Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding by bus in DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by OtardXO
Can you tell from the gate number, if it likely to be boarding by bus?
When I’m not sure, I ask when entering the lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by OtardXO
Can you tell from the gate number, if it likely to be boarding by bus?
I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere which highlights most of them. Good luck finding it.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:09 am

I often fly CPT-DXB and land at 1am and it is nearly always a bus ride.
It's a 10 hour flight and it does annoy me that that is the case. In addition, on my last flight a few weeks ago from DXB-CPT it was a really old plane. We boarded from B gates so all good but it had the underseat box and the screens that don't really touch.
If you are on a 777 and land nearer to 1am chances are you will be on a bus. If you fly Economy at the back sometimes they open the back door and that's not as bad. And if the bus has good ac it's OK too but I have had terrible ac where I have felt so unwell by the time I have arrived at the terminal.
It's one of the things I hate about Emirates.

Whereas I often fly BA from Terminal 1 where you will NEVER get a bus - it's brilliant!
ps107 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
What's nice is that they've added that new shortcut for pax buses from the remote parking at the far end of the A concourse (near the royal terminal). The buses don't have to drive allllllll the way around stuck behind luggage carts. Been there around 6 months, anyone else noticed it?
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by purplevicki
I often fly CPT-DXB and land at 1am and it is nearly always a bus ride.
In my experience, arrivals from Africa almost always end up at a remote stand. However, I always arrive in the 21:00 to 23:00 range, and that may well be the reason.

Despite the arrival time, I have often wondered if there's an element of "send the African arrivals to the remote stand" to avoid doing it to other arrivals containing people who Emirates prefers not to annoy.

That's unlikely, but that's how it feels sometimes.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ps107
Then there's the 20 minutes standing inside the bus parked by the aircraft waiting for the cleaners to finish preparing the plane.
I had one where the bus took us to the wrong plane. 10 am, blazing hot on the runway. Passengers flooded up the stairs only to be stopped by FA at the top. Took 3 ground staff in high-vis with a walkie-talkie 15 minutes to figure out that the next step was "everyone come down the stairs and get back onto the bus."
Originally Posted by ps107
A friend had to disembark from an A380 by bus after the ~16 hour flight from AKL once. That would have been fun!
I often get it on the 14 hr SYD-DXB.
Originally Posted by BadoRas
In my experience, arrivals from Africa almost always end up at a remote stand. ...

Despite the arrival time, I have often wondered if there's an element of "send the African arrivals to the remote stand" to avoid doing it to other arrivals containing people who Emirates prefers not to annoy.
I often get it on the 14 hr SYD-DXB.
And GVA-DXB. So not, it's not just Africa.
ps107 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I wonder, then, if I will arrive to a remote stand for my TUN-DXB flight on Thursday, which is scheduled to land at 2300.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
777s have a higher likelihood of ending on a stand and Africa has more 777s flying there....so...

It happens more often than before for A380s as well nowadays and no one (including ground and cabin crew) likes to disembark a double decker through just 2 flights of stairs. (and one time I had door 2L not open, so everyone including J through door 1L...total nightmare)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:46 pm

In my experience, arrivals from Africa almost always end up at a remote stand. However, I always arrive in the 21:00 to 23:00 range, and that may well be the reason.

My experience is route specific. I do Nairobi every month - no bus gates (mostly A gates). Lusaka/Harare on the other hand 100% bus on 3 trips.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by simons1
My experience is route specific. I do Nairobi every month - no bus gates (mostly A gates). Lusaka/Harare on the other hand 100% bus on 3 trips.
Funnily enough most of my EK flights are to/from NBO and I've got a bus gate a lot but usually on EK722 vs 720 (and didn't get it on 718 the one time I took it). However 5am is a busy time at DXB so I get it
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

I think there is some truth in this. After flying TUN-DXB often last year and always getting a remote stand I decided to ask the crew on one particular flight just after landing. Their response was "we have flown from Africa...." in a tone suggesting a remote stand was a given.

I have also had to use remote stands on the rare flights that land early, meaning it doesn't pay to be early.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Will08
I think there is some truth in this. After flying TUN-DXB often last year and always getting a remote stand I decided to ask the crew on one particular flight just after landing. Their response was "we have flown from Africa...." in a tone suggesting a remote stand was a given.

I have also had to use remote stands on the rare flights that land early, meaning it doesn't pay to be early.
with all due respect, crew don't have the faintest idea. I have a relative who is an A380 captain and I doubt he knows fully either but has indicated it has to do with the aircraft's next destination. So I think it depends more on where it's going to next (and when) rather than where it's coming from.

Also as stated, more 77Ws from Africa
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
with all due respect, crew don't have the faintest idea. I have a relative who is an A380 captain and I doubt he knows fully either but has indicated it has to do with the aircraft's next destination. So I think it depends more on where it's going to next (and when) rather than where it's coming from.

Also as stated, more 77Ws from Africa
True, the crew may not have any idea as to the WHY but they can certainly talk from experience and their answer suggested it was the norm for it to be a remote stand. They could very easily have said it is because we were on a 777 but they didn't.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Will08

My TUN-DXB flight ended up at the C concourse. Another oddity was my DXB-YYZ yesterday left from the C Concourse! This means I had A, B, and C gates for my flights this past month, and I got to visit each of the F lounges.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by JTXC
My TUN-DXB flight ended up at the C concourse. Another oddity was my DXB-YYZ yesterday left from the C Concourse! This means I had A, B, and C gates for my flights this past month, and I got to visit each of the F lounges.
It really can be anything. I've had flights from India arrive at A on a 77W, A380s to MUC departing from C. There's no predictable system
Tanzguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.