Wiki Posts
Search

Real life benefits of Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:31 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by GEB74
I had priority baggage tags ripped off last week.
Gold, flying in Y with family, DXB-MAN, all same surname.
5 suitcases, all tagged at check in, all ripped off and last on the belt on arrival at Manchester.
Great way to piss your customers off............
Might be worth telling them about that. It's an obvious flaw in the system.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Here is my experience of Plat vs. Gold:

+ Wife is now nominated Gold
+ F Lounge in DXB
+ Reserved Parking in the Dubai Mall (one of the best benefits). You downlaod the Dubai Mall app, login with your credentials and there is a option to put in your license plate number. Especially on the weekends or holidays (when you are usually driving up to P8 or 09 and have to queue for 1 hour to find a parking lot... you drive into the reserved parking area and done.
+ Op-up: I took some time to investigate this. My result is that the upgrades are happening according to booked ticket fare. Plat and IO's do not matter here. I talked with Supervisors on outstations and pursers during the flight. One purser told me that when they started this he even made a report. As an IO and Plat was sitting in Y, during a Blue member has been upgraded to J. Still this is the case. So that they reversed it and now first Plat are upgraded regardless of the fare booked is simply incorrect. I experienced this myself. My wife and I were booked on two different tickets. I booked for me J and for her Y and upgraded her with miles to J. At the gate, she received an F boarding pass and I was not upgraded to F. So for her technically a double upgrade. Luckily I had enough miles, so I upgraded myself to F as well.
Dambus, Tanzguy and Zol like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Everyone failed to mention a few more perks.. You 'only' have to spend an additional 65,000 USD once you have obtained Plat to then have your tier miles rolled over after reaching 150,000... Spend another 25k you to get to upgrade two flights from J to F for half the miles and finally spend another 35,000 to get two complimentary upgrades from J to F...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by Will08
Everyone failed to mention a few more perks.. You 'only' have to spend an additional 65,000 USD once you have obtained Plat to then have your tier miles rolled over after reaching 150,000... Spend another 25k you to get to upgrade two flights from J to F for half the miles and finally spend another 35,000 to get two complimentary upgrades from J to F...
Piece of cake...........NOT!!!

I may well be able to roll over the excess tier miles, but the other spends are definitely a bridge too far. In any case, most of the time I'm on an F ticket, so the extra spends have no meaning for me.
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Will08
It really will be interesting to see if anyone can reach that. It does seem very very high. Almost to the point that someone who spends that amount per year wouldn't care about mileage rollover or upgrades? Maybe it is geared more towards UAE based flyers, with prices for tickets being higher for trips starting in UAE.

Plus, I thought I had to "only" spend 25k USD to get the J to F upgrades..... Not 90K. That is quite high, but now explains why the little tracker bar is not yet moving on the 25k or 35k spends on my account page.... I'm not sure I'll even spend 25k USD total, though I should still make Platinum.
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh

My understanding is that the barcode on the luggage has the information on class of service / status and that this then determines how it gets loaded / delivered. The tag itself has little influence on this, it is more to please the customer.
The tags are useful when handed off to an interline partner that has priority baggage handling themselves, like Hawaiian.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UAworldwide
It really will be interesting to see if anyone can reach that. It does seem very very high. Almost to the point that someone who spends that amount per year wouldn't care about mileage rollover or upgrades? Maybe it is geared more towards UAE based flyers, with prices for tickets being higher for trips starting in UAE.

Plus, I thought I had to "only" spend 25k USD to get the J to F upgrades..... Not 90K. That is quite high, but now explains why the little tracker bar is not yet moving on the 25k or 35k spends on my account page.... I'm not sure I'll even spend 25k USD total, though I should still make Platinum.
I am not 100 percent sure but that is how I have interpreted it for that exact reason - the tracker for the other two 'goals' hasn't changed. I pay for all of my flights out of my own pocket so there is no chance I would reach any of those targets. It is a crazy amount to spend for such little reward regardless.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by BadoRas
Totally agree.

I attain platinum by virtue of my chosen frequency and class of travel. I would never go out of my way to do that extra 'tier miles run' purely to make the 150K tier miles. If Emirates were really smart about it, they would make the platinum benefits something REALLY worth having. That would be a much better driver for people to spend that extra amount to make it to platinum.

For me, the only real benefit is access to the DXB F lounge, but many plats like myself tend to fly F most of the time anyway. I feel it's time Emirates really made platinum a tier level WORTH ATTAINING. The latest incentives are mediocre and unattainable for many. Yes, I will probably be able to roll over my excess tier miles into the next 12 month period, but my flight frequency and class of travel ensures I will make platinum anyway, without rolling over an excess. So all I'm doing is accumulating excess tier miles with no incentive. Benefits such as a number of guaranteed upgrades each year, and reduced miles for further upgrades without the condition of very high spend limits, would definitely interest people.

It just doesn't seem very sparkly making it to platinum, and I wish it did. I would be interested to hear opinions from other platinums (platina?) and from those tantalisingly close to 150K tier miles.
Couldn‘t agree more. Same issue here, I end up as Plat by default, Would not target it if I had other options. And that is what EK is banking on: why offer additional (revenue-eating) perks if you can get away without granting them? Still can‘t see any of the info on the new perks (not as if I will end up earning them; while I end up with Plat, that‘s about the level of my EK travel and spend, luckily not much more than that ) on the website, though, even when I log in.
Tanzguy, gillyd22 and BadoRas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.