Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cancellations - refunds/vouchers

Old Mar 22, 20, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Hi,
I called Emirates Customer Services (took 60 mins to get through) and it seems I have been given different information from different agents...
The lady on the 1st call said that if I had booked in March 2020 during their offer, I would be able to refund my ticket with no cost, all I needed to do was fill out the form. (meaning the fee was waivered for 'refunds')
I thought great, given the flight to my destination is not reachable due to Coronavirus Travel Restrictions I filled out the form and requested a refund...

However,,. I had doubts so I thought I would call again and the 2nd agent (took approx another 60 mins to get through) said that only vouchers are given at full value and that refunds will incur a cost (which is unknown to me right now) and because the refund is being processed there is no way to change this into a voucher.

I called back a 3rd time (approx 45 mins to get through) and explained I still want to make a flight but I don't know if I will get a refund or a voucher.. he said a voucher will take up to 8 working days (not 72 hours as mentioned on Emirates website!!) and that refunds will take up to 15 working days
I still need to make a flight once the travel restrictions left, so he suggested I open a formal complaint in case I get charged.

Has anyone experienced a refund voucher? How long does it actually take to receive?
Do you think Emirates will charge me a refund fee, if so does anyone have experience on how much this refund fee would be?
Considering Coronavirus has canceled my travel plans (due to certificates required and airspace closures) do you think they will refund and waive the fee if charged?

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 20, 4:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You've already requested the refund, and the agent agent has said it will take up to 15 days. As stated, you can't now change this to a voucher.

What route is this?
Is the flight cancelled?
When did you book it?
Did you book with a credit card?
Old Mar 22, 20, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You've already requested the refund, and the agent has said it will take up to 15 days. As stated, you can't now change this to a voucher.

1. What route is this?
2. Is the flight canceled?
3. When did you book it?
4. Did you book with a credit card?
I booked 3 flights in the last two weeks, answering in parts...

Flight 1 - one passenger
1. One way ticket from Sialkot Pakistan to London Stansted - due 1st April
2. Airspace closure announced yesterday on 21 March.
However, I requested the voucher-request on 19th March, it looks like its processing as it disappeared from my booking. Just don’t know if and when I will get a refund/voucher (limbo situation)
3. Booked it 2 weeks ago
4. Yes booked with credit card

Flight 2 - two passengers
1. London Stansted to Sialkot - due October 2020
2. Not canceled due to Coronavirus, but still booked within the flexibility period (where I can make changes but actually since I was told a full refund would be given with no fees, I opted for a refund)
However, I requested the voucher-request on 19th March, it looks like its processing as it disappeared from my booking. Just don’t know if and when I will get a refund/voucher (limbo situation)
3. Booked it 2 weeks ago

Flight 3 - one passenger
1 and 2 combined. London Stansted to Sialkot Pakistan - due for today. However, I managed to manually move it myself online all the way to October 2020 (and subsequently requested a refund on flight 2 rather than keep moving dates)
However, despite requesting a voucher 5 times online, the agent said he couldn’t see it, so I moved it manually a few days ago all the way to October — this one is fine for now.
3. Booked it 2 weeks ago
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You've already requested the refund, and the agent agent has said it will take up to 15 days. As stated, you can't now change this to a voucher.

What route is this?
Is the flight cancelled?
When did you book it?
Did you book with a credit card?
I'm worried that Emirates won't reply back to me in a timely manner (either confirming the refund/voucher, or even issuing it as there's conflicting timeframes online and via forum users experiences)

Should I raise the amex dispute now or wait?
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:08 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Originally Posted by redeternet7 View Post
I'm worried that Emirates won't reply back to me in a timely manner (either confirming the refund/voucher, or even issuing it as there's conflicting timeframes online and via forum users experiences)

Should I raise the amex dispute now or wait?
Dispute now, ek will stall
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 20, 7:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, Bonvoy Silver
I requested a refund on March 4, still waiting on that.
Old Mar 25, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
Dispute now, ek will stall
Had an interesting chat with a AMEX representative who wanted me to check the options given by EK first.I suppose are overloaded with people disputing but this is a first for me .
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:02 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Had an interesting chat with a AMEX representative who wanted me to check the options given by EK first.I suppose are overloaded with people disputing but this is a first for me .
Totally agree to check options first but trust me on this one.
Old Mar 25, 20, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When you dispute, make certain that you are following your jurisdiction's rules and that you keep copies of everything, including screen shots of forms filled out. If you do have a conversation, keep good notes and write them out immediately.

We are all used to making phone calls and the like, but if local law requires a written request transmitted to a specific address, make sure you do that. If there are deadlines, even if not generally enforced, stick to them.
Old Mar 25, 20, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
That is standard with any attempt to dispute a charge - the company wants to verify that you have tried to address the issue with the supplier before it will start the dispute

Once you can confirm that the merchant is refusing to refund, then you can commence the dispute
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
That is standard with any attempt to dispute a charge - the company wants to verify that you have tried to address the issue with the supplier before it will start the dispute

Once you can confirm that the merchant is refusing to refund, then you can commence the dispute
Not really, any payments by credit card is actually the credit cards money, hence they involve themselves in the dispute
yes you pay the bill later, but thats beyond the point

also, the merchant is forced to respond within 20 days if raising a dispute, as per amex rules anyway

highly suggest everyone to make a claim, since Emirates are deliberately not being clear on timeframes
djmp likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 6:15 pm

Had similar issues when India wouldn't let me into the country due to previous travel in Japan. I cancelled my roundtrip flight from IAD prior to the flight. I was told on the phone I'd be able to get a full refund via the form on the website. Applied on March 9 - still waiting.
Old Mar 27, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Ambassador Platinum
Booked with Miles.

I booked a FLL-SIN round trip F/J. Time to return and FLL service was suspended. EK says my only option is to fly to JFK and buy my own ticket on JetBlue to FLL.
JetBlue cost just under $300. Put in a refund request almost 2 weeks ago and havenít heard a peep. What do you think? Should I keep pursuing them to pay for the JetBlue flight or will it be a waste of time and effort?

By the way, F was really nice. It was cool to take a shower at 40,000 feet. But honestly J was almost as good for a lot less money (and points)

Last edited by big69bob; Mar 27, 20 at 12:57 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG
Looks like we all might have a bit of a wait in front of us.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...28731.html?amp
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:10 pm

I have a question about this voucher - if I cancel a $1000 emirates flight to get a voucher, can the voucher be applied to 2 separate emirates bookings of $500 each?

The reason is that I might have to cancel a pretty expensive emirates flight, and I no longer have the need to fly that expensive route - but can probably use the voucher on my typical route which is half the price.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: