Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

UK apparently bans EK shower spa attendants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:16 am
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Interesting article on OMAAT this morning regarding the UK banning EK shower attendants as they don't have the same licenses FA's do, and thus are not allowed the same visa privileges. Seems odd to bring this up years after EK started flying the A380 to the UK.
EK's solution in the interim is to staff another purser or F FA to clean the showers. Heres the link to the post: https://onemileatatime.com/uk-bans-e...er-attendants/
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
I wonder if some of the Cabin Service Attendants might have recently "overstayed" their visa, as happens on cruise ships, and hence the sudden backlash after so many years? On cruise ships, some countries refuse entry to certain nationalities unless they have some minimum number of years of service, ostensibly demonstrating by previous successful voyages that they do not intend to abscond after arrival.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Presumably the shower attendants are less trained (and less educated) than FAs as well as being paid less. It's an interesting/creative way for EK to staff flights so as to save money and also avoid asking professional FAs to perform cleaning duties. Since EK uses more than the standard/required number of FAs, the shower attendants wouldn't need to be responsible for any safety related duties.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since EK uses more than the standard/required number of FAs, the shower attendants wouldn't need to be responsible for any safety related duties.
Don't they occupy jumpseats at UL1 and UR1? I always figured they're responsible for a door - maybe not primary responsibility, but at least some responsibility.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If this doesn't get resolved, I'd guess that the showers would be out-of-action on UK flights before long. They're not going to permanently add another FA just for shower duties.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If this doesn't get resolved, I'd guess that the showers would be out-of-action on UK flights before long. They're not going to permanently add another FA just for shower duties.
They 100% will, at least to LHR. The brand damage/dilution on their most premium route would he too severe. And they're saving on 2 spa attendants, and while they're paid much less 2 of them for 1 FA is probably palatable to EK. Also they could roster more junior FAs to be responsible for this
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
... or they can just get them UK visas rather than rely on the crew privileges.
Peregrine415 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe they could hire UK nationals to work as shower attendants on all UK services?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
... or they can just get them UK visas rather than rely on the crew privileges.
You can't travel on a regular visa when you're part of an airline crew. And airline crew do require visas for some countries in some cases (based on their nationality), they can't just automatically travel anywhere because they're crew, OMAAT is wrong in that regard. The US certainly has specific restrictions and documentation requirements, I'd expect the UK to also likely have these.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:14 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You can't travel on a regular visa when you're part of an airline crew. And airline crew do require visas for some countries in some cases (based on their nationality), they can't just automatically travel anywhere because they're crew, OMAAT is wrong in that regard. The US certainly has specific restrictions and documentation requirements, I'd expect the UK to also likely have these.
My experience of this also shows that automatic entry to airline crew is not always given. Last year leaving DME, the aircraft went tech causing it to be cancelled.

I found out on a later flight that the crew had been admitted however could not be rostered on any LHR-Moscow flight for a considerable amount of time due to their immigration record in Russia.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:20 am

OMAAT is wrong in that regard
these bloggers are not known for their accuracy in reporting.

For one, I have never seen this:

The shower attendants also clean all the bathrooms throughout the plane between cleaning showers
They would spend their entire flight cleaning lavs on an A380!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
these bloggers are not known for their accuracy in reporting.

For one, I have never seen this:

They would spend their entire flight cleaning lavs on an A380!
This information is correct. The shower attendants are not flight safety trained. They occupy a passenger seat during takeoff/landing, You can spot them by their red aprons during flight. They are responsible for the showers and clean all bathrooms in all classes throughout the flight. They are paid considerably less than the cabin crew and must share hotel rooms down route.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Maybe they could hire UK nationals to work as shower attendants on all UK services?
UK themselves have to rely heavily on migrant workforce for basic duties like cleaning services. I don't think they'll have much luck with hiring UK nationals just for cleaning bogs.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:03 am

They 100% will, at least to LHR. The brand damage/dilution on their most premium route would he too severe. And they're saving on 2 spa attendants, and while they're paid much less 2 of them for 1 FA is probably palatable to EK. Also they could roster more junior FAs to be responsible for this
Yep good initiation for new joiners - make them clean the bogs
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
This information is correct. The shower attendants are not flight safety trained. They occupy a passenger seat during takeoff/landing, You can spot them by their red aprons during flight. They are responsible for the showers and clean all bathrooms in all classes throughout the flight. They are paid considerably less than the cabin crew and must share hotel rooms down route.
ok... I stand corrected. I knew that they kept the F lavs tidy, but never saw them cleaning the Y ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.