Seat charge

Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:12 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
One online check-in opens 48 hours prior to departure you can almost select most seats for free bar the extra legroom and twin seats I think. If you reach Silver status then you can preselect the regular seats for the return journey but if you have not flown for a while not sure how that is achievable in Y unless on a flex plus ticket from the Americas
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:16 am

Seat selection is free when online check in opens 48 hours before departure of your first flight.

Look at your Skywards account and go the statement page. You should see a graphic showing your earnings, and above it a summary of what you need to achieve or renew status level.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
All seats except extra legroom are free at OLCI, including twins. If you go to manage your booking it'll show you the breakdown of miles earned for each segment. You need 25k in a 12 month period for Silver. These are tier miles. Skywards miles are redeemable and expire in your birthday month 3 years from now, I'm not sure which you refer to as expiring, since seat selection has been chargeable for over 12 months so if this is your first encounter with it then you've likely not flown for over 12 months and thus have 0 tier miles.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:41 pm

Thanks folks. I’ll just hope that there will be decent seats available when online check in opens. I won’t have enough to get to silver.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:44 am

Exit Row Strategy

I'm flying tomorrow on a flight showing Y, E, R, W = 1 and a dummy booking showing 1 seat available for sale on the EK website. EF shows 3 regular seats unoccupied, plus 10 of the 12 exit row seats. Nothing blocked.

Is it safe to assume some exit rows will be occupied, and presumably have to be complimentary, or will they try to upsell at check in until they have no choice? I assume computer will say no to complimentary until all regular seats are full.

What strategy should I use to try and get one for myself?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I'm flying tomorrow on a flight showing Y, E, R, W = 1 and a dummy booking showing 1 seat available for sale on the EK website. EF shows 3 regular seats unoccupied, plus 10 of the 12 exit row seats. Nothing blocked.

Is it safe to assume some exit rows will be occupied, and presumably have to be complimentary, or will they try to upsell at check in until they have no choice? I assume computer will say no to complimentary until all regular seats are full.

What strategy should I use to try and get one for myself?
the flight is likely oversold by 5-15. Exit rows will all be occupied. No idea when they'll be complimentary
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Well after the new rule came in I chanced my luck on a flight BKK-DXB last month and was granted extra legroom seats at check in. The flight was not full and the check in agent changed our seats, without a fee.

However, once on board the crew would not allow any one else to sit in the other exit row seats that were empty, stating that they need to be paid for. We may have just been lucky or maybe they will give them (if available) to pax with status??
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Will08
Well after the new rule came in I chanced my luck on a flight BKK-DXB last month and was granted extra legroom seats at check in. The flight was not full and the check in agent changed our seats, without a fee.

However, once on board the crew would not allow any one else to sit in the other exit row seats that were empty, stating that they need to be paid for. We may have just been lucky or maybe they will give them (if available) to pax with status??
If there are no other seats available of course those seats will be assigned for free before they upgrade to J, but once on board if everyone has a seat then those seats wouldn't be available unless paid
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If there are no other seats available of course those seats will be assigned for free before they upgrade to J, but once on board if everyone has a seat then those seats wouldn't be available unless paid
Yes, but I said my flight was not full. There were several empty seats not including exit row seats.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:21 am

Yes, but I said my flight was not full. There were several empty seats not including exit row seats.
That's not an indication of it not being full. As I said it's likely 5-15 over
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
That's not an indication of it not being full. As I said it's likely 5-15 over
I was making the point that there might not need to be any strategy, just simply ask for an exit row seat at check in, regardless of whether or not the flight is full.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:49 pm

I was making the point that there might not need to be any strategy, just simply ask for an exit row seat at check in, regardless of whether or not the flight is full.
I understood not full to mean not all exit rows taken. Where non-exit rows also empty? That's more significant info.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:18 am

That's good to hear - fingers crossed as availability is now 0 in all Economy groups after going up and down a bit yesterday.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Emergency seat once onboard - new policy?

On a flight to DXB, still on the ground with 1h30 of delay and seating on an emergency seat at the back (row 68).

I ask the supervisor if I can take a front row seat, which is empty, as I have a tight connection in Dubai and cant lose any time disembarking by being at the back. Not sure it makes a difference for my question but she knows I am a frequent flyer (she recognizes me from a previous flight the day before).

She tells me that I cannot change to the front row as these are paying extra seats. I tell her its the first time someone denies me a seat change, even to exit row, when the seat is free. And that I want to change to gain time, because the delay will make me miss the connection. I also say that I am already on an exit row.

She tells me she needs to check, and goes to my seat in row 68 to inspect it before granting the seat change.

Afterwards she assures me that there is a new policy and that if I had been in a regular seat she would not have been able to switch me. Even as Platinum.

Is there such a new policy? Its the first time I have heard of this. And several times in the last 2 months I have been offered a change, even without asking, from a regular seat to a free emergency
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:05 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Yes, appears to be a new policy. Has been reported here, can't find the thread at the moment but it was not that long ago (maybe 10 days).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.