Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Smile Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Hello All,

I'm an avid reader of different posts here on Flyertalk but I made this account to specifically ask a question relating to upgrading from Emirates (Blue Member) Business (business saver one way, return business flex) upgrade to First class.

I'm flying in the month of July on Emirates from YYZ to DXB and onto another final city on a business saver ticket. The cost difference between the business saver and first saver was about ~$1200 CAD one way. However, for the flight back from DXB to YYZ it was a difference of about $800-900 (business flex to first saver).

I called Emirates, and the agent told me that you can pay the regular price to upgrade it, however, the best option is to wait for an email closer to your departure which would provide a "promotional" pricing to effectively pay half that cost (so around $400-500) for the upgrade.

The agent, who said he has been working for several years, has rarely seen airport upgrades from Business to First. So my first question - is this true? What are the chances of an upgrade at a cheaper cost at the airport vs. over the phone (full price)?

Secondly, the agent told me that I can ask for a "complimentary upgrade" at YYZ or DXB, but I personally feel as if this question has been asked several times from passengers.

Nonetheless, if anyone could provide some clarity into all this I would appreciate it!
Old May 27, 2018, 2:53 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by flyer_sam
Hello All,

I'm an avid reader of different posts here on Flyertalk but I made this account to specifically ask a question relating to upgrading from Emirates (Blue Member) Business (business saver one way, return business flex) upgrade to First class.

I'm flying in the month of July on Emirates from YYZ to DXB and onto another final city on a business saver ticket. The cost difference between the business saver and first saver was about ~$1200 CAD one way. However, for the flight back from DXB to YYZ it was a difference of about $800-900 (business flex to first saver).

I called Emirates, and the agent told me that you can pay the regular price to upgrade it, however, the best option is to wait for an email closer to your departure which would provide a "promotional" pricing to effectively pay half that cost (so around $400-500) for the upgrade.

The agent, who said he has been working for several years, has rarely seen airport upgrades from Business to First. So my first question - is this true? What are the chances of an upgrade at a cheaper cost at the airport vs. over the phone (full price)?

Secondly, the agent told me that I can ask for a "complimentary upgrade" at YYZ or DXB, but I personally feel as if this question has been asked several times from passengers.

Nonetheless, if anyone could provide some clarity into all this I would appreciate it!
Hello there and welcome to Flyer Talk and the Emirates forum!

I am sorry that I can’t give you good news here, as much as I would like to!
My first reaction was that this agent is not as knowledgeable as he / she ought to be!

Whilst email upgrade offers are not unusual ( but by no means certain!) for Y to J, I have never had such an offer from J to F. I’m not saying it does not happen, but it would appear very unlikely.
As far as ‘cheaper upgrade offers’ at the airport are concerned: same story. No record of this happening.

And finally ‘complimentary ‘ upgrades. You can ask for one, but you won’t get one. Free upgrades are given when a cabin is fully booked (so called ‘operational upgrades’). And not to those who ask for them, but they are allocated by a computer in Dubai according to rules which use ticket type and status as inputs. As a blue member with a Saver (or even a Flex) ticket you will be quite far down the list, but it’s not actually impossible.

The usual advice applies: if you really want to fly F, the best way to achieve it is to pay for it! The ‘J Flex to F Saver route is often a very attractive option which I have used myself a few times and have never been sorry to do so.

Old May 27, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Welcome to the world of Emirates.

As pointed out the agent wasn't quite right.

There have been no reports of e-mail Upgrade offers for J-F, they are relatively frequent for Y-J however. They have their own fare bucket (P) and no such fare bucket exists in F.

Airport Upgrades at a discount do not exist with Emirates. They will charge you the full fare difference.

Your only real option is to pay. Complimentary upgrades as pointed out follow a strict priority ordering, you're probably about mid-way down, just because you actually signed up to Skywards and many wouldn't have, and any award ticket would be below you, too. Any flex or flex plus ticket and anyone silver or above would be ahead of you however.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:53 am

Now I haven't come across an email for J-->F upgrade offer, I have noted in a post that the T&Cs make sound like it could be possible:

"
  • Chauffeur-drive service is not applicable to flights upgraded from Economy Class to Business Class with this offer.
  • Where upgrades from Business Class to First Class are purchased, individuals will be eligible for the Chauffeur-drive service offered for the original Business Class ticket purchased." Post 106 Upgrade emails offers FAQ
I would be inclined to say it may be possible that an upgrade email does occur although not frequently. I was planning on waiting on the upgrade email for my last trip but for completely certainty opted to pay the Ł300 (over and above the email upgrade price) to secure my J seat, miles and lounge access.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reply. Bass on the replies, it does seem that the pay (fare difference) is the only choice.

Does anyone know if Emirates would be kind enough to allow me to change my J flex to F saver fare without a “penalty” of fee to pay? I would be opening to paying the difference which is about $800 CAD, but only if I don’t have to pay a change fee. Any ideas?
Old May 27, 2018, 9:16 am

Thank you all for the reply. Bass on the replies, it does seem that the pay (fare difference) is the only choice.

