Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

UK apparently bans EK shower spa attendants

UK apparently bans EK shower spa attendants

Old Nov 4, 19, 8:16 am
  #1  
S.R
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York
Programs: EK Gold
Posts: 579
UK apparently bans EK shower spa attendants

Interesting article on OMAAT this morning regarding the UK banning EK shower attendants as they don't have the same licenses FA's do, and thus are not allowed the same visa privileges. Seems odd to bring this up years after EK started flying the A380 to the UK.
EK's solution in the interim is to staff another purser or F FA to clean the showers. Heres the link to the post: https://onemileatatime.com/uk-bans-e...er-attendants/
S.R is online now  
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dubai
Programs: SPG, HHonors
Posts: 86
I wonder if some of the Cabin Service Attendants might have recently "overstayed" their visa, as happens on cruise ships, and hence the sudden backlash after so many years? On cruise ships, some countries refuse entry to certain nationalities unless they have some minimum number of years of service, ostensibly demonstrating by previous successful voyages that they do not intend to abscond after arrival.
aeropix is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:21 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,022
Presumably the shower attendants are less trained (and less educated) than FAs as well as being paid less. It's an interesting/creative way for EK to staff flights so as to save money and also avoid asking professional FAs to perform cleaning duties. Since EK uses more than the standard/required number of FAs, the shower attendants wouldn't need to be responsible for any safety related duties.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 1:33 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SAN/SFO/LAX/HYD/DXB depending on the day
Programs: Bonvoyed Platinum, AS MVPG. EK Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR
Posts: 804
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Since EK uses more than the standard/required number of FAs, the shower attendants wouldn't need to be responsible for any safety related duties.
Don't they occupy jumpseats at UL1 and UR1? I always figured they're responsible for a door - maybe not primary responsibility, but at least some responsibility.
Metanoia is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 2:11 am
  #5  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 14,451
If this doesn't get resolved, I'd guess that the showers would be out-of-action on UK flights before long. They're not going to permanently add another FA just for shower duties.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 3:43 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
If this doesn't get resolved, I'd guess that the showers would be out-of-action on UK flights before long. They're not going to permanently add another FA just for shower duties.
They 100% will, at least to LHR. The brand damage/dilution on their most premium route would he too severe. And they're saving on 2 spa attendants, and while they're paid much less 2 of them for 1 FA is probably palatable to EK. Also they could roster more junior FAs to be responsible for this
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 4:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,079
... or they can just get them UK visas rather than rely on the crew privileges.
Peregrine415 and nancypants like this.
extramileage is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 4:19 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,477
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
If this doesn't get resolved, I'd guess that the showers would be out-of-action on UK flights before long. They're not going to permanently add another FA just for shower duties.
Maybe they could hire UK nationals to work as shower attendants on all UK services?
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 4:39 am
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
... or they can just get them UK visas rather than rely on the crew privileges.
You can't travel on a regular visa when you're part of an airline crew. And airline crew do require visas for some countries in some cases (based on their nationality), they can't just automatically travel anywhere because they're crew, OMAAT is wrong in that regard. The US certainly has specific restrictions and documentation requirements, I'd expect the UK to also likely have these.
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 5:14 am
  #10  
Moderator, Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Where My Heart Is
Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Posts: 2,894
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
You can't travel on a regular visa when you're part of an airline crew. And airline crew do require visas for some countries in some cases (based on their nationality), they can't just automatically travel anywhere because they're crew, OMAAT is wrong in that regard. The US certainly has specific restrictions and documentation requirements, I'd expect the UK to also likely have these.
My experience of this also shows that automatic entry to airline crew is not always given. Last year leaving DME, the aircraft went tech causing it to be cancelled.

I found out on a later flight that the crew had been admitted however could not be rostered on any LHR-Moscow flight for a considerable amount of time due to their immigration record in Russia.
Saltire74 is online now  
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
OMAAT is wrong in that regard
these bloggers are not known for their accuracy in reporting.

For one, I have never seen this:

The shower attendants also clean all the bathrooms throughout the plane between cleaning showers
They would spend their entire flight cleaning lavs on an A380!
extramileage is offline  
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DUB
Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 2,043
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
these bloggers are not known for their accuracy in reporting.

For one, I have never seen this:



They would spend their entire flight cleaning lavs on an A380!
This information is correct. The shower attendants are not flight safety trained. They occupy a passenger seat during takeoff/landing, You can spot them by their red aprons during flight. They are responsible for the showers and clean all bathrooms in all classes throughout the flight. They are paid considerably less than the cabin crew and must share hotel rooms down route.
MSPeconomist likes this.
modularmayhem is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 555
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Maybe they could hire UK nationals to work as shower attendants on all UK services?
UK themselves have to rely heavily on migrant workforce for basic duties like cleaning services. I don't think they'll have much luck with hiring UK nationals just for cleaning bogs.
JamesKidd is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:03 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 555
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
They 100% will, at least to LHR. The brand damage/dilution on their most premium route would he too severe. And they're saving on 2 spa attendants, and while they're paid much less 2 of them for 1 FA is probably palatable to EK. Also they could roster more junior FAs to be responsible for this
Yep good initiation for new joiners - make them clean the bogs
irishguy28 likes this.
JamesKidd is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 3:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
This information is correct. The shower attendants are not flight safety trained. They occupy a passenger seat during takeoff/landing, You can spot them by their red aprons during flight. They are responsible for the showers and clean all bathrooms in all classes throughout the flight. They are paid considerably less than the cabin crew and must share hotel rooms down route.
ok... I stand corrected. I knew that they kept the F lavs tidy, but never saw them cleaning the Y ones.
extramileage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: