Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

When Do Miles Credit? After Segment, Trip Or Fare Break Point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

Originally Posted by BadoRas
Not exactly true. Emirates update tier miles and Skywards miles when you reach your final destination, no matter how many legs there are in between. For example, when I fly MEL to LOS return, all miles are updated for the outbound journey only after I have landed in LOS after changing flights in DXB. Similarly, miles are only updated for the return journey when I have arrived back in MEL .
Yes the correct wording is actually after each segment is flown (A segment contains legs, MLE-DXB is a leg, MLE-LOS is a segment). This causes some unfortunate disadvantages to certain multi-city constructions that I regularly experience. E.g. CPT-DXB-BOM-DXB-MUC. The miles for DXB-BOM will post after I land in BOM (within a few hours), then BOM-DXB as soon as I land back in DXB (within a few hours), and CPT-DXB and DXB-MUC will post after I arrive in MUC, even if DXB-MUC is a month after CPT-DXB. This is because the ticket is constructed with CPT-MUC as a single married segment with a stopover in DXB, where a side-trip to BOM is then added.

I don't know how BA calculates but the post you quoted implied after the entire journey, i.e. MLE-DXB-LOS and back LOS-DXB-MLE have to all be complete before any of the miles post. I don't know if this is accurate or if I misunderstoof.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A segment is defined in IATA's glossary of terms as The operation between board point and any subsequent off point within the same flight number.

A leg is defined as The operation between a departure station and the next arrival station.
A Sector has the same definition as leg

( a station is a place to which a Location Identifier has been assigned and
a location identifier is A three alpha identifier used as a code in industry messaging and documentation to represent an airport, a city, a metropolitan area, a non-air location (e.g., rail location), and/or an off-line point used for communication. IATA assigns these codes. )

For example for someone travelling on the old SYD-DXB via BKK service,
Someone travelling SYD-BKK would do, I believe, 1 segment and 1 leg whilst someone travelling SYD-DXB via BKK would do 1 segment and 2 legs

Skywards credits miles at the destination of journey , regardless of number of legs/sectors or segments - with an exception that I found in that if a change requiring a reissue is required when at a stopover point, it then credits the origin to stopover at time of making the change and then credits stopover to destination on arrival at destination

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:32 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A segment is defined in IATA's glossary of terms as The operation between board point and any subsequent off point within the same flight number.

A leg is defined as The operation between a departure station and the next arrival station.
A Sector has the same definition as leg

( a station is a place to which a Location Identifier has been assigned and
a location identifier is A three alpha identifier used as a code in industry messaging and documentation to represent an airport, a city, a metropolitan area, a non-air location (e.g., rail location), and/or an off-line point used for communication. IATA assigns these codes. )

For example for someone travelling on the old SYD-DXB via BKK service,
Someone travelling SYD-BKK would do, I believe, 1 segment and 1 leg whilst someone travelling SYD-DXB via BKK would do 1 segment and 2 legs

Skywards credits miles at the destination of journey , regardless of number of legs/sectors or segments - with an exception that I found in that if a change requiring a reissue is required when at a stopover point, it then credits the origin to stopover at time of making the change and then credits stopover to destination on arrival at destination
Yes true, in my example what I described as a segment is actually two married segments. EK credits after a set of married segments is complete. EK counts sectors as origin to destination regardless of legs. If you're qualifying for status on sectors then cpt-dxb-lhr is a single sector.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From what's been described, I suspect that miles post after a fare component has been completed.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From what's been described, I suspect that miles post after a fare component has been completed.
Another way to describe it, yes
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yes true, in my example what I described as a segment is actually two married segments. EK credits after a set of married segments is complete. EK counts sectors as origin to destination regardless of legs. If you're qualifying for status on sectors then cpt-dxb-lhr is a single sector.
Married segments are different again
Married segments is a term used to identify two or more segments in an itinerary which are actioned as a single unit (set). Acceptance and sending of marriage information is controlled by bilateral agreements.

e.g. checking availability for SYD-DXB-LHR === SYD-DXB may return different availabilities when searched for on its own than it returns if looking for availability for SYD-LHR via DXB

Skywards simply uses the end of the one way journey - which would generally be at a fare break - on a one way ticket, it is at end of journey - on a r/t at the turnaround and the at end of journey - I suspect as put forward, for journeys with multiple fare components, Skywards would credit at each Fare Construction Point
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Married segments are different again
Married segments is a term used to identify two or more segments in an itinerary which are actioned as a single unit (set). Acceptance and sending of marriage information is controlled by bilateral agreements.

e.g. checking availability for SYD-DXB-LHR === SYD-DXB may return different availabilities when searched for on its own than it returns if looking for availability for SYD-LHR via DXB

Skywards simply uses the end of the one way journey - which would generally be at a fare break - on a one way ticket, it is at end of journey - on a r/t at the turnaround and the at end of journey - I suspect as put forward, for journeys with multiple fare components, Skywards would credit at each Fare Construction Point
EK heavily uses MSL, I guess we don't know on what basis they have created the logic, whether it is the fare break point or the end of a segment (married or not), the result is pretty much the same. The way EK miles are credited (and timing) is in my experience coincidental to when one completes a married segment (or standalone segment, such as a DXB-BOM leg on a side-trip

Emirates’ allocates seat inventory based on the passenger’s entire itinerary, POS and the revenue associated with the itinerary. When a flight is shown in an 'Availability Display', as part of a connection, the entire connection or travel option must be sold together. MSL is a mechanism to designate a “married unit” for online connection segments sold together.

Emirates have implemented MSL based on the following principles.
  • Marriages will have both waitlist and confirmed segment combinations.
  • Marriages are NOT restricted to travel within 24 hours
  • Maximum segments in a marriage are 3.
  • Partial ticketing of married segments will be subject to review and cancellation

So in my earlier example, CPT-DXB with a 1 month stopover, then DXB-MUC (and within the stopover a nested side trip or not, irrelevant) the CPT-MUC is a single married segment and the entire miles are credited after arrival in MUC. But again, whether that is because the segment has been flown or the fare break point has been reached is pretty much the same thing, since a segment won't carry past a the fare break point.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:21 pm

Emirates uses Married Sector logic, but this only impacts booking class availability - it has no impact on the skywards earning

Although not entirely unambiguous, the Skywards terms do state

3.The number of Miles earned will depend on the origin, destination, class of travel and fare purchased. Use our Miles Calculator on emirates.com to check the exact earning values for a particular flight.

7.If a Member purchases a mixed fare and/or mixed cabin ticket on Qualifying Flights, Miles will be credited separately for each fare component. The endorsement text or additional information area of the ticket is a partial indicator only. Full details of Miles earned on mixed fare tickets can be viewed at any time under the My Itinerary section of the Website or Emirates Skywards section of the Emirates App or under the Manage a Booking section of emirates.com or flydubai.com.

Skywards credits at the destination or fare break point.

So LHR-AKL going LHR-DXB-SYD-AKL ( for example ) would credit as LHR-AKL , not as LHR-DXB + DXB-SYD + SYD-AKL, and all miles will credit on arrival in Auckland

The passenger could have a 2 week break in Dubai and a 2 month break in Sydney ( for which of course there could be no married segments ) and it will still credit in Auckland

The gotcha that I found, when this was introduced, but might now be fixed , is if a change was made to booking in Sydney that required a ticket reissue, then it would then credit LHR-SYD as soon as ticket reissued and the credit a SYD-AKL when that takes place. I don't know if this festure has been fixed

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 28, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Emirates uses Married Sector logic, but this only impacts booking class availability - it has no impact on the skywards earning

3.The number of Miles earned will depend on the origin, destination, class of travel and fare purchased. Use our Miles Calculator on emirates.com to check the exact earning values for a particular flight.

7.If a Member purchases a mixed fare and/or mixed cabin ticket on Qualifying Flights, Miles will be credited separately for each fare component. The endorsement text or additional information area of the ticket is a partial indicator only. Full details of Miles earned on mixed fare tickets can be viewed at any time under the My Itinerary section of the Website or Emirates Skywards section of the Emirates App or under the Manage a Booking section of emirates.com or flydubai.com.