Does anyone know if Emirates would be kind enough to allow me to change my J flex to F saver fare without a “penalty” of fee to pay? I would be opening to paying the difference which is about $800 CAD, but only if I don’t have to pay a change fee. Any ideas?
Indeed they will, I believe it is written in the fares rules that they will remove the change fee when upgrading. I have done this a few times, you will need to call Emirates and tell them that you want to upgrade and request they remove the fee. I have only had a problem once but I reminded the employee it is written into the fare-class that the fee will be removed when upgrading and they complied.
sydtogla likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:26 am

Yes change fees are waived for cabin class upgrade
Old May 27, 2018, 11:04 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not sure how true this info is since I’ve never flown EK to Toronto, but I’ve heard that loads in F and J are usually quite full on most flights Bc the route runs only 3x a week. So I wouldn’t wait til the airport to try and upgrade, if you want to be in F, pay the fare difference ASAP so you’re confirmed in the cabin you want.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone with the tips and information. Based on the route (DCB-YYZ), a roughly 13-14 hr flight, do you all honestly think it’s worth the additional $900 upgrade? I’ve read in a few threads that the seats are tighter (not that I’m a big person or anything), but the upgrade is mainly in terms of service. I am sitting in 9K (first half of business, window), so can anyone tell me if it’s really worth it?
Old May 27, 2018, 12:17 pm

Thanks to everyone with the tips and information. Based on the route (DCB-YYZ), a roughly 13-14 hr flight, do you all honestly think it’s worth the additional $900 upgrade? I’ve read in a few threads that the seats are tighter (not that I’m a big person or anything), but the upgrade is mainly in terms of service. I am sitting in 9K (first half of business, window), so can anyone tell me if it’s really worth it?
Only you can decide that but for only Ł520 more I would jump at it especially for such a long flight! The shower will be nice and refreshing come the morning. It is unfortunate that you will miss out on the first class lounge dubai though. In-flight, you will have your own cabin and I assume the crew will be another step above the wonderful J staff.

The way I look at it is, if the extra Ł520 will have no material impact on your day to day life then go for it- you need enjoy these things which we are all fortunate enough to afford!
thijsseh and offtothehills like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by F10GLA
Only you can decide that but for only Ł520 more I would jump at it especially for such a long flight! The shower will be nice and refreshing come the morning. It is unfortunate that you will miss out on the first class lounge dubai though. In-flight, you will have your own cabin and I assume the crew will be another step above the wonderful J staff.

The way I look at it is, if the extra Ł520 will have no material impact on your day to day life then go for it- you need enjoy these things which we are all fortunate enough to afford!
I think OP is talking about upgrading DXB-YYZ, so would get F lounge
Old May 27, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes, as the last member mentioned, this will be from DXB-YYZ, so I believe that I'll have access to the F lounge. One last question - I read on several forums that the first class breakfast/lunch is not that great and only their dinner is different then J class. I'm also aware that the menu is the same on J and F, just a bit more "fancier" if you'd like to call it on F class in terms of presentation. Can anyone confirm if the breakfast/lunch is mediocre?

Also, have any of the members here noticed a substantial difference between the level of service between J and F class? Some people say the J class service is quite robotic not that great, while others say great things, so I'm a bit confused!

P.S.: this is my first J class flight on Emirates, I've previously used Etihad J class but they only flew 777 from YYZ so I know this will be a huge upgrade in terms of space and size!
Old May 27, 2018, 1:27 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Yes, as the last member mentioned, this will be from DXB-YYZ, so I believe that I'll have access to the F lounge. One last question - I read on several forums that the first class breakfast/lunch is not that great and only their dinner is different then J class. I'm also aware that the menu is the same on J and F, just a bit more "fancier" if you'd like to call it on F class in terms of presentation. Can anyone confirm if the breakfast/lunch is mediocre?

Also, have any of the members here noticed a substantial difference between the level of service between J and F class? Some people say the J class service is quite robotic not that great, while others say great things, so I'm a bit confused!

P.S.: this is my first J class flight on Emirates, I've previously used Etihad J class but they only flew 777 from YYZ so I know this will be a huge upgrade in terms of space and size!
In my opinion there is a very substantial difference in ‘level of service’. Whereas J is good, with up to 72 passengers in the A380 J cabin it is difficult to provide a personalised service although I have experienced crews who try really hard. In F there are a maximum of 14 passengers and that is noticeable in the service. Having said that, even in F there are differences between crews.
The difference in food is not as great. A few of the choices are the same in F and J, although the presentation in F is better. And in F there are one or two more options to choose from. There are always canapés and there is caviar.
The drinks, and - in my view - especially the wines are a world apart. Drinks in J are fine, but in F you can get top class wines (and Dom Perignon champagne, even the famed P2 if you are lucky). Also, if you are a cognac drinker there is the Hennessy Paradis (I personally don’t touch the stuff)
I would jump at a $900 upgrade for that sector, but it is and remains a personal choice, no matter how many FT opinions you collect.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I did see their drink menu, and I'm more of a gin fan and have noticed that F class gin variety is a little better than J class, but then again I guess once you are flying at 35-40K, gin might all taste the same!

You do have a good point about the cabin crew to passenger ration (72 vs 14, both in the case that that the cabins are full), and I can see why people assume that the service in J is quite robotic in nature...

You are right about this being a personal choice - I will have to think about this as it's not really a cost related thought but rather if the cost has beneficial value (besides the shower!).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the cigar room in the F class provides free cigars or do you have to bring your own?
Old May 27, 2018, 3:26 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I fly across the cabins usually on routes of this length. As first world as it sounds, First Class beds will actually deliver a 'proper sleep' in terms of comfort. J is great, and I can still get 7-10h in on those beds but the comfort of F is far superior. When coupled with the quieter cabin and privacy doors I could not let that kind of fare difference pass me by. Sadly I usually use miles for F since its so expensive ex-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.