Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Multistop vs. 'short-checking' luggage question

Old Apr 21, 19, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium

Dear EK Friends

I hope you can help me - the question relates to a trip upcoming (2nd honeymoon trip) in September which is a bit of a surprise for my wife (she thinks we'll take AA to LAX) so it would be great to get your thoughts here in forum and I won't have to discuss this in front of a check in agent (keen not to let her know where we go as long as possible - e.g. until we go to security at DXB

I am booked LHR to DPS based on the following itinerary:

LHR - DXB EK002 1420 - 0020 +1 (arriving 25th Sept)
DXB - DPS EK450 0150 - 1500 (departing 26th Sept)

As you can see, there is an about 25hrs layover between the flights (we are spending the time in DXB to have a break as we only fly in Y - I thought I splash the money on better hotels instead). I was thinking that our luggage will be checked in to DXB, we collect at belts and then we'll check in for the next flight in DXB again. During my Easter Sunday morning read in the bed with coffee I have now stumbled across the following thread:

Ticked off at EK...

Long story short, a GCC resident in DXB booked ATH to DOH with a stopover in DXB but he luggage was directly tagged to DOH (being a former GCC resident myself, I know why he tried to trick the system He could not retrieve his luggage at DXB.

So my question is - will they check through our luggage directly to DPS and I need to prep sufficient carry on luggage? As some of you can imagine, not a problem for me but it gets slightly more difficult for my better half (dress, cosmetics, swim suit, etc etc etc). Also I would need to give her an early warning before departure re/ where we actually go.

Can anyone please help and confirm how the baggage will tagged?

Many thanks!
Daniel

PS: I have tried to find other posts re/ short checking but did not find a conclusive answer. I'll be EK Silver but I guess that won't matter.
Old Apr 21, 19, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
With a more than 24h layover it has to be checked only to DXB as you've got a stopover not a connection.

How will your wife not know you're flying EK when you're at the EK check-in desk or clearly not onboard an AA plane?
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:00 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond, Mileage Plan member, HHonors Gold
I think your wife will quickly realise that she is not flying AA nor flying to LAX when you check in for EK002.

EK generally won't sell tickets LHR-DXB-LAX and whilst your wife might not know that, she can probably work out you would be a fool to fly that route if it were available. So she will probably deduce she is going to DXB on EK and then perhaps further east on EK or another carrier.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You’ll be able to pick up your luggage in DXB. How generally clued-in is your wife? I could easily spin a story about EK flying to LAX because she just doesn’t care very much about those things.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:26 am

You might have realised from the responses that the OP in thread you quoted isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and not to be taken seriously, but as others have said > 24 hours means you'll get your bags.
Duck1981 likes this.

Last edited by ft101; Apr 21, 19 at 6:43 am
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
You might have realised from the responses that the OP in thread you quoted isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and not to be taken seriously, but as others have said > 24 hours means you'll get your bags.
Well, I will be in 2 weeks in DXB and was thinking to ask HRH and Sir Tim personally how it works, but thanks to FT, I can concentrate on my meetings and on the FS Jumeirah
skywardhunter, thijsseh and DYKWIA like this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
With a more than 24h layover it has to be checked only to DXB as you've got a stopover not a connection.

How will your wife not know you're flying EK when you're at the EK check-in desk or clearly not onboard an AA plane?
I was actually thinking of blindfolding her (I guess she would like that anyway) and put earplugs in her ear - but in the end, the idea is not to tell her the final destination as long as possible - e.g. until we come back to DXB for the next lag. She was a big fan of Bali when we went there for the actual honeymoon so I hope it should give her a bit of a nice surprise!

Thanks skywardhunter for your insight (as usual!)
Daniel
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cargueiro View Post
I think your wife will quickly realise that she is not flying AA nor flying to LAX when you check in for EK002.

EK generally won't sell tickets LHR-DXB-LAX and whilst your wife might not know that, she can probably work out you would be a fool to fly that route if it were available. So she will probably deduce she is going to DXB on EK and then perhaps further east on EK or another carrier.
You are absolutely correct - we've been a few times in DXB so she will know that EK from London is Asia focussed. I won't like to tell her until departure from DXB what the final destination is but she's clever enough to deduce that it might be DPS though! We have stayed many times in the RC in the Marina but will go to the FS in Jumeirah this time (and will stay in FS hotels in Bali) so I hope that will be a bit of an initial surprise before the actual surprise with DPS....
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You’ll be able to pick up your luggage in DXB. How generally clued-in is your wife? I could easily spin a story about EK flying to LAX because she just doesn’t care very much about those things.
Thanks LondonElite

I think she'll definitely recognize once I go to the EK desk that something is up - whilst not having a Gold card she's flying enough to connect the dots.....

As I said to other posters though we've been to DXB quite regularly and were also flying to LAX from LHR so I think she'll guess Asia (tbh she might guess even DPS at that point)
I am keen though not to let her know the final destination until I need to give her the BP in DXB...
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Well, good luck to you!
Duck1981 likes this.

Search this Thread