Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miffed!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:09 pm

There are many EK flights that are scheduled and they hope will fly but end up being cancelled due to Covid, its not a EK thing, its world wide all airlines have the same issue.

So just that I have it right, your wife is departing from the EU to DXB then on to you in the Phillapines. A flight has cancelled and thus she now has a longer wait time due to the replacement flight.

Firstly she is covered under EU261 in that the original flight has been cancelled so can request a fee free refund. Also she probably has cover under the Covid cover for a fee free refund.

Secondly she is coming from Germany, which is Amber for DXB, so she can enter DXB if she wants, its just the connecting flight and ensuring her covid test does not expire if required. If she was coming from the Philapines then yes, she cannot enter DXB but thats not the case as far as I understand

P.s fair differance means little since, they change everday. You could see the cost of the same ticket now and if its less, rebook!
Armchair Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Armchair Flyer
if we could, I would, and put the refund towards alternative (albeit much more expensive now) options.

However the ticket is not refundable. Only changeable for a fee and you can be sure Emirates won’t change it at their cost (but will be worth a try). So we are stuck with it.
All EK tickets are refundable or changeable without any fees at the moment, at least from Germany. Ignore what it says in the fare terms, they haven’t been updated but you can easily read the current policy on the website or call them to confirm. I would suggest looking at flying from Frankfurt anyway, it‘s just 1:20 from Düsseldorf on the ICE, which is already included in her J ticket. I live in Düsseldorf but usually fly out of Frankfurt anyway because they have more departures and it’s usually cheaper. You can easily check your options and see that there is no exchange fees under „Manage booking“ anyway.
nancypants and Armchair Flyer like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
yeah COVID policy means fully refundable, but also is your arrival now more than 4 hours later than what you booked? Is the flight in less than 14 days? EC261 still applies even during COVID I believe, even without the covid waiver you'd be entitled to a full refund due to the involuntary change, alternatively you might be entitled to compensation under EC261 but I don't recall the terms exactly
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Thank you for all the valued replies and advices.

After a follow up with Emirates, Mrs AF has been offered a complimentary hotel. Unless she is staying in the airport itself, I do not know quite how that will work as people entering Philippines are only allowed to transit the UAE and not enter. But I have to have faith that Emirates know this as well.....

Does anyone have experience of this?

Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:45 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Thank you for all the valued replies and advices.

After a follow up with Emirates, Mrs AF has been offered a complimentary hotel. Unless she is staying in the airport itself, I do not know quite how that will work as people entering Philippines are only allowed to transit the UAE and not enter. But I have to have faith that Emirates know this as well.....

Does anyone have experience of this?

Yes, pre-Covid this was all very simple. At checkin you get a set of vouchers, covering chauffeur drive to the hotel (Merridian for J and F passengers), the hotel itself and meals. There is a thread somewhere here with all the information.
How it works now, with all the testing and travel restrictions I have no idea. The hotel inside the terminal would certainly be the better solution, but I don’t know if it is even open. Pre-Covid it was not used for this programme.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, pre-Covid this was all very simple. At checkin you get a set of vouchers, covering chauffeur drive to the hotel (Merridian for J and F passengers), the hotel itself and meals. There is a thread somewhere here with all the information.
How it works now, with all the testing and travel restrictions I have no idea. The hotel inside the terminal would certainly be the better solution, but I don’t know if it is even open. Pre-Covid it was not used for this programme.
I think I do recall it being offered rarely where no alternative was possible
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:26 pm

I believe the airport hotel in concourse B is open. I am not sure as to whether Philippines entry rules allow to leave Dubai airport and enter UAE. If not, then the airport hotel is certainly a safe option and even if the OP has to pay rates are somehow reasonable (within the scope of a J class ticket).
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Originally Posted by flying_pig
I believe the airport hotel in concourse B is open. I am not sure as to whether Philippines entry rules allow to leave Dubai airport and enter UAE. If not, then the airport hotel is certainly a safe option and even if the OP has to pay rates are somehow reasonable (within the scope of a J class ticket).
Thank you. Passengers travelling and wishing to enter the Philippines aren’t permitted under Philippines immigration restrictions to enter the UAE.

i also found the thread on Emirates Connect as suggested in one reply. Again, very helpful.

So having read that, I am hoping that Emirates also know about this entry restriction and don’t introduce a curve ball by reserving her a room at Le Meridien. But we are in a Global pandemic and with the myriad of changes being imposed by Govts on almost an hourly basis (especially the Philippine Govt) it wouldn’t surprise me. So Plan B may well have to be the hotel in terminal and we may well have to pay for that ourselves if push comes to shove, then take it up later.

incidentally, I was initially intending to request a refund whilst booking with another carrier. And thank you to everyone for advices on that. But tickets to Philippines from Germany in J have now reached unaffordable (in our view) levels - as in 5-6k€ return unaffordable . So we are pretty much stuck with what we have.

Again, thank u to everyone for all the replies.

P.S. And if I were running an airline that flies into the Philippines I’d have abandoned the route long ago. The immigration protocols including who is and who is no longer allowed entry change hourly, flights are diverted at the Govt’s instruction also hourly and it must be costing the airlines a fortune in unforeseen and unforeseeable cost. So I’d suggest that a 6k€ return ticket in J is probably a bargain.............
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:19 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

incidentally, I was initially intending to request a refund whilst booking with another carrier. And thank you to everyone for advices on that. But tickets to Philippines from Germany in J have now reached unaffordable (in our view) levels - as in 5-6k€ return unaffordable . So we are pretty much stuck with what we have.
Does your wife have status with anyone? I would really weigh up the comfort of flying J vs flying a more efficient route in economy, especially when her second flight will be on a 777 (not sure about the first flight). 777 business class is really not that comfortable on EK and certainly not worth waiting that kind of connection time. Flight loads are pretty low at the moment and your wife could get a flight and have a row to herself.

