Search

Baggage question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Hotels Silver
Baggage question

Hi everyone!
Wondering if you can help me. I have a ticket that doesn't call out how much baggage is included. I tried to buy an additional piece online but I am only getting an option to buy additional weight.
Can you please let me know if anyone had this before?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:00 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by sergeyontheroad
Hi everyone!
Wondering if you can help me. I have a ticket that doesn't call out how much baggage is included. I tried to buy an additional piece online but I am only getting an option to buy additional weight.
Can you please let me know if anyone had this before?
Hi sergeyontheroad, welcome to FlyerTalk and the Emirates forum!

The answer depends on where you bought the ticket. In some markets they use 'piece concept' and in other 'weight concept".
If your ticket gives you (for instance) 2 bags of wax 23Kgs each, you can only buy extra bags. And similar for weight, you get XX Kgs free (plus extra for status) and you can buy additional Kgs. At least that's how I have always understood it.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Didn't want to start another thread...But a friend of mine has a 8 hour transit in DXB in a few days ( LHR -DXB -DEL)

He is planning to check in luggage all.the way to DEL at LHR and leave the airport ( British passport holder so no pre arranged visa needed) and do some shopping at the Dubai Mall

Will EK allow additional.luggage to be checked in while in transit at DXB ( if its still within the overall allowance )
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this thijsseh ! The ticket only calls out "30kg", so I am guessing it's the 'weight concept'. So, for a second checked in item, I just need to purchase additional weight, right?

ukdoctor I would check the visa requirements though. Back in 2020 I travelled to India and needed a visa (with a British passport) although that seems like a lifetime ago now... re: your question, yes, I am sure this is fairly standard. Transit passengers is the main avenue of Emirates' business, so I am positive this will work. The question is the fee. It looks like buying additional weight or pieces will be cheaper ahead of the check in.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:38 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by sergeyontheroad
The ticket only calls out "30kg", so I am guessing it's the 'weight concept'. So, for a second checked in item, I just need to purchase additional weight, right?
For clarity - you can check in as many bags as you want, as long as the total combined weight doesn't exceed 30kg.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...ecked-baggage/
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
One of the worst airlines for Baggage issues.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:54 am
Original Poster

That's good to know!!
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:20 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE
One of the worst airlines for Baggage issues.
What makes you say that? What 'issues' do you refer to?
I have never ever had any baggage issues with Emirates.
If you want baggage issues, try BA.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
I have been Flying Emirates for more than 20 years, But Baggage issues have really gotten Bad. 4 years ago, SFO to DBX First Class Flight was missed due to Suitcase was 3.5 lbs extra and Staff at SFO would not Budge.
If you had a J Reward Ticket (DBX to SFO) courtesy of Alaska Miles and a Gold Status, you still do not get the extra Luggage (Business get extra Baggage), Because it was not a Purchased Ticket? we checked two days before Flight and it was noted on the Record that Business Flights do get Extra Baggage allowance. But upon check in, we were told $800.00 Dollars extra or Leave suitcase Behind. we ended up Giving suitcase & clothes,etc to Uber Driver.
We were not the Only one that Day. more than 10 people were noted emptying there suitcases in DBX Business Terminal.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:40 pm

I have been Flying Emirates for more than 20 years, But Baggage issues have really gotten Bad. 4 years ago, SFO to DBX First Class Flight was missed due to Suitcase was 3.5 lbs extra and Staff at SFO would not Budge.
20 years flying and Skywards Gold yet you don't even know the airport code and think the rules don't apply to you. I don't think you can blame EK for this gripe.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 12:12 am

Gold entitles you to extra allowance. period. there should be no difference in Baggage allowance when Ticket is purchased or courtesy of Miles/Points. specially when they confirmed that a Day Before and it was noted on the Record.(I made sure they note that) It seems like that Day was a make extra Baggage money day. as it was quoted earlier, more than 10 Passengers were sitting on the Floor adjusting Luggage. Here is the sad Part, The Supervisor admitted that the person that commented on the Locator was wrong and apologized for their mistake, But they still won't Budge.
So here you have it fu t!
Old Nov 28, 2022, 12:51 am
Ambassador, Emirates

If you had a J Reward Ticket (DBX to SFO) courtesy of Alaska Miles and a Gold Status, you still do not get the extra Luggage (Business get extra Baggage), Because it was not a Purchased Ticket? we checked two days before Flight and it was noted on the Record that Business Flights do get Extra Baggage allowance. But upon check in, we were told $800.00 Dollars extra or Leave suitcase Behind. we ended up Giving suitcase & clothes,etc to Uber Driver.
We were not the Only one that Day. more than 10 people were noted emptying their DXB/SFOsuitcases in DBX Business Terminal.
For DXB/SFO, piece concept applies.
If you bag was ‘3.5 lbs extra’, it means it was above the 32 Kgs limit (for J and F) and it is not allowed, no matter what status you hold (it’s a Heath and Safety rule).
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:03 am

Gold entitles you to extra allowance. period. there should be no difference in Baggage allowance when Ticket is purchased or courtesy of Miles/Points. specially when they confirmed that a Day Before and it was noted on the Record.(I made sure they note that) It seems like that Day was a make extra Baggage money day. as it was quoted earlier, more than 10 Passengers were sitting on the Floor adjusting Luggage. Here is the sad Part, The Supervisor admitted that the person that commented on the Locator was wrong and apologized for their mistake, But they still won't Budge.
So here you have it fu t!
You're obviously not the brightest light in the room if you can't understand your bag was overweight and Gold privileges don't change that. I never commented on whether the ticket was a revenue or mileage ticket.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:33 am

Since, you think you are so smart, why don't you Google Emirates Gold Benefits: Gold Extra Allowance= 1 Additional Piece of checked Baggage of 23 K.G./50 lbs.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:43 am

@ft: By the way, Two of my Favorite airlines are Qatar & Emirates with Turkish being 3rd. Nothing like Emirates Lounges in DXB. Nothing like A380's of Emirates. My only issue with Emirates was the Luggage issue after 40 or more Flights with them.I I love Hyatt, But once i stayed at Hyatt that had spiders, does not mean I cannot point that out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.