Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled, rerouting refused

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Contacting on behalf of a friend, who has been in DXB prior to the lockdown where his dad lives. He needs to return to the UK. He was booked on tomorrow flight in J to MAN. The flight has been cancelled and he has been booked in Y to BHX. They have offered LHR but not the connection up to MAN. They are saying they won’t pay for the train from BHX or LHR. Help!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Contacting on behalf of a friend, who has been in DXB prior to the lockdown where his dad lives. He needs to return to the UK. He was booked on tomorrow flight in J to MAN. The flight has been cancelled and he has been booked in Y to BHX. They have offered LHR but not the connection up to MAN. They are saying they won’t pay for the train from BHX or LHR. Help!
it’s not eks fault so not sure they are liable for onward expenses...I’m guessing your friend has no travel insurance given he’s not suppose to be in Dubai in the first place...
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If he wants to get to UK, take what they offer. Then just buy a train ticket.
Is possible EK will not fly. Link-->UAE added to UK list of high risk countries
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by m3red
it’s not eks fault so not sure they are liable for onward expenses...I’m guessing your friend has no travel insurance given he’s not suppose to be in Dubai in the first place...
sorry but I disagree. The cancellation is before the flight ban and obviously flights are going to other UK destinations. They have made a commercial decision to cancel the flight due to the light load.

As for your comment that he shouldn’t be in Dubai in the first place, this is just not true. He travelled to Dubai to see his Dad and his 1 year old step brother for the first time when international travel was permitted. The fact that things have progressed in the UK since is not his fault. He has not at any time breached any rules.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If he wants to get to UK, take what they offer. Then just buy a train ticket.
Is possible EK will not fly. Link-->UAE added to UK list of high risk countries
Thanks. I’ve got him a BA flight up from LHR, the EK flight is delayed but with the delay it’s showing as a 2hr 23 connection, hopefully the boarder isn’t as horrendous as I fear.

Obviously the conditions of carriage state their resolution is travel on later date (not possible), travel to your destination by an agreed alternative route or a full refund. I’m not used to an airline that wouldn’t have just booked him on to the domestic connection in the event of IRROPS, but I get the impression that EK’s customer service here will be lacking if we complain afterwards and asks for the cost back?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Your best bet here is to contact CS after the flight and ask them to refund the price of the LHR-MAN flight. As it's not an EU/UK airline, there's no other way to force it, so the worst you can lose is a few minutes time.

I seriously doubt the EK17 flight was cancelled due to low loads. Everybody has been scrambling around trying to get flights back. As per the BA forum - all their flights sold out very quickly after the news.
navylad and IntrepidAfrican like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Your best bet here is to contact CS after the flight and ask them to refund the price of the LHR-MAN flight. As it's not an EU/UK airline, there's no other way to force it, so the worst you can lose is a few minutes time.

I seriously doubt the EK17 flight was cancelled due to low loads. Everybody has been scrambling around trying to get flights back. As per the BA forum - all their flights sold out very quickly after the news.
Thanks. Will do.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:24 am

at least they give you a ticket back to UK, if you saw the update from EK seems like this suspend are with short notice. only 2 LHR and 1 BHX will be operate today and stop. for me it smell like travel ban to France on last summer this time. good luck for your friend back to UK on tomorrow flight, suppose to be full.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:56 am

sorry but I disagree. The cancellation is before the flight ban and obviously flights are going to other UK destinations. They have made a commercial decision to cancel the flight due to the light load.

As for your comment that he shouldn’t be in Dubai in the first place, this is just not true. He travelled to Dubai to see his Dad and his 1 year old step brother for the first time when international travel was permitted. The fact that things have progressed in the UK since is not his fault. He has not at any time breached any rules.

Thanks. I’ve got him a BA flight up from LHR, the EK flight is delayed but with the delay it’s showing as a 2hr 23 connection, hopefully the boarder isn’t as horrendous as I fear.