On my flight a few days ago there were less than 100 people on an a380, there was about 7 of us in J. On my connecting flight on a 777 there was less than 50 people and about 5 in J. This meant everyone in economy had more than enough room to spread out and on the 777 were probably just as comfortable as me in the crappy J seat.

The perks of flying J EK with a long connection time is Dubai connect and getting to stay in Le Meridien as opposed to the rubbish hotel Y passengers get, however, you have stated in your wifes circumstances she would not be able to use it. It really does not make sense to fly EK J in this situation.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Will08
Does your wife have status with anyone? I would really weigh up the comfort of flying J vs flying a more efficient route in economy, especially when her second flight will be on a 777 (not sure about the first flight). 777 business class is really not that comfortable on EK and certainly not worth waiting that kind of connection time. Flight loads are pretty low at the moment and your wife could get a flight and have a row to herself.

On my flight a few days ago there were less than 100 people on an a380, there was about 7 of us in J. On my connecting flight on a 777 there was less than 50 people and about 5 in J. This meant everyone in economy had more than enough room to spread out and on the 777 were probably just as comfortable as me in the crappy J seat.

The perks of flying J EK with a long connection time is Dubai connect and getting to stay in Le Meridien as opposed to the rubbish hotel Y passengers get, however, you have stated in your wifes circumstances she would not be able to use it. It really does not make sense to fly EK J in this situation.
Thank u so much.

Mrs AF is a current Singapore Airlines Star Alliance Gold. Since I fly at best infrequently these days, we looked at this closely. We concentrated our business with a carrier based on our needs, the departure and arrival airport, flight times, safety and service. Plus benefits that when we travel together, I can use. Which is why we selected Singapore Airlines and Star Alliance.

However, the Singers/Star Alliance cost being €5k+ right now, we simply cannot justify the additional cost vs the benefit. And although I was for some time an Emirates Gold, I am no longer familiar with the latest developments at Emirates after some years as a “Armchair Flyer” .

For sure if we go for Singapore Airlines she may well get an upgrade. And for sure, these miles will count for her requalification. And a shorter journey time.all positives. But for 2-2.5k€ more?

As a private traveller these days it’s our own money so just like the in Corporate world I used to live in we want to get the best bang for the buck as they say. But Singers are 1.5€k Y and 5-6k€ J. Eye watering stuff. For the same start and end point, Emirates J is more but not that much more than Singers’ Y cost right now.

Personally, I said to Mrs AF to book with Singers then cancel with Emirates this time and be done with it. But she is also Mrs Spendthrift. Need I say more?

Thank u again Will.
thijsseh likes this.

Last edited by Armchair Flyer; Jun 12, 2021 at 5:11 am
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure I understand but how would she upgrade on SQ?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Thank u so much.

Mrs AF is a current Singapore Airlines Star Alliance Gold. Since I fly at best infrequently these days, we looked at this closely. We concentrated our business with a carrier based on our needs, the departure and arrival airport, flight times, safety and service. Plus benefits that when we travel together, I can use. Which is why we selected Singapore Airlines and Star Alliance.

However, the Singers/Star Alliance cost being €5k+ right now, we simply cannot justify the additional cost vs the benefit. And although I was for some time an Emirates Gold, I am no longer familiar with the latest developments at Emirates after some years as a “Armchair Flyer” .

For sure if we go for Singapore Airlines she may well get a row in Y to herself or even an upgrade to J. And for sure, these miles will count for her requalification. And a shorter journey time.all positives. But for 2-2.5k€ more?

As a private traveller these days it’s our own money so just like the in Corporate world I used to live in we want to get the best bank for the buck as they say. But Singers are 1.5€k Y and 5-6k€ J. Eye watering stuff. For the same start and end point, Emirates J is more but not that much more than Singers’ Y cost right now.

Personally, I said to Mrs AF to book with Singers then cancel with Emirates this time and be done with it. But she is also Mrs Spendthrift. Need I say more?

Thank u again Will.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 1:25 am

For sure if we go for Singapore Airlines she may well get a row in Y to herself or even an upgrade to J. And for sure, these miles will count for her requalification. And a shorter journey time.all positives. But for 2-2.5k€ more?
If I have read that correctly that is a crazy price to fly Y. I would explore other options for positioning flights then. See if there are any countries within europe she could fly to that offers either a cheaper direct flight or a better connection time with another airline. Or alternatively, find a better connection time from EK within europe and then get EK to change her departure to that airport?

What is the date she intends to travel?

Last edited by Will08; Jun 13, 2021 at 1:27 am Reason: added a question
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If I have read that correctly that is a crazy price to fly Y. I would explore other options for positioning flights then. See if there are any countries within europe she could fly to that offers either a cheaper direct flight or a better connection time with another airline. Or alternatively, find a better connection time from EK within europe and then get EK to change her departure to that airport?

What is the date she intends to travel?
I'm pretty sure the OP is fine with their J class flight on EK. From what they've posted, it sounds like it's about £1800??
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm pretty sure the OP is fine with their J class flight on EK. From what they've posted, it sounds like it's about £1800??
I didn't ask for the price? If I was flying back to back 777s EK J seats with an epic layover, I would exhaust every other option possible first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.