FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multistop vs. 'short-checking' luggage question
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:17 am
Duck1981

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Multistop vs. 'short-checking' luggage question

Dear EK Friends

I hope you can help me - the question relates to a trip upcoming (2nd honeymoon trip) in September which is a bit of a surprise for my wife (she thinks we'll take AA to LAX) so it would be great to get your thoughts here in forum and I won't have to discuss this in front of a check in agent (keen not to let her know where we go as long as possible - e.g. until we go to security at DXB

I am booked LHR to DPS based on the following itinerary:

LHR - DXB EK002 1420 - 0020 +1 (arriving 25th Sept)
DXB - DPS EK450 0150 - 1500 (departing 26th Sept)

As you can see, there is an about 25hrs layover between the flights (we are spending the time in DXB to have a break as we only fly in Y - I thought I splash the money on better hotels instead). I was thinking that our luggage will be checked in to DXB, we collect at belts and then we'll check in for the next flight in DXB again. During my Easter Sunday morning read in the bed with coffee I have now stumbled across the following thread:

Ticked off at EK...

Long story short, a GCC resident in DXB booked ATH to DOH with a stopover in DXB but he luggage was directly tagged to DOH (being a former GCC resident myself, I know why he tried to trick the system He could not retrieve his luggage at DXB.

So my question is - will they check through our luggage directly to DPS and I need to prep sufficient carry on luggage? As some of you can imagine, not a problem for me but it gets slightly more difficult for my better half (dress, cosmetics, swim suit, etc etc etc). Also I would need to give her an early warning before departure re/ where we actually go.

Can anyone please help and confirm how the baggage will tagged?

Many thanks!
Daniel

PS: I have tried to find other posts re/ short checking but did not find a conclusive answer. I'll be EK Silver but I guess that won't matter.