Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade compensation..?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat
Downgrade compensation..?

Does anyone know what Emirates usually offer for a passenger who gets downgraded from J to Y at the airport? Colleague of mine is booked on a flight which is completely full in F and heavily overbooked in J. He's prepared to fly in Y if the compensation is good enough - is it usually a return ticket to the destination in original class of travel? i.e. in his case, a return J ticket?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
Does anyone know what Emirates usually offer for a passenger who gets downgraded from J to Y at the airport? Colleague of mine is booked on a flight which is completely full in F and heavily overbooked in J. He's prepared to fly in Y if the compensation is good enough - is it usually a return ticket to the destination in original class of travel? i.e. in his case, a return J ticket?
Yes - normally a free return ticket in the same class.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The return ticket is for IDB, i.e. not flying. In case of a downgrade usually it's the fare difference, calculated by EK, which may not be a value you agree or are happy with
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The return ticket is for IDB, i.e. not flying. In case of a downgrade usually it's the fare difference, calculated by EK, which may not be a value you agree or are happy with
I know the fare difference applies if you are downgraded in the event of an equipment change but is that also the case when you show up to the airport in the event of overbooking? Doesn't seem fair as in the former, you may have the ability to change dates or flights while in the latter, you may be left with no choice.

I'll report back on what happens to him.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:35 am

Sorry for the partial hijack, does the IDB free return also include hotel, food, etc, since you're not flying?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where is the OP's friend departing from? If the EU, then EC 261/2004 downgrade reimbursement rules will apply.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Where is the OP's friend departing from? If the EU, then EC 261/2004 downgrade reimbursement rules will apply.
Dubai so this would not apply.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Ex DEL at the airport I have been offered J return to DXB , if I was willing to move to Y from J on the same flight .

i was on a DEL-DXB-LGW ticket and did not take up the offer.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hmmm.... not sure about that. Involuntary/Voluntary downgrades also get the return ticket I believe. At least they used to...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:25 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Hmmm.... not sure about that. Involuntary/Voluntary downgrades also get the return ticket I believe. At least they used to...
No chance, had two last year. You get nothing in short, I was refunded something like $35 for an F to J downgrade
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:27 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Sorry for the partial hijack, does the IDB free return also include hotel, food, etc, since you're not flying?
You get a hotel until the next flight and meal vouchers
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:37 am
Original Poster

By way of update, my colleague spoke to the supervisor on duty in DXB last night when checking in.

She told him that if he were downgraded to economy, he would be entitled to a business class ticket in line with the IDB rules. She mentioned that he would have to go to a ticket office (a gripe for some on here...) as it is a requirement to present the physical voucher when redeeming.

He said he would accept the compensation in the event of a downgrade and so she noted his preference on his PNR.

When he got to the gate... he discovered he had been upgraded to F (flex business, gold) as apparently there were three last minute no shows.

I guess this leaves things somewhat unclear given conflicting reports. Is it simply a matter of YMMV as to compensation? And if you have an IDB voucher, are you entitled to use it to redeem a ticket within your specific fare class only (so I, in his case) or if there is only one ticket left in J fare bucket, you could use it..?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Zol
No chance, had two last year. You get nothing in short, I was refunded something like $35 for an F to J downgrade
You should ask EK is that means its acceptabel for EK to book J then pay $35 to get upgrade to F
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
She mentioned that he would have to go to a ticket office (a gripe for some on here...) as it is a requirement to present the physical voucher when redeeming.

Actually, I booked mine over the phone, was super simple. There's a number printed on the certificate you give.

And if you have an IDB voucher, are you entitled to use it to redeem a ticket within your specific fare class only (so I, in his case) or if there is only one ticket left in J fare bucket, you could use it..?
The certificate books into J (!!) and is completely flexible. You can even book a placeholder flight the last day of validity for as far as the schedule goes out and then refine the ticket when you know when you want to travel, so up to ~2 years of validity really. It does, however, show up as "Saver" for purposes of upgrade mileage. It is marked as "airport only upgrades" but I successfully booked an upgrade to F when Z availability showed up.
Zol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.