Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK to EK connection in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

EK to EK connection in HKG

I booked BKK to DXB in F, or thought so, due to convenient departure time 14:05 (EK384). Well, I'm now booked on EK A380 BKK HKG (in C as F not available...) scheduled arrival at 18:05, and then transit on to EK383 (F) - 19:10 departure.

I dont mind spending additional 1,5 hrs on A380 first or 2,5hrs on A380 business either (fare is the same compared to direct BKK DXB in F), => but is 1h 5min connection time enough in HKG? Gates should be close to each other, but I believe I need to go trough security again? Any fast track for premium passengers in transfer security?

Last edited by Finnflyer; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:23 pm

I think you're flight numbers and routings are all mixed up - if you were on EK384 departing 14:05 you were heading to HKG anyway, not DXB. EK380 is the flight that lands in HKG at 18:05, but it comes from DXB, not BKK.

Despite that, if Emirates have made the booking and it's on one ticket then it'll comply with minimum connection times, they're happy you can make it and they'll be responsible for getting you to where you should be if you don't. Might not have much lounge time though.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Assuming your flight is on time, no problem at all.

MCT on Cathay in HKG is 50 minutes. And it's more than enough.

And yes, you are also right that those two flights usually (although not always) dock next to each other at the 60s gates. Many gates at HKG are NOT A380 compatible (none of the local airlines, including quasi monopolist CX/KA, have them); gates 62, 64 and 66, which are all next to each other is the one bank where you have multiple A380 gates next to each other. The others are Gate 21, Gate 5, and perhaps a few others. But EKs three A380s HKG departures normally always park out at the 60s gates; only the 77W morning departure has a bit more variability, often high 20s or 30s.

i am not familiar with what EK does for premium pax at HKG transit, but CX doesn't offer fast track and it's their home airport. To the best of my knowledge this does not actually exist at HKG transit security. However, CX staff are often on hand to pick you up at the gate if your connection is tight, and will use their staff ID to take you past the line. Whether EK does this, I'm not sure. But I am 100pct certain if your flight is even 15-20 minutes late, you will have zero problem at all.

There is a transit security bank right there at the 60s gates where you deplane. Transit security just takes you from downstairs arrivals to upstairs departures. Minimal walking.

Since EK sold you the ticket my guess is they'd have someone waiting for you if tight. There is also a later EK flight to HKG that night, although I imagine that doesnt appeal. Unfortunately nothing can be done, of course, if your inbound flight is an hour late or whatever. Good luck.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Finnflyer
I booked BKK to DXB in F, or thought so, due to convenient departure time 14:05 (EK384). Well, I'm now booked on EK A380 BKK HKG (in C as F not available...) scheduled arrival at 18:05, and then transit on to EK383 (F) - 19:10 departure.

I dont mind spending additional 1,5 hrs on A380 first or 2,5hrs on A380 business either (fare is the same compared to direct BKK DXB in F), => but is 1h 5min connection time enough in HKG? Gates should be close to each other, but I believe I need to go trough security again? Any fast track for premium passengers in transfer security?
Most likely scenario is you are slightly delayed due to HKG congestion, you get off the plane at 18:30-18:35, run to transit security which should you should clear in minutes, and then reach your gate at 18:45-18:50 with 5-10 min to gate close.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Short follow up on this.

Flight arrived HKG approx 15mins behind the schedule due to congestion in HKG. We were parked next to EK383. When disembarking there was Emirates staff member waiting for me. She guided trough security (passed the short queue) and then directly to the gate. Y boarding still ongoing with 50m queue. Plenty of time to drink few glasses of Dom Perignon rose 2006 before departure.

If you have time, and would appreciate few extra hrs in EK F & J, apparently at the same cost than direct BKK DXB, this might be an option to choose.

Last edited by Finnflyer; Jul 23, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.