EK414

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:24 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
EK414

Now this might sound like sour grapes (the grapes are fine on EK though) but.....

I’ve noticed the poor performance of EK414 as far as time keeping and cancellation rates. I’ve been offloaded twice and now some friends have experienced the same. Let me explain.

Many of the ex-EU flights that have high numbers bound for AU (EK162 DUB, EK28 GLA, EK36 NCL, EK18 MAN, EK16 LGW, EK2 LHR) and maybe others I’ve missed, all land less than 2h before EK414 wheels up. That means that negligible delays of 20-40m can actually lead to offloading, which I’ve experienced twice. This technically qualifies for EC261 comp if EK are willing to honour your claim after they lost in France. That’s a whole other thread, do digging if you feel you have a claim.

Add to that tight turnaround the curfew in SYD. Heavy fines for air traffic landing after 2300 and with the scheduled arrival of 2230 it’s tight. Most days EK414 leaves late but makes up the time. But a pilot friend has said it really can’t leave any later than 0225 on usual routes with good conditions and make it on time. This means that often 414 will fly with very reduced loads. Good for pax as far as service goes but very bad for business.

EK are introducing a third daily direct to SYD in March. I’m really hoping this will see the end of 414. I love that 414 gets me from the UK to SYD in 22h when it works, but it’s become very risky and it’s a big difference getting off the flight at 2230 to go to bed and getting off at 0700 to go to work.
diss50 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Now this might sound like sour grapes (the grapes are fine on EK though) but.....

I’ve noticed the poor performance of EK414 as far as time keeping and cancellation rates. I’ve been offloaded twice and now some friends have experienced the same. Let me explain.

Many of the ex-EU flights that have high numbers bound for AU (EK162 DUB, EK28 GLA, EK36 NCL, EK18 MAN, EK16 LGW, EK2 LHR) and maybe others I’ve missed, all land less than 2h before EK414 wheels up. That means that negligible delays of 20-40m can actually lead to offloading, which I’ve experienced twice. This technically qualifies for EC261 comp if EK are willing to honour your claim after they lost in France. That’s a whole other thread, do digging if you feel you have a claim.

Add to that tight turnaround the curfew in SYD. Heavy fines for air traffic landing after 2300 and with the scheduled arrival of 2230 it’s tight. Most days EK414 leaves late but makes up the time. But a pilot friend has said it really can’t leave any later than 0225 on usual routes with good conditions and make it on time. This means that often 414 will fly with very reduced loads. Good for pax as far as service goes but very bad for business.

EK are introducing a third daily direct to SYD in March. I’m really hoping this will see the end of 414. I love that 414 gets me from the UK to SYD in 22h when it works, but it’s become very risky and it’s a big difference getting off the flight at 2230 to go to bed and getting off at 0700 to go to work.
This is of interest to me as I will be flying to SYD a couple of times a year now. My one experience to date is different to this. Early boxing day morning we departed late with a full flight. I had mentioned this previously, overbooked in Y by 80, 40 people bagged Op-UPs. The Captain did mentioned the cut off time for landing in a polite way of telling every one to hurry up and sit down. The crew stated that if we didn't make the time up we would land in Melbourne?

The connections are tight though, EK18- EK414 giving 1 hour 30 mins and on my return even less, EK415 - EK003 was only 1 hour 5 minutes.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:54 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

What do you care? Thought you were going to the dark side that is QR?

S
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:43 pm

EK actually lost a EC261 claim in the UK on the same issue too so definitely something to pursue.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

I've now won one, lost one from this flight.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I've now won one, lost one from this flight.
€600 won?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:14 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Saltire74

€600 won?
No, I won back EUR450 on one which I had upgraded (Y Flex+ to J saver) and 25k miles. Not bad, but I had to escalate it with a lawyer's letter to get that. The second one is my Dec flight and they're not playing ball. Got a very IDGAF letter from EK Australia. Will probably have to do the same.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:25 pm
Moderator, Emirates

No, I won back EUR450 on one which I had upgraded (Y Flex+ to J saver) and 25k miles. Not bad, but I had to escalate it with a lawyer's letter to get that. The second one is my Dec flight and they're not playing ball. Got a very IDGAF letter from EK Australia. Will probably have to do the same.
Best of luck with that one.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
That EK 414 flight was frequently featured in the NatGeo Airport Dubai series, for all the reasons mentioned above... curfew, connections, offloading (queue dramatic music and stressed out flight controller)
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: EK Gold
Wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has had any recent experiences with the 414.

Next month I have a 1hr 15min connection time - arriving from CMB on EK655. Over the past month this flight has for the most part been on time or early, however always mindful that the smallest thing can result in a delay.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
It looks like the scheduled arrival time has been brought forward to 2205 at the moment (maybe a Southern Winter change) which gives them more buffer before the curfew.
Today's flight and the last week all look OK but as we're all aware things can happen on the day.

1hr 15min isn't a long connection - does EK gold get priority transit screening, or are you in a position where you're able to get off your inbound flight toward the front to get ahead of the queue?

EK414 also looks to have been flying from Concourse B lately so there's that to contend with as well (I've not had experience here but have been looking) - not sure how long that adds.

I'm flying on EK414 on Friday and it'll be my first proper EK longhaul (originating in FCO on EK98, so have nearly 3hrs to connect). Hope your connection goes well.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
It looks like the scheduled arrival time has been brought forward to 2205 at the moment (maybe a Southern Winter change) which gives them more buffer before the curfew.
Today's flight and the last week all look OK but as we're all aware things can happen on the day.

1hr 15min isn't a long connection - does EK gold get priority transit screening, or are you in a position where you're able to get off your inbound flight toward the front to get ahead of the queue?

EK414 also looks to have been flying from Concourse B lately so there's that to contend with as well (I've not had experience here but have been looking) - not sure how long that adds.

I'm flying on EK414 on Friday and it'll be my first proper EK longhaul (originating in FCO on EK98, so have nearly 3hrs to connect). Hope your connection goes well.
I checked with both call centre and a friend in EK ops, and 1.15 is the shortest connection EK will now do. I'm flying in paid F - so will be first off the plane with priority connection. My only concern with the arriving flight (apart from any departure or in-air delays) is that I get a remote stand which can easily add on 20-45 mins connection time.

Enjoy your flight!
pythonisman likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by nmc980
I checked with both call centre and a friend in EK ops, and 1.15 is the shortest connection EK will now do. I'm flying in paid F - so will be first off the plane with priority connection. My only concern with the arriving flight (apart from any departure or in-air delays) is that I get a remote stand which can easily add on 20-45 mins connection time.

Enjoy your flight!
I regularly fly with a short connection and whether or not I get my second flight is down to EK - a decision made before I have even landed. Where I sit on the plane and how long it takes me to get off is pretty much irrelevant.

During these short connections I have had emails telling me I have been placed on different flights. On one occasion I was informed via email I had been changed flights but then on landing there was someone there to take me straight to my original connection.

Also I have made three short connections this year but my bags didnt. Two occasions none of my bags made it and one occasion one bad made it and one didn't.

In each circumstance there was always another flight about an hour later so it was not too painful, however, if you miss 414 when is the next flight?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Will08
I regularly fly with a short connection and whether or not I get my second flight is down to EK - a decision made before I have even landed. Where I sit on the plane and how long it takes me to get off is pretty much irrelevant.

During these short connections I have had emails telling me I have been placed on different flights. On one occasion I was informed via email I had been changed flights but then on landing there was someone there to take me straight to my original connection.

Also I have made three short connections this year but my bags didnt. Two occasions none of my bags made it and one occasion one bad made it and one didn't.

In each circumstance there was always another flight about an hour later so it was not too painful, however, if you miss 414 when is the next flight?

This is the first time I've flown with such a short connection - so am playing around with several scenarios (and will be packing a spare set of clothes should my bags not make it)

Unfortunately the next flight is 8 hours later (EK 412 - dept 10.15am) - so will no doubt be off to the airport hotel if I miss the connection. Out of interests sake, will EK provide me a room airside should I miss the 414?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by nmc980
This is the first time I've flown with such a short connection - so am playing around with several scenarios (and will be packing a spare set of clothes should my bags not make it)

Unfortunately the next flight is 8 hours later (EK 412 - dept 10.15am) - so will no doubt be off to the airport hotel if I miss the connection. Out of interests sake, will EK provide me a room airside should I miss the 414?
Not sure if they provide airside hotels but you'll at least get offered the dubai connect hotels. Due to the restrictions in SYD I think status and even class of travel go out of the window when deciding on offloads for this particular flight, whereas in other cases they may have the flexibility to hold the flight.

1 hour 15 is also not the shortest connection time, EK10 to EK370 is 1 hour 10 minutes, someone may even find a 1 hour 5..

Last edited by Will08; Jul 31, 2019 at 10:04 am Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.