Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:28 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Hi All

Welcome to the EK Forum and the new Newbie thread for 2019.

If you are new to Flyertalk or flying with Emirates and have a question, then please feel free to post in this thread (No flaming allowed).

You can also have a look at our 2018 thread [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Please also have a look at the Emirates Forum Dashboard for a one-stop shop for all your needs.

From the The EK Forum Moderators and Ambassador team, we hope you have a safe, pleasant and exciting year of flying with Emirates.

Last edited by Saltire74; Dec 28, 2018 at 10:37 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:05 pm

Upgrade rules

Hi,

i recently booked flights to Tokyo, with economy outbound, and business return. I looked at the upgrade rules as I plan to upgrade the outbound stretch with cash, when I have it. I booked through a travel agent and originally had a saver fare but changed that to a flex fare so I could upgrade.

However, after reading the rules on the emirates website again, I’m a little confused. It says I can upgrade up to 6 hours before, but it doesn’t mention how soon I can upgrade.

Can i upgrade whenever? I don’t want to wait until just before flying, and risk it not being available. Can I upgrade in a couple of months when I have the finances available?

Sorry if this seems a daft question, just it doesn’t specify from WHEN I can upgrade.

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

A Saver Fare can be upgraded too, it just needs more cash. I think you may be looking at the options when upgrading using miles where a Saver cannot (until check in opens) but a Flex Fare can be done anytime.

An upgrade with cash can be done immediately, but as you've booked through a travel agent you may not be able to do it on the EK website. In addition, there will likely be agency fees to be added.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
A Saver Fare can be upgraded too, it just needs more cash. I think you may be looking at the options when upgrading using miles where a Saver cannot (until check in opens) but a Flex Fare can be done anytime.

An upgrade with cash can be done immediately, but as you've booked through a travel agent you may not be able to do it on the EK website. In addition, there will likely be agency fees to be added.
thanks for the reply! That makes sense. I waded through so many pages on the EK website but couldn’t find anything specific. I’m happy to upgrade through my TA. I was just worried I would have to wait until just before flying and risk not having the seats available.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Flyingmedic

thanks for the reply! That makes sense. I waded through so many pages on the EK website but couldn’t find anything specific. I’m happy to upgrade through my TA. I was just worried I would have to wait until just before flying and risk not having the seats available.

Thanks so much for your help!
Hi Flyingmedic

​​​​​​​
Welcome to the Emirate Forum. Good to see you here and definitely the right place for finding out anything to do with travelling on EK.

One thing to note is that you will have to do any changes before your outbound through your TA. EK will not apply any change requests as the ticket is ‘owned’ by the TA until OLCI opens (and even after, it may be a bit hard to apply any changes through EK rather than your TA but should be do-able).

I have been in this situation before but yours may differ - I called up EK to upgrade. Was told they couldn’t do it because it was a TA ticket. Contacted my (Corporate) TA who were able to upgrade. Now, EK normally doesn’t charge the change fee when upgrading with cash to a higher cabin (fare difference), however, when I mentioned this to my TA, they told me that they had no option but to charge the change fee on top of fare difference.

Your TA may operate differently but good luck and let us know how you get on. And as already mentioned by ft101, you can call up any time to make the change.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
. . . . (and even after, it may be a bit hard to apply any changes through EK rather than your TA but should be do-able).
Ha. I'm in the middle of a not do-able one just now so they do exist.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA
Hello - first post on the site so apologies if this has been asked before.
My whole family flew Emirates to Australia three years ago, and as a result each have 31,000 miles expiring at the end of March. We have no plans to fly with Emirates or a partner in the immediate future so I thought I'd better spend the miles before March. I bought a Gap voucher and kitchen utensils with my miles last autumn, but it looks like things have changed since then.
The children are skywards surfers, but I am unable to use their miles in the Emirates High Street, and can only buy vouchers where you need to present yourself in person at Dubai (or other Middle Eastern) airport - electronic Gap, Apple vouchers etc. are no longer available. I phoned up to complain and was told that the rules had changed in November. They certainly seem to have made it more difficult to claim rewards, and the items in the High Street are less attractive than before, though my wife could probably choose something.
Does anyone have any advice as to how to make best use of these miles before they expire?
And also, how to use the children's ones - they are named on my account, but if I select "spend miles" it tells me that I don't have any miles, so I don't seem to be able to access them anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:14 pm

when to buy ticket

First time flying Emirates. MCO to Cairo in October (in business). Since I first looked at prices, (when, unfortunately, it was too early to buy) the fare has increased by $800. Does Emirates have any promo codes? Or should I just go ahead and purchase (and never check again) or should I wait until closer to travel?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Katiebelle
First time flying Emirates. MCO to Cairo in October (in business). Since I first looked at prices, (when, unfortunately, it was too early to buy) the fare has increased by $800. Does Emirates have any promo codes? Or should I just go ahead and purchase (and never check again) or should I wait until closer to travel?
Hard to say really. EK rarely have sales (they may say they do, but the prices don't seem to change). However, occasionally, they seem to randomly reduce prices for a while on some routes.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:50 pm

Newbie question about Emirates J class to FlyDubai J class connection in DXB

Apologizes if this has been answered many times. I have searched many hours and haven't found an answer.

Any good lounge options for Business class passengers in DXB for 7hr layover?

We will be flying Business class from SFO to DXB to KTM. Business class on both legs. Just learned DXB to KTM will be on FlyDubai metal even though both flight numbers are EKxxx. I'm told I will have no access to the Emirates Business lounge in DXB during this long layover and that the FlyDubai T2 lounge is rather poor and Marhaba lounges are no better. On the return route I don't think this will be a problem. But does Emirates really do nothing for First & Business class passengers connecting from Emirates to their regional partner FlyDubai in DXB?

This is my first time flying Emirates, i.e. no status on Skywards. Was just expecting lounge access based on class of ticket. I convinced my 3 friends to join me in Emirates Business class for this trip rather than our usual Cathay Pacific Business class routing through Hong Kong. Now I'm starting to regret that decision. Do I have any good options? Thanks for any help/advice.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sdfl
Apologizes if this has been answered many times. I have searched many hours and haven't found an answer.

We will be flying Business class from SFO to DXB to KTM. Business class on both legs. Just learned DXB to KTM will be on FlyDubai metal even though both flight numbers are EKxxx. I'm told I will have no access to the Emirates Business lounge in DXB during this long layover and that the FlyDubai T2 lounge is rather poor and Marhaba lounges are no better. On the return route I don't think this will be a problem. But does Emirates really do nothing for First & Business class passengers connecting from Emirates to their regional partner FlyDubai in DXB?

This is my first time flying Emirates, i.e. no status on Skywards. Was just expecting lounge access based on class of ticket. I convinced my 3 friends to join me in Emirates Business class for this trip rather than our usual Cathay Pacific Business class routing through Hong Kong. Now I'm starting to regret that decision. Do I have any good options? Thanks for any help/advice.
I've heard that the FlyDubai lounge, while not like the one across the field, is at least OK. They do have champagne, and that goes a long way.

Also... the first FlyDubai flight doesn't leave till around 930am morning and the flight from SFO gets in around 1930... If I'm correct, I'd just book a room in a hotel and relax there.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You get lounge access in the FlyDubai lounge (as you mentioned). What exactly are you expecting, access to the EK lounges in T3? That won't be possible as you can't get back into T3 without a T3 boarding pass. You'll need to schlep over to T2 to the FlyDubai lounge.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

You get lounge access in the FlyDubai lounge (as you mentioned). What exactly are you expecting, access to the EK lounges in T3? That won't be possible as you can't get back into T3 without a T3 boarding pass. You'll need to schlep over to T2 to the FlyDubai lounge.
Yes, I was expecting EK lounge access. When I fly Singapore Airlines connecting to their code share/regional carrier, SilkAir, in Singapore I get KrisFlyer lounge access. When I fly Cathay Pacific connecting to Cathay Dragon in Hong Kong, I get Cathay Pacific lounge access. When I fly Japan Airlines connecting to their code shared Cathay Pacific flight in Tokyo, I get access to the JAL lounge. My understanding is that my Emirates flight arriving in T3 would give me access to T3 facilities up until the point I take the shuttle bus over to T2. At least that is what I was told by the Dubai International Hotel in T3 when I contacted them to ask about room options during this layover. The hotel representative stated I would be fine as long as I did not leave T3 until I was ready to shuttle over to T2. Are you saying I will be required to transit to T2 as soon at I disembark my Emirates flight in T3?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Yes, I was expecting EK lounge access. When I fly Singapore Airlines connecting to their code share/regional carrier, SilkAir, in Singapore I get KrisFlyer lounge access. When I fly Cathay Pacific connecting to Cathay Dragon in Hong Kong, I get Cathay Pacific lounge access. When I fly Japan Airlines connecting to their code shared Cathay Pacific flight in Tokyo, I get access to the JAL lounge. My understanding is that my Emirates flight arriving in T3 would give me access to T3 facilities up until the point I take the shuttle bus over to T2. At least that is what I was told by the Dubai International Hotel in T3 when I contacted them to ask about room options during this layover. The hotel representative stated I would be fine as long as I did not leave T3 until I was ready to shuttle over to T2. Are you saying I will be required to transit to T2 as soon at I disembark my Emirates flight in T3?
You can stay in T3 as long as you like. Taking the bus to T2 unfortunately means leaving the secure area, so keep in mind that you will need to re-clear security on the way to T2.

Also, some press releases by EK seem to imply that FZ J passengers will have access to lounges but that may be only for FZ flights leaving from T3 - these were flights mostly to eastern European countries. YMMV.
sdfl likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Metanoia
You can stay in T3 as long as you like. Taking the bus to T2 unfortunately means leaving the secure area, so keep in mind that you will need to re-clear security on the way to T2.

Also, some press releases by EK seem to imply that FZ J passengers will have access to lounges but that may be only for FZ flights leaving from T3 - these were flights mostly to eastern European countries. YMMV.
Just add: Upon arrival in DXB you would follow connections and have to go through security then up to the lounges. You would have to clear security again in Terminal 2. Also I've heard that the experience taking the bus to T2 is not the most efficient so leave enough time for that.
Metanoia and sdfl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.