FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Print Wikipost

Transiting through DXB

Old May 31, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Transiting through DXB

Hello All,

I am booking a flight and looking at my return from Cape Town to Bangkok I would like to stop in Dubai to pick up some goods at the Souk, i am looking at the 15 hour transit which I can book online.

I called EK this morning to check if indeed I can leave the Airport and was told that I have 3 options

1) Book CPT - DXB and then a separate ticket from DXB - BKK (collect bags and then recheck in)
2) Book the 15 hour transit on the EK site and "request at immigration if i can leave the airport"
3) Book 1 night in a hotel

Just wondering if any fellow EK passengers have had any issue leaving the Airport within this long transit time? My flight arrives at 0730 and will depart 2230 which is perfect for my needs. Finally if this is indeed no problem EK will also store my luggage for that time in transit?

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by ekgoldmember
Hello All,

I am booking a flight and looking at my return from Cape Town to Bangkok I would like to stop in Dubai to pick up some goods at the Souk, i am looking at the 15 hour transit which I can book online.

I called EK this morning to check if indeed I can leave the Airport and was told that I have 3 options

1) Book CPT - DXB and then a separate ticket from DXB - BKK (collect bags and then recheck in)
2) Book the 15 hour transit on the EK site and "request at immigration if i can leave the airport"
3) Book 1 night in a hotel

Just wondering if any fellow EK passengers have had any issue leaving the Airport within this long transit time? My flight arrives at 0730 and will depart 2230 which is perfect for my needs. Finally if this is indeed no problem EK will also store my luggage for that time in transit?

Thanks!
Hi

no problem at all! you can leave the airport, baggage will be checked through to Bangkok (otherwise you have to request it during check-in in CPT). Just keep in mind that you may need a Visa for DXB, that's all. no need to book a hotel nor separate ticket
Old May 31, 2016, 2:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It is no problem assuming you are eligible for immigration entry.

You should be able to have your luggage checked through, you will either need to take your hand luggage with you or find a left luggage store.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by nux
It is no problem assuming you are eligible for immigration entry.

You should be able to have your luggage checked through, you will either need to take your hand luggage with you or find a left luggage store.
There is a T3 Baggage office which is at the far end of arrivals near the taxi queues/DNRD office that will let you store baggage.

I do this quite often - 15 hour layovers are no problem at all.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The more questions you ask upon arrival the more difficult you might make it. Just leave the airport as if Dubai was your destination. Return to the airport as you normally would to catch a flight.

No unique procedures upon arriva/exit at DXB
Old May 31, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
I've been in the lounge, had a sleep and then left the airport - bit more complicated but very doable.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:33 am

I've even been able to get an EK-sponsored transit visa (RSA passport) for a 20-hour layover before. No issues whatsoever.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: Skywards Blue/Silver
Connection times

Hi 2 weeks today I will flying on ek from Glasgow to Dubai the 21:30 evening flight and Wont arrive in Dubai till4-5am and my next flight is around 7-8am and my question is will I have enough time from departing the plane to get through security and catch my next flight also considering how long the queue is at security before I get to duty free also do uk inbound flight at Dubai land at remote stands or at t3 and will I have enough time for duty free as don't want to rush or have to get express transit
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:45 am

Absolutely no problem at all - you'll have loads of time for the