Obviously the conditions of carriage state their resolution is travel on later date (not possible), travel to your destination by an agreed alternative route or a full refund. I’m not used to an airline that wouldn’t have just booked him on to the domestic connection in the event of IRROPS, but I get the impression that EK’s customer service here will be lacking if we complain afterwards and asks for the cost back?
Cancelled for commercial reasons? How do you know the load? Consider that the aircraft needs to also return to DXB and while it might arrive before the ban it might not be able to depart back to DXB in time.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Cancelled for commercial reasons? How do you know the load? Consider that the aircraft needs to also return to DXB and while it might arrive before the ban it might not be able to depart back to DXB in time.
I think just to clarify this part, the ban only relates to inbound direct passenger flights. After 1300 airlines can still operate passenger flights departing the UK to the UAE, there would be no legal reason the plane had to depart by 1300.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think just to clarify this part, the ban only relates to inbound direct passenger flights. After 1300 airlines can still operate passenger flights departing the UK to the UAE, there would be no legal reason the plane had to depart by 1300.
I wasn't aware of that being the wording. Most accurate source I could find: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...-arab-emirates
Specifies flights "from UAE to England, Scotland..." Which does sound like inbound but could potentially imply both ways. Regardless there's still no evidence that the cancellation was due to light load. If anything I'd imagine those flights would've been packed with people trying to get home.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that EK has cancelled its flight. The underlying reason is not important. It is also not an EU (UK) carrier and thius, EC 261/2004 does not apply for flights originating outside the EU (UK). In the circumstances, I would take any reasonable itinerary back to the UK and sort the local costs afterwards with travel insurance or EK's customer service (which will likely be unavailing). My strongest advice is simply to get back to the UK soonest as the travel situation is tightening rather than loosening and that includes not only legal but practical commercial ones too.

Alternatively, the passenger is of course entitled to a full refund. If there is some routing into MAN at or about the cost of his EK ticket, he could take the refund and purchase a new ticket (recognizing that this means laying out the funds while the refund processes).
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I wasn't aware of that being the wording. Most accurate source I could find: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...-arab-emirates
Specifies flights "from UAE to England, Scotland..." Which does sound like inbound but could potentially imply both ways. Regardless there's still no evidence that the cancellation was due to light load. If anything I'd imagine those flights would've been packed with people trying to get home.
Further digging found this NOTAM:
B) 2101291300 C)2104151300 (B0300/21)
E)COVID-19: FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
COMMERCIAL AND PRIVATE PASSENGER FLIGHTS WHERE THE LAST POINT OF
DEPARTURE WAS UNITED ARAB EMIRATES IN ITS ENTIRETY WILL BE
PROHIBITED FROM LANDING IN ENGLAND OR SCOTLAND. THIS REGULATION DOES
NOT APPLY TO AIR AMBULANCE ACFT WHERE THE LANDING IS FOR THE PURPOSE
OF TRANSPORTING A PERSON FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT. ALL FLIGHTS LANDING
TO SECURE THE SAFETY OF THE AIRCRAFT OR FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY OF ANY
PERSON ABOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE PERMITTED. 2020-12-0326/AS2
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The law is very clear on this tbh. Direct commercial passenger flights inbound from the UAE were fine until 1300, but prohibited from 1300 onwards. From 1300 the airline can still operate in to the UK but it would have to be cargo only.

The prohibition applies to flights landing in the UK and not departing. So airlines are free to fly direct passenger flights still from UK->UAE at any time.

The EK flight could have operated to MAN on schedule landing before 1300 with passengers, and departed at any point later with passengers. Going forward EK can still operate flights in to the UK without passengers but with cargo, and take passengers back to DXB.

Apologies for the detail. Tbh I just wanted to pick up on your point that they may have had to depart by 1300.

There is more information on the thread in the coronavirus board for UK arrivals requirements.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:53 am

can’t ek cover the cost of the chauffeur drive extra distance?

if this is a cheap upgrade to miles ticket then you won’t get the car and EK won’t be interested I’m afraid
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:06 pm

Since its past the event, it would be good if you gave us an update. Would be good to know was the ticket a paid upgrade, points or cash booking. If cash I would have thought asking for the chauffeur drive extension its only an extra 30 miles give or take. EK is not regulated by EU261 on the inbound and can choose to ignore and offer a partial refund for the fare differance but you might find its not much. Personally I would be happy I was back home and not stuck in DXB
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.