Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Insane Experience at LAX with Emirates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insane Experience at LAX with Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Maybe reach out via social media? Facebook or Twitter? They are usually pretty good at responding.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by extramileage
that's really not eye-brow raising...

Not at all. If it was 910,000 and the account was newly created, possibly. But not 91k. OP's getting screwed around. Hopefully it can get fixed.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
Not at all. If it was 910,000 and the account was newly created, possibly. But not 91k. OP's getting screwed around. Hopefully it can get fixed.
Agreed I realize to many folks 91k miles seems like a lot but it really isn't. I burn through about mid-six figures of points per year (mostly a solo traveler too). 91k points is just a one-way J long-haul fare on many airlines. I understand the airlines need to protect themselves but this was very poorly handled. This event will give me pause for thought before I transfer points to Emirates in the future. I do have a well aged account with them but I have never transferred or redeemed points on them.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:45 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Dang, that's nuts. I transferred in ~900K from Amex for four business class round-trip tickets for my family, on basically a new EK account. I really hope this story is a one-off and we are not in for a very unpleasant surprise at the airport.
esc2476 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Currently on my way to MAD on EY. I appreciate all the support and advice I’ve received on this forum. Not only have I been blacklisted, but I’ve also lost all my bonvoy points. When I return i plan to show up at EKHQ and try to find someone to talk to. If anyone on this forum has any connections, they’d certainly be of help…
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
Currently on my way to MAD on EY. I appreciate all the support and advice I’ve received on this forum. Not only have I been blacklisted, but I’ve also lost all my bonvoy points. When I return i plan to show up at EKHQ and try to find someone to talk to. If anyone on this forum has any connections, they’d certainly be of help…
Do you mean Skywards points, or have you also lost your points from your Marriott account? If the latter, then EK must have somehow informed Marriott.

I still think this is a case of mistaken identify or mis-typing an account number... somebody has been caught out committing fraud, and somebody has picked your account by mistake.
thijsseh and IntrepidAfrican2 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Do you mean Skywards points, or have you also lost your points from your Marriott account? If the latter, then EK must have somehow informed Marriott.

I still think this is a case of mistaken identify or mis-typing an account number... somebody has been caught out committing fraud, and somebody has picked your account by mistake.
I’m sure he is talking about the Marriott points that were used to transfer to Emirates.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:04 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
…….

I tend to agree with you here. There have been examples of EK taking action against Skywards member who are suspected of fraudulent behaviour but - assuming we have been given all relevant information - something feels wrong here. The ‘sanction’ suggests something really serious and we have not been given any information to warrant that.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’m sure he is talking about the Marriott points that were used to transfer to Emirates.
Ah, yes! Obvious really
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Skywards Points, I transferred out all of my Bonvoy points to EK.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Update 30-Jul-2022: I have filed a complaint with the US Department of Transportation against Emirates.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Very strange experience. I was looking to transfer some Bonvoy points to my Skyward account but am now hesitant to do so. Have never transferred to EK before.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:19 am

I’m wondering here how this turned out… I’ve been wanting to transfer points from HSBC or Amex MR for some time now, but each time I go to do it, I check here and wonder if I should. It’s quite unsettling, really… I’ve had several paid trips with EK (although that was back when they partnered with AS, so I credited there, not to Skywards) and several redemptions.

Every story like this makes me uneasy about trusting EK for a points transfer. I’m not sure if they understand that even a whiff of mishandling on their part calls their partnership with other loyalty programs into question for lots of people. I’d like to see this all cleared up so I can go ahead with some confidence.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:37 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I’m wondering here how this turned out… I’ve been wanting to transfer points from HSBC or Amex MR for some time now, but each time I go to do it, I check here and wonder if I should. It’s quite unsettling, really… I’ve had several paid trips with EK (although that was back when they partnered with AS, so I credited there, not to Skywards) and several redemptions.

Every story like this makes me uneasy about trusting EK for a points transfer. I’m not sure if they understand that even a whiff of mishandling on their part calls their partnership with other loyalty programs into question for lots of people. I’d like to see this all cleared up so I can go ahead with some confidence.
I would not worry. I felt the same for a while but think there's more to this story.

While EK's account audit team are quite severe, they say themselves that while they investigate you can still fly on flights booked other points or redemption. They temporarily disable your opportunity to redeem.

Every airline audit team takes a very long time for no known reason. Whether it's AA, EK or SQ it seems months is the usual turn around time.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois

I am trying to get my money back and take legal action against Emirates for compensation. I lost my Marriott points + the points I bought from Emirates + the extra luggage + the cost of the Business Class ticket.
Emirates did not respond to my USDOT claim within the 30 and 60 day window that they must reply in and I have no idea how to get ahold of someone from the DOT to see what compensation I am entitled to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.