Wiki Posts
Search

OnAir not really working

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
WiFi working fine on EK773 right now (777), usual speeds
Old May 29, 2017, 11:37 am

I usually find the service poor to unusable now and generally pretty frustrating. When the service first appeared it was $20 for 100MB:
Departure/Destination: DXB to CDG
Date of purchase: 20 August 2013 GMT
Name: 217usera
Payment method: VISA ************
Product purchased:
100 MB Internet OnAir
Access fee: US $20.00
Total Invoice amount: US $20.00
My recollection is that it used to be quite good when it was relatively expensive.

I'd definitely pay $20 again if the service was reliable (although I do claim it as a business expense anyway so the cost is not such a huge issue for me).

Heading East it's really annoying to lose the service over all of India also, was there some talk of them relaxing this?
Old May 29, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by 217usera
I usually find the service poor to unusable now and generally pretty frustrating. When the service first appeared it was $20 for 100MB:
Departure/Destination: DXB to CDG
Date of purchase: 20 August 2013 GMT
Name: 217usera
Payment method: VISA ************
Product purchased:
100 MB Internet OnAir
Access fee: US $20.00
Total Invoice amount: US $20.00
My recollection is that it used to be quite good when it was relatively expensive.

I'd definitely pay $20 again if the service was reliable (although I do claim it as a business expense anyway so the cost is not such a huge issue for me).

Heading East it's really annoying to lose the service over all of India also, was there some talk of them relaxing this?
I've been using the WiFi for a solid 7hrs straight so far this flight on both Laptop and mobile and quite happy with the speeds. Re India it's an issue with the Indian DGCA, good luck with that.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
What a bizarre suggestion. I travel mostly in Y and the Wifi is a vital lifeline to the outside world for me on ULH flights when I need to be in touch with my employees, regardless of me being in Y
On the other hand, some people - like me - use air travel as an excuse to be completely cut off from reality.
So, please, don't advertise that on-air wifi gets cheap !
Old May 30, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by chelseastu
Ok. That's good to know, I wondered whether it was a ploy to get people to pay for it.

Maybe it should be accessed by Biz and F only though how you implement that, I've no idea.
I've noticed they actually do this very thing.
On some recent 777 trips, there was no wifi available in Y but there was in business class, all on planes less than 3 years old as well.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by chris19992
I've noticed they actually do this very thing.
On some recent 777 trips, there was no wifi available in Y but there was in business class, all on planes less than 3 years old as well.
?? And how would that be possible? You can't control the precise end of a WiFi network's range.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:31 am

?? And how would that be possible? You can't control the precise end of a WiFi network's range.
No but you can limit with passwords and hidden SSID's.
I attached a screenshot from my phone, taken within the opensignal app which scans all SSID's, as you can see they are all assigned to a specific seat.

Last edited by chris19992; May 31, 2017 at 2:50 am
Old May 31, 2017, 2:42 am

No but you can limit with passwords and hidden SSID's.
I attached a screenshot from my phone, taken within the opensignal app which scans all SSID's, as you can see they are all assigned to a specific seat.
That's not the wifi for pax, those are the wifi networks used by the wireless tablet controllers for the J and F seats.

Wifi has always been called OnAir and available to all. Do you think they go around explaining to all J and F pax how to setup a wifi connection to a hidden SSID, how exactly to spell the SSID and give them each individual passwords?

Older planes have wired controllers, so it makes sense that you saw this on newer planes only.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:53 am

That's not the wifi for pax, those are the wifi networks used by the wireless tablet controllers for the J and F seats.

Wifi has always been called OnAir and available to all. Do you think they go around explaining to all J and F pax how to setup a wifi connection to a hidden SSID, how exactly to spell the SSID and give them each individual passwords?

Older planes have wired controllers, so it makes sense that you saw this on newer planes only.
Well, don't I feel like an idiot now lol.
However I do wonder why on the new 777's there is no WiFi.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:09 am

Well, don't I feel like an idiot now lol.
However I do wonder why on the new 777's there is no WiFi.
Because it's retrofitted by a third party installer, which is why older 777s actually more reliably have Wifi available
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
I see rumor's that they are revamping the WiFi program, I certainly hope it works better then. I guess I will know on the 23rd!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:55 am

A new Onair pricing structure was on my flight yesterday. Now 20 MB for free, 150 MB $9.99 and the usual 500 MB now costs $15.99! No thanks....
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I'm on a flight now in Y and was asked to submit my skywards number and password when connecting to OnAir. It then said I have unlimited wifi for the whole flight as a skywards member! No payment made.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
That's great news! The prediction was that only skywards members in premium cabins would have access to free wifi. Woohoo!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by vytas315
That's great news! The prediction was that only skywards members in premium cabins would have access to free wifi. Woohoo!
As Gold in Y when I logged in yesterday I only got 20MB free on EK525, then no WiFi on EK55 after that . Will see next week when I fly again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.