much bigger airline than EY. About 3x bigger in fact. EK is profitable EY is not. EY is brand new and will of course be doing different things to gain market share. EY simply don't have the choice of routes or frequency to compare like for like. So unless you are traveling specific routes at specific times or are going to a holiday destination I would say that you should compare EY to QR or GF. The comparison for EK should be VS BA, SQ etc.

As EY grows and manages that growth and makes money then the comparison with EK becomes more relevant. Also interesting to see this is one of the most popular threads on the EY forum but a similar debate doesn't seem to feature highly on the EK forum.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
TBH I am not sure why this comparison is even made. EK is a much bigger airline than EY. About 3x bigger in fact. EK is profitable EY is not. EY is brand new and will of course be doing different things to gain market share.
If "Brand New" means established in 2003, then EY is brand new. Otherwise the airline is 9 years old.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brand new compared to what? Its almost a decade old and EK has another decade on it??!!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:42 pm

ETIHAD versus Emirates

Yes in airline terms, even when compared to QR and certainly to EK. It is indeed brand new. And not making any money yet.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Resurrecting debate. Looking at FCO-NRT in F. EK prices out at 3500 EUR in F (380 all the way) and EY prices out at 3600 EUR in F (330 all the way).

Am I right in going with EK? I truly enjoyed their F on BKK-HKG-BKK, and the cabin is not to be beat (in my opinion, having tried F on LX, LH, TG, OZ, NH).
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Resurrecting debate. Looking at FCO-NRT in F. EK prices out at 3500 EUR in F (380 all the way) and EY prices out at 3600 EUR in F (330 all the way).

Am I right in going with EK? I truly enjoyed their F on BKK-HKG-BKK, and the cabin is not to be beat (in my opinion, having tried F on LX, LH, TG, OZ, NH).
IN a word - yes. Go with EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.