Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

UAE added to UK list of high risk countries

Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

Just announced that the UK will add the UAE to its list of high risk countries from 1pm on Friday 29 January. Direct flights between the two countries will be banned.

Not a great surprise given the recent high rise in infections in the UAE.

Last edited by Longton; Jan 28, 2021 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Longton
Just announced that the UK will add the UAE to its list of high risk countries from 1pm on Friday 29 January. Direct flights between the two countries will be banned.
Do you have a link to that. I don't think it's the case.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jan 28, 2021 at 11:45 am Reason: Found the link...
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Longton

Not a great surprise given the recent high rise in infections in the UAE.
Ironically UK visitors to Dubai over Xmas and New Year have been one source of the rising infections.

I am just surprised that the UK did not shut their borders completely, like Australia or New Zealand months ago! If they are so worried about the South African variant should they not ban all airlines from the UK transiting passengers from South Africa.

Here the news link

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...of-new-variant
BadoRas likes this.

Last edited by Wanderlust_65; Jan 28, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:24 pm

I thought flights from South Africa to the UAE have been banned since mid January’ and Emirates flights to South Africa will remain suspended until Feb.4, 2021.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:25 pm

Will be intresting to see what happens next, so EK/BA cant fly in however I guess Qatar can continue to fly into the UK unless they are not part of the UAE? I wonder if the routes into the UK are suspended or reduced since outbound flights are allowed and cargo can continue
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Are there no flights allowed from Dubai to London then?

Daughter and family (UK Nationals) are due to fly from AKL to London via a 90 min transit in Dubai in March and there's no way she could stay in a hotel for 10 days with 3 little ones logistically (diet wise) or financially, this is a permanent move back to the UK. She just called and is frantic and doesn't know what to do.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by Lussac
Are there no flights allowed from Dubai to London then?

Daughter and family (UK Nationals) are due to fly from AKL to London via a 90 min transit in Dubai in March and there's no way she could stay in a hotel for 10 days with 3 little ones logistically (diet wise) or financially, this is a permanent move back to the UK. She just called and is frantic and doesn't know what to do.
Apparently it will mean home isolation, not in a hotel. But the flights will most probably be cancelled, so if possible they need to find an alternative route into the UK.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by suley
Will be intresting to see what happens next, so EK/BA cant fly in however I guess Qatar can continue to fly into the UK unless they are not part of the UAE? I wonder if the routes into the UK are suspended or reduced since outbound flights are allowed and cargo can continue
Qatar has lower Covid cases , though numbers are slowly rising and QR transits passengers from South Africa and other African countries thru its hub, also to the UK. Wonder how this will work now with all the banned flights from Africa.

I am sure QR would be eager to “step in”..
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Will EK offer to re-route to another destination in Europe they still fly to or is it cancel or re-schedule to later in the year.

In addition, apart from PCR test before departure, are there any restrictions in transiting through DOH or if not can I safely book DXB-DOH-LHR with no issues (ie transit and stay airside in DOH)
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Will EK offer to re-route to another destination in Europe they still fly to or is it cancel or re-schedule to later in the year.

In addition, apart from PCR test before departure, are there any restrictions in transiting through DOH or if not can I safely book DXB-DOH-LHR with no issues (ie transit and stay airside in DOH)
EK wont reroute through Europe, it wont want to take the hassle of denied entry in Europe. It will allow you to rebook to Europe but you will need to make the onward journey at your own cost. You can always cancel your return and re-schedule for a later date. Yes you can go via DOH just be aware you may be forced into the hotel qurantine when it launches as you have come from UAE. Personally for the suggested £1000 cost, I would isolate in Doha and then fly back and have normal isolation at home.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
EK wont reroute through Europe, it wont want to take the hassle of denied entry in Europe. It will allow you to rebook to Europe but you will need to make the onward journey at your own cost. You can always cancel your return and re-schedule for a later date. Yes you can go via DOH just be aware you may be forced into the hotel qurantine when it launches as you have come from UAE. Personally for the suggested £1000 cost, I would isolate in Doha and then fly back and have normal isolation at home.
You cannot stay in Doha.

Entry into Qatar is restricted to Qatari nationals and those holding resident permits.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
So where would you pick for EK to fly you to in Europe such that I can arrange onward travel to London (that is currently allowed)
Old Jan 28, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
So where would you pick for EK to fly you to in Europe such that I can arrange onward travel to London (that is currently allowed)
I saw your post on BA forum, question is do you work in DXB or visiting or have family, if I had family or work, I would wait a few months, I see them downgrading in the summer. You have to take into account, the UK gov needs to be seen to do something and dubai didnt do itself any favours over the last few weeks.

If you need to fly back, you have to remember were not in EU anymore and the EU is only allowing access if you have a onward booking. Every country at moment is changing rules daily,

Germany seems to have a clear rule which allows passage https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
You can take EK45 land around mid day and connect on one of the LH flights departing at 2pm, 4pm or 9pm or BA flight into LCY.

But Switzeland may be better due to the rules https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...ml#-1876973079
You can take EK85 land around mid day and then BA717 around 4:30 or EK88 lands around midnight and Swissair around 9am LX318 into LHR

Last edited by suley; Jan 28, 2021 at 2:44 pm
Old Jan 28, 2021, 3:08 pm

Direct flights to Germany are possibly being suspended I saw on the news so that might not be an option if flights don't run in the other direction either

From Asia, Aus or NZ currently I think the best bet is probably Singapore Airlines (frequent schedule and not picking up any transit traffic from the major hot spots) but who knows by March...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.