The EK Wine Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Marketing budgets aside... EK are serving a 54 year old port in F. That is remarkable.

Also hearing that vintage Champagne in J is a world first unless you are hanging on to a friendly F traveller in the 388 lounge.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Do you reckon they'll get the P2 on BA? Something smells fishy to me... and it's not one of their B747s.
No chance - EK is Moet's (well LVMH's) major marketing partner.

P2 is only on EK to:

1) move product
2) marketing

EK get a hefty, hefty discount. Well, not discount per se, I think more "rebate" (buy a pallet, we'll give you a case free)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Marketing budgets aside... EK are serving a 54 year old port in F. That is remarkable.

Also hearing that vintage Champagne in J is a world first unless you are hanging on to a friendly F traveller in the 388 lounge.
Veuve is another LVMH brand

BR served Dom Perignon which is always vintage, in J for a while. It is now Veuve La Grande Dame 2006.

As for port, an old vintage is great and I hope to see more Symington products on board - their Chryseia red wine is exceptional. Hopefully EK can point to their LVMH partnership and nudge them to join in!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
No chance - EK is Moet's (well LVMH's) major marketing partner.

P2 is only on EK to:

1) move product
2) marketing

EK get a hefty, hefty discount. Well, not discount per se, I think more "rebate" (buy a pallet, we'll give you a case free)
I agree - no way. They may get Krug or the 2009 DP but EK is tied up with them.

EK's buying power helps me - I got a great deal from MMI on 12 bottles of Cos D'estournel 2016.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I agree - no way. They may get Krug or the 2009 DP but EK is tied up with them.

EK's buying power helps me - I got a great deal from MMI on 12 bottles of Cos D'estournel 2016.
Krug, another LVMH brand! I think it'll be available if BA want to pay wholesale, but I think all the LVMH halo products will stay with EK.

How much for a case of Cos 2016 at MMI? And, where are you going to keep it!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: EK Gold
By far my favourite from just over a year ago in F was the 2003 Chateau Certan de May de Certan, Pomerol. Amazing!

I also do really quite like the 2006 Vintage Moet served in the B J Champagne Lounge.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Krug, another LVMH brand! I think it'll be available if BA want to pay wholesale, but I think all the LVMH halo products will stay with EK.

How much for a case of Cos 2016 at MMI? And, where are you going to keep it!
Either in BBR or Fine and Rare. Also got Lynch Bages 16.

I'll mail you the price!

Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by nmc980
By far my favourite from just over a year ago in F was the 2003 Chateau Certan de May de Certan, Pomerol. Amazing!

I also do really quite like the 2006 Vintage Moet served in the B J Champagne Lounge.
I got gifted a bottle as you may recall!!!

And who doesn't like the BJ lounge? I've not been there in 2 years although with Plat vastly looking like disappearing I may have to settle for Moet and the B J.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: EK Gold
I got gifted a bottle as you may recall!!!

And who doesn't like the BJ lounge? I've not been there in 2 years although with Plat vastly looking like disappearing I may have to settle for Moet and the B J.
Yeah - very jealous of that! I had to track down the last 2 x bottles in Australia and buy them at auction. Ha!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
I'm personally loving the light italian red in J class - Toscana Crognolo 2012 - very easy to drink!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Kapcsandy Estate Cuvee (forget the year) Napa Valley... this was insane. Most of their other wines are completely unaffordable. DXB-SFO vv in J, May, probably only for 3 weeks.

2007 Langoa Barton DXB-SFO v/v November-January in J. It was an off year in Bordeaux but this was still awesome... I don't particularly like this chateau in more ripe years (05/09/10) but this was great... maybe the altitude?

Of course, Dom 2006 in F is amazing, almost too intense at altitude with the white floral notes as well as the savory mushroom/red fruit. I actually prefer the NV Moet or Veuve to drink several glasses of...

Cos 2004 in F... had this in the F lounge but at altitude it was a bit tough.

Last edited by Metanoia; Aug 2, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Kapcsandy Estate Cuvee (forget the year) Napa Valley... this was insane. Most of their other wines are completely unaffordable. DXB-SFO vv in J, May, probably only for 3 weeks.

2007 Langoa Barton DXB-SFO v/v November-January in J. It was an off year in Bordeaux but this was still awesome... I don't particularly like this chateau in more ripe years (05/09/10) but this was great... maybe the altitude?

Of course, Dom 2006 in F is amazing, almost too intense at altitude with the white floral notes as well as the savory mushroom/red fruit. I actually prefer the NV Moet or Veuve to drink several glasses of...
I actually buy quite a lot of wines I have on board - each to their own but I don't mind spending on red wine and vintage champagne.

Looking forward to the 2009 Dom being on board soon.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:17 am

I actually buy quite a lot of wines I have on board - each to their own but I don't mind spending on red wine and vintage champagne.

Looking forward to the 2009 Dom being on board soon.
I do as well if they're available locally. The wine store I go to (klwines.com) tends to have almost everything EK has but the Kapcsandy single-vineyards were a bit much for me - and it's impossible to get into their winery for a tasting (not to mention $150 to sit for the tasting!). I tend to prefer lesser known producers who have excellent quality (a ton of vintage grower champagne!) but much lower prices, of which K&L has a ton of!

I think that EK can potentially push beyond the blingy brand names, grand marques and 1er cru classe etc etc, and highlight smaller producers such as Kapcsandy that are seriously amazing, still luxe, but perhaps not as well-known.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I do as well if they're available locally. The wine store I go to (klwines.com) tends to have almost everything EK has but the Kapcsandy single-vineyards were a bit much for me - and it's impossible to get into their winery for a tasting (not to mention $150 to sit for the tasting!). I tend to prefer lesser known producers who have excellent quality (a ton of vintage grower champagne!) but much lower prices, of which K&L has a ton of!

I think that EK can potentially push beyond the blingy brand names, grand marques and 1er cru classe etc etc, and highlight smaller producers such as Kapcsandy that are seriously amazing, still luxe, but perhaps not as well-known.
The problem is they need quantity - I've been loving the Mascot on board recently by the Harlan estate well Amanda Harlan (daughter of Bill Harlan). Other memorable favourites were Montebello by Ridge wines ^
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:53 am

The problem is they need quantity - I've been loving the Mascot on board recently by the Harlan estate well Amanda Harlan (daughter of Bill Harlan). Other memorable favourites were Montebello by Ridge wines ^
If it were quantity then the Kapcsandy wouldn't have been around... If the website were actually accurate it would be fun to scrape the website for all routes and see what's being served everywhere

What year of Montebello did they serve? And what route was it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.