Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OnAir not really working

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Seat54
I'm back on Emirates soon, anybody want to comment about wifi speed these days on the 380, has it improved ?

I remember doing a FaceTime call on it at the start, last time it was struggling with emails. It teases you with the header and then you wait and wait and finally the one sentence appears.
I flew EK029 on Monday, totally unusable after logging in, spent 25 minutes waiting for pages to load then gave up.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Will08
I flew EK029 on Monday, totally unusable after logging in, spent 25 minutes waiting for pages to load then gave up.
Yes - that was pretty much my experience on 3 recent A380 sectors.

I couldn't get to the log in screen on the 777 sector. They eventually switched it off, so you couldn't even see the network.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes - that was pretty much my experience on 3 recent A380 sectors.

I couldn't get to the log in screen on the 777 sector. They eventually switched it off, so you couldn't even see the network.
Must be frustrating for those that actually pay for it.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
I'm back on Emirates soon, anybody want to comment about wifi speed these days on the 380, has it improved ?

I remember doing a FaceTime call on it at the start, last time it was struggling with emails. It teases you with the header and then you wait and wait and finally the one sentence appears.
Was on 2 different A380 routes in the last 2 weeks, worked just fine. A bit patchy here and there, but for the most part was alright. Both were nearly full flights, so lots of people logged in as soon as it came online. I think if you stick to simple usage, like texting on iMessage/whatsapp etc, you'll be fine.

The 777 OnAir system also worked fine.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by Will08
Pretty much the same experience here, mostly unusable with the new “pricing” structure.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:00 am

I thought given the recent comments, a report from "the field" would be helpful.
EK773 (CPT-Dubai B777) Skyward Silver, free wi-fi for the full flight. Perfectly unable (currently posting from onboard!).
You aren't going to be steaming movies, but perfect for social media and Whatsapp etc. Not having a time limit on the connect is also pretty great!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
Perfectly unable (currently posting from onboard!)
Very helpful!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Very helpful!
*usable
I blame the slow wifi and the G&Ts.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
On A6-EDJ a lovely 11 year old A380. Going to try the WiFi today on the LHR-DXB sector and see whether it's any better than the usual slowness.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Very helpful!
On A6-EDJ a lovely 11 year old A380. Going to try the WiFi today on the LHR-DXB sector and see whether it's any better than the usual slowness.
Does EK do returns on the same plane out of dubai? If yes, I think you are bringing my flight from DXB-LHR in for me. Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
Does EK do returns on the same plane out of dubai? If yes, I think you are bringing my flight from DXB-LHR in for me. Thanks!
Not generally, it may happen coincidentally
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
In the past this flight had a habit of going back to LHR in the morning. But that was a long time ago. Anyway WiFi working getting up to 11k/s which makes this and social apps quite acceptable. Even email not bad. Although they just reset it over turkey. There does seem to be some improvements since the change to the policy however only 130 down in Y and 63 in J so it's a relaxed flight.

Going off topic the food was meh ! And the greasy chicken sandwich was acceptably solid and inedible.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:02 am

Working perfectly now on 773 (CPT-DXB)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.