Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Cost Saving - Red or White in Business Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

As we all know EK introduced quite some cost saving measures this year,many affecting crews as well, such as reduction of crew on board, reduction of layover time and finacial cuts, while elimination of small wine bottles and others are affecting eco pax . Now there seems to be another assault on their C product imminent. I always enjoyed my wine tastings on board, having the choice of at least 2 reds and 2 whites (actually, I remember many tastings with 3 reds and 3 whites..or was this on my QR flights only?). Checking now the C menues for November flights it lists just one red and and one white, while the F list is still impressive. Is this a mistake in the display or are they really getting this low? Even Lufthansa does better, not even to mention QR. And what would be next then? Beef or chicken in business class?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Just flew MRU-MAN a week ago and had a choice of 2 reds and 2 whites as normal.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Haven't felt much cost cutting in the pax experience and to some the big bottles in Y might mean better quality wines Vs the small bottles. And they introduced higher quality glasses in Y now.
Neiltoo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:12 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
The on-line wine lists for J don’t seem to reflect the total choice available on board. I have always seen a choice of at least 2 reds and 2 whites without ‘what’s on your flight ‘ showing this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:15 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Haven't felt much cost cutting in the pax experience and to some the big bottles in Y might mean better quality wines Vs the small bottles. And they introduced higher quality glasses in Y now.
Come on, skywardhunter, they still are plastic cups. Maybe slightly nicer plastic cups, but plastic cups nonetheless.

I have an environmental aversion to single use plastics.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh

Come on, skywardhunter, they still are plastic cups. Maybe slightly nicer plastic cups, but plastic cups nonetheless.

I have an environmental aversion to single use plastics.
Well they're not going to hand you the 2L water bottle... But yes don't worry I drink my Tigers straight from the can

There've been many changes in the service in the past year, some positive and some negative. On a balance of argue that while EK may be optimizing costs I don't think it has negatively impacted Paz experience, certainly not massively. I had two glasses of lovely 13 and 14 year old French wines in the J lounge this morning between Y flights, that's about 10% of my ticket cost back already (well if I'd had an entire bottle), the lounge food offerings which used to be less diverse have improved, though the menu doesn't change often enough, and the ice cream carts are great. I'm indifferent to the wine bottles in Y. Having your own is nice and more premium but I do think the large bottles allow a broader variety to be sourced. No warm or cold refreshing towels in Y but rather pre packaged refreshing "towels" (wipes), I wouldn't have noticed their absence were it not for the flimsy replacements. Better beer and booze choices, incl in Y, from start of this year which I've been thoroughly enjoying
​​
thijsseh likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by homer3152
As we all know EK introduced quite some cost saving measures this year,many affecting crews as well, such as reduction of crew on board, reduction of layover time and finacial cuts, while elimination of small wine bottles and others are affecting eco pax . Now there seems to be another assault on their C product imminent. I always enjoyed my wine tastings on board, having the choice of at least 2 reds and 2 whites (actually, I remember many tastings with 3 reds and 3 whites..or was this on my QR flights only?). Checking now the C menues for November flights it lists just one red and and one white, while the F list is still impressive. Is this a mistake in the display or are they really getting this low? Even Lufthansa does better, not even to mention QR. And what would be next then? Beef or chicken in business class?
So this rant is based on something you haven't actually experienced or confirmed yet?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by homer3152
The wine list on emirates.com is only semi accurate. I have been on flights where the website is missing all the reds or all the whites or has two whites and one red, etc. but when I arrive it’s two and two. And sometimes it’s a totally different set of wine on the printed list.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia

The wine list on emirates.com is only semi accurate. I have been on flights where the website is missing all the reds or all the whites or has two whites and one red, etc. but when I arrive it’s two and two. And sometimes it’s a totally different set of wine on the printed list.
If you check within the last few days before the flights, it seems very accurate. I see the list changes drastically during the months leading up to the flight.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

If you check within the last few days before the flights, it seems very accurate. I see the list changes drastically during the months leading up to the flight.
Hope you’re right. My next flight went from having Veuve Cliquot XO Extra Brut in J back to yellow label - but if I had traveled a few days earlier it’d be on. This is a bottling I’ve never had or seen before so was excited about it, so I’m hoping they can make it last a few more days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.