A380 Turbulence

Old Jul 14, 19, 8:47 am
Original Poster

A380 Turbulence

Hi All,
Just read this article online and thought I would share. Must have been some heavy turbulence.....

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...emirates-a380/

Old Jul 14, 19, 2:44 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by ekgoldmember View Post
Hi All,
Just read this article online and thought I would share. Must have been some heavy turbulence.....

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...emirates-a380/

Damn that's bad - i am flying this route in a few days time too!
Old Jul 14, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I have been asked to sit down and buckle up in the bar a few times-now I know why.
SS
Old Jul 14, 19, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Damn that's bad - i am flying this route in a few days time too!
Yes on the A380 next week too. Sure this is an isolated incident
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ekgoldmember View Post

Yes on the A380 next week too. Sure this is an isolated incident
Turbulence occurs regularly on all types of aircraft and airlines. Serious incidents are becoming more common but are still quite rare, and the A380 is one of the most stable and turbulence-resilient aircraft in the sky, so to make even the slightest connection or implication that this is an A380 specific issue is disingenous
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:14 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I agree with skywardhunter. Personally when seated or sleeping on any aircraft I usually wear my seat belt just as I do in a car not because I am afraid but just in case the unexpected happens and we hit clear air turbulence or stronger turbulence than expected
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
I agree with skywardhunter. Personally when seated or sleeping on any aircraft I usually wear my seat belt just as I do in a car not because I am afraid but just in case the unexpected happens and we hit clear air turbulence or stronger turbulence than expected
Yeah, even when sat in the on-board lounge I always use the seat belt.
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Yeah, even when sat in the on-board lounge I always use the seat belt.
I always keep my seat belt on while seated, regardless of how smooth the flight is, but in the lounge you have to live a little!
Old Jul 15, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: Skywards
I've always had great experiences on the A380, little to no turbulence. The A380 is a total beast (when compared with the other models) #stealthmode

So you could imagine how I felt on my most recent GLA-DXB when the plane was grounded for 2+ hours at Glasgow and 20 minutes of it being in the air the turbulence kicked in and all sorts went through my mind!
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:09 pm

We experienced some significant turbulence ex-LA on the 14th that delayed meal service by about 45 minutes. The first time Iíve encountered it to this degree on this route
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: EK platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I always keep my seat belt on while seated, regardless of how smooth the flight is, but in the lounge you have to live a little!
And take the risk you could die a little!!
Old Jul 23, 19, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
About a year and a half ago I was on EY103 (A380) from AUH to JFK. About 20-30 minutes after departure we hit some severe turbulence. There was virtually no warning and the seatbelt sign was off at the time. There was a very quick sharp jolt followed 10 seconds later by a violent left hand rolling motion and some very heavy chop for about 30 seconds. Just as suddenly as it came, it was gone and completely smooth for the remaining 13 hours of the flight. Definitely could hear glasses or plates breaking in the galley behind but luckily meal/beverage service had not yet begun so there was nothing in the cabin yet. This instance almost struck me as possibly being wake turbulence from a preceding aircraft as there was no weather at the time at all. Never did find out what it for sure was though. Shortly after the event I made eye contact with the individual in the apartment across the aisle from mine, sort of shrugged, and then the crew came around with drinks shortly after. Much needed at that point.

At any rate, while seated and sleeping I will always fasten my seat belt outside of my blanket. Not as tight as I would wear it for takeoff/landing, but enough that it will still restrict my movement in the event of a heavy turbulence event. In the lounge if it seems like it's going to get choppy I will, but usually not.
blurt91 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: