Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DYKWIA
To request a refund / voucher or keep your ticket open for 24 months, use the following link :-

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...efund-request/
Print Wikipost

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by jvde
so is emirates doing refunds yet for flights they've cancelled without charing a fee?
for bookings made between 7 and 31st of march they are
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:41 am

Hello all, how is it with award tickets? My business class MXP/JFK was cancelled. I did send them a request to refund my miles and money but zero reply. Any hint is highly appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Just to confirm a data point.

Had booked a LGW-DXB-DEL return via a UK travel agent and had flown half of the itinerary .

Couldnt do the journey back due to cancellations. I was not able to get hold of the the travel agent in spite of multiple attempts and raised a dispute via AMEX for 50% of the initial fare paid for the return ticket .

AMEX has put the disputed funds back into my account.i suspect that the travel agent or EK might still try to dispute on the basis that a return is not 50% of a full ticket .
Was Y saver on both directions in case anyone is wondering.

Might have been more complex if its was mixed classes or fares .

Will update if emirates or the TA contests this decision.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:34 am

Also have two other tickets that are under dispute

One was the return bit of a DEL -LGW -DEL brought in INR via bank transfer and I think I might have to be happy with a voucher ( might try the EU claim as the journey cancelled was when I was departing the UK)

The other ticket is another one bought via a travel agent ( opodo) who have cleverly billed it via EK.
I suspect they must have had something in the T&C

I used my card on the opodo website but the charges have been billed to EK .

So bit of a tussle with this AMEX dispute.

EK will not deal with it as it's a TA booking but then again the charges clearly say EK.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Apr 11, 2020 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to the first one, if EK cancelled a flight departing the UK, EC 261/2004 applies and you are due a refund if you wish. The fare breakdown should be in the e-ticket receipt.

As to the second ticket, the routing is unclear so hard to advise. If the Regulation applies, then simply request the refund from both Opodo and EK, wait 7 days and file a chargeback on the 8th day. The merchant vendor is whoever is listed, in this case EK, but it really is not relevant. If the Regulation does not apply, you will need to identify some basis to Amex (which has reportedly been quite excellent and speedy when the customer provides all of the required details at the time the claim is made).
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Often1
As to the first one, if EK cancelled a flight departing the UK, EC 261/2004 applies and you are due a refund if you wish. The fare breakdown should be in the e-ticket receipt.

As to the second ticket, the routing is unclear so hard to advise. If the Regulation applies, then simply request the refund from both Opodo and EK, wait 7 days and file a chargeback on the 8th day. The merchant vendor is whoever is listed, in this case EK, but it really is not relevant. If the Regulation does not apply, you will need to identify some basis to Amex (which has reportedly been quite excellent and speedy when the customer provides all of the required details at the time the claim is made).

It was another DEL-MAN-DEL return connecting at MAN to flybe to another destination (all ticketed on EK)

Departure point was DEL but Flybe had collapsed and neither EK nor Opodo were able to confirm whether I would be allowed to board as there was no available connection to my onward destination .

So I cancelled the ticket voluntarily (before travel restrictions kicked in )and was supposed to get around 80% of my funds back and travelled on another airline.

Luckily I do have email confirmation from opodo regarding the voluntary cancellation which I am using to hopefully get my money back..
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:10 pm
Suspended

If you voluntarily cancelled and made an arrangement with Opodo for an 80% refund, you should nonetheless initiate a chargeback and clearly document that it is 80% of the amount you are due. In the US, partial disputes are allowable, but there is always a work around.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Phoned Emirates again. No update and when I said that the refund is already late and that I need it to cover my credit card bill for something I shouldn't have to pay, the lady said I should ask for friends for money to cover my credit card bill!
Just dispute it with your card provider and get them to organise a chargeback.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If you voluntarily cancelled and made an arrangement with Opodo for an 80% refund, you should nonetheless initiate a chargeback and clearly document that it is 80% of the amount you are due. In the US, partial disputes are allowable, but there is always a work around.
Same in the UK as far as I am aware. But there are three parties involved here Opodo/EK /Flybe which is making things very complex..

At least that's what I understood from AMEX.

My claim is still open
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Same in the UK as far as I am aware. But there are three parties involved here Opodo/EK /Flybe which is making things very complex..

At least that's what I understood from AMEX.

My claim is still open
Don't let Amex overcomplicate this. It is Opodo which agreed to an 80% refund. Whether EK is on the hook is between Opodo & EK.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:30 pm

Flight cancellation/reschedule

Hi

ive just received an email from emirates to say they have rescheduled my flight for August

myself, my wife and 2 young children were traveling from Gatwick to Dubai on the 12th august 2020 at 10am. They have now changed it to the 11th august 2020 at 21.45. Not ideal to be traveling on an overnight flight with 2 young children, far too late. We will now be arriving early in the morning and will be unable to check in. I also noticed that the new flights seem to be cheaper than what paid.

appreciate any advice on where I stand

thanks
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:26 pm

It looks like the 3rd Gatwick flight isn't planned to start again until September. You could change to a Heathrow departure at 09:05, delay your trip or accept new timings. There is also one departing at 14:30 and arriving at 00:35 if that is any better. Inform your hotel of a very late arrival.

Interesting that there are cheaper flights. I wonder if you could claim a voucher, buy new flights and still have some credit for future use? Details of the options around vouchers are on the website.

You could also of course claim a full refund but that may involve going through your bank as Emirates will try to avoid this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Under EC261, you can claim a full refund ( probably will need to use a credit card dispute) and then book any other flight that best meets your needs
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andrew29101978
Hi

ive just received an email from emirates to say they have rescheduled my flight for August

myself, my wife and 2 young children were traveling from Gatwick to Dubai on the 12th august 2020 at 10am. They have now changed it to the 11th august 2020 at 21.45. Not ideal to be traveling on an overnight flight with 2 young children, far too late. We will now be arriving early in the morning and will be unable to check in. I also noticed that the new flights seem to be cheaper than what paid.

thanks
Hotels in Dubai are used to people arriving at all times. I've never had an issue arriving early and getting a room within a couple of hours (normally a lot quicker). So, you may want to consider this an extra day to your holiday
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Andrew29101978
Hi

thanks
Hi Andrew29101978,

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Emirates forum.

My personal advice in your situation would be to contact EK (I'm not sure what the accessibility of the call centre is at the moment, it's usually quite good but there are not usual times) and try to move to an LGW flight at a more convenient time to you or to a LHR flight. There should be no financial penalty to that. And cancelling and rebooking a cheaper option is probably possible, but it will be a whole lot of bother, especially as EK - just like any other airline - will have a whole lot of these 'Covid-19 related' cancellations to contend with. As you were prepared to pay the fare when you booked it, I think it would be reasonable to still accept the same fare as long as the schedule has not changed unreasonably.
And if you end up on the 21:45 flight after all, don't worry about hotel check-in etc. As also mentioned by DYKWIA hotels in Dubai are 24 hour operations, you should be able to check in anytime.
Good luck!

Last edited by thijsseh; Apr 12, 2020 at 5:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.