So LHR-AKL going LHR-DXB-SYD-AKL ( for example ) would credit as LHR-AKL , not as LHR-DXB + DXB-SYD + SYD-AKL, and all miles will credit on arrival in Auckland

The passenger could have a 2 week break in Dubai and a 2 month break in Sydney ( for which of course there could be no married segments ) and it will still credit in Auckland

The gotcha that I found, when this was introduced, but might now be fixed , is if a change was made to booking in Sydney that required a ticket reissue, then it would then credit LHR-SYD as soon as ticket reissued and the credit a SYD-AKL when that takes place. I don't know if this festure has been fixed
A married segment can contain a stopover, which is what I'm saying. We're both saying the same thing in different terms, and at this point rather off topic
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
A married segment can contain a stopover, which is what I'm saying. We're both saying the same thing in different terms, and at this point rather off topic
No it cannot

A married secotr is simply an availability search returning different availability depending on the search provided

For example search for CMB may return I0 forCMB-DXB and I4 for DXB-LHR, whist searching CMB-DBD may return I7 and DXB-LHR may return c& for the same flights

If there is a stopover , then the search can only be performed for CMB-DXB and DXB-LHR independently - you cannot have a through CMB-LHR journey with a 24 hour stop enroute

All of this is completely independent to how Skywards credits the flights

Whether booked CMB-LHR via DXB with just a transit in Dubai or whether booked as CMB-DXB / stopover/ DXB-LHR , Skywards will credit as CMB-LHR and it will credit on arrival in London

Here is an example of a search for CMB to LHR for 1st March

Originally Posted by EF
01/03/19 EK649 CMB-DXB F4 A4 J6 C2 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L0 T0 V0 X0
01/03/19 EK29 DXB-LHR F4 A4 J6 C2 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L0 T0 V0 X0

01/03/19 EK649 CMB-DXB F1 A0 J0 C0 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L0 T0 V0 X0
01/03/19 EK29 DXB-LHR F1 A0 J0 C0 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L0 T0 V0 X0
As you can see the availability on EK649 varies depending on the onward flight - such as C2 when connecting to EK29 vs C0 if connecting to EK29

If searching just for CMB-DXB using a US point of sale, the availability is different again

Originally Posted by EF
01/03/19 EK649 CMB-DXB F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0
This is what married segment logic relates to. As can see, standalone C7 I7 D7 O7 , whilst as a through booking to London is C2 I0 O0 or C0 I0 O0 , depending on the onward flight. Note : if there is a stopover in DXB, the availability can only be based on CMB-DXB standalone. This is an example where someone with an O class r/t LHR-CMB who wanted to change return date to 1st March, would only be able to do so if the person was prepared to spend a day in Dubai

Skywards credits on fare break or destination --- these have no relevance to whether any of the flights have , or do not have, any availability issues based on married sectors

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:53 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:32 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Moderator Note:

Please stay on topic otherwise the thread is at risk of being cleaned up and off-topic posts removed or closed.

Thanks.

The above discussion has been moved to its own separate thread from its original location
​​​​​​​

Saltire74
​​​​​​​EK Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by Saltire74; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:02 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Moderator Note:

Please stay on topic otherwise the thread is at risk of being cleaned up and off-topic posts removed or closed.

Thanks.

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
It is actually quite an interesting discussion. And as it is indeed OT, maybe a different thread can be created to stay within the rules?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

This is still the case. On a booking TUN-DXB-BKK-SYD miles posted after arrival in SYD. On the return SYD-SIN/BKK-DXB-TUN miles posted for the SYD-SIN leg after changing the date of the BKK-DXB-TUN part.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Will08
[/b]

This is still the case. On a booking TUN-DXB-BKK-SYD miles posted after arrival in SYD. On the return SYD-SIN/BKK-DXB-TUN miles posted for the SYD-SIN leg after changing the date of the BKK-DXB-TUN part.
Caused me a lot of points loss when it happened to me - I had SIN-BNE-AKL ; did a stopover in BNE , changed date for the BNE-AKL flight and so got credited for SIN-BNE then and then got credited for BNE-AKL when that was flown ; lost a lot of miles on a 1st class ticket from that given the bizarrely high rate for SIN-AKL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.