Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

UK apparently bans EK shower spa attendants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK apparently bans EK shower spa attendants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Yep good initiation for new joiners - make them clean the bogs
Primarily it's wiping down the shower so that it's dry, and making sure the floor is clean and dry and arranging the amenities. Of course some pax are pigs and make a massive mess. And who do you think cleans the toilets on the 77Ws?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is much more about immigration policy. The attendants are not trained or licensed and thus not flight crew, eligible for admission as such.

Very much doubt that the showers are shut down. Would cause significant brand damage. It will simply mean additional crew as it does now. That has longer range retention issues as it certainly is the least desireable onboard position.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: QF
This sounds like an issue stirred up by the lacklustre carrier(s) native to the UK. If you can't compete with EK, try to bring them down. A shameful tactic. The shower attendants taking care of the spas up front are doing a fantastic job. When it comes down to it, it's really what separates EK from the rest.

Last edited by ZeeDoktor; Nov 6, 2019 at 9:02 am
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Moderator message:

Folks,

A number of posts have been removed following a drift from the topic being discussed. We would also ask that members keep veiled political comments for discussion in the OMNI/PR Forum.

Thanks

Saltire74
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ZeeDoktor
This sounds like an issue stirred up by the lacklustre carrier(s) native to the UK. If you can't compete with EK, try to bring them down. A shameful tactic. The girls taking care of the spa's up front are doing a fantastic job. When it comes down to it, it's really what separates EK from the rest.
You think if one of the US3 get a whiff of this, they'll get Trump to implement it as well ? Trump's in election mode so anything to drum up nationalism
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:07 am

None of the US3 plus BA have even a hunch of what first class service is. I've given them all a try. EK, QR, ET, SQ, AN, JL (in no particular order) are the only airlines I'm going back flying F. For the truly long haul ones, the showers are really quite wonderful and make up for where they fall short of the others (e.g. special meal requests).
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ZeeDoktor
None of the US3 plus BA have even a hunch of what first class service is. I've given them all a try. EK, QR, ET, SQ, AN, JL (in no particular order) are the only airlines I'm going back flying F. For the truly long haul ones, the showers are really quite wonderful and make up for where they fall short of the others (e.g. special meal requests).
Where does ET operate an F cabin to?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by cargueiro
EY? Probably a typo.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:04 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
“Home” is all I can think of. So must be ADD
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Comparing ET J to US3 J or BA F and J one might be forgiven to think it's F...
m3red likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:44 am

oops. indeed typo, meant EY of course.
XXTSGR likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:45 am

This thread is going OT, could we please stick to the topic and save the mods the effort of deleting posts
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: Enrich
If wiki stands correct, UK immigration has been always required a company certificate to grant crew visa for entry purpose, I am wondering if EK provides the certificate but the shower attendant has not been recoeved any proper training?

Since FAA also requires similar certificate for crew visa, it also makes me wonder how EK do with their shower attendant when they flying there
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I have seen these crew members on the US flights. As mentioned, they wear the apron and not only do the lavatories, but also help with cabin services (meals, trash, etc.). It is an interesting cost-saving technique. Not so unusual for cruise ships, but not something I had seen for in-flight operations otherwise.

I suspect the FAA has not understood this staff to be different in training than normal crew members. Perhaps this will change with the UK observations.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:40 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rasheed
I have seen these crew members on the US flights. As mentioned, they wear the apron and not only do the lavatories, but also help with cabin services (meals, trash, etc.). It is an interesting cost-saving technique. Not so unusual for cruise ships, but not something I had seen for in-flight operations otherwise.

I suspect the FAA has not understood this staff to be different in training than normal crew members. Perhaps this will change with the UK observations.
I'm 99% certain they don't do anything related to meals.
Bouncingsouls likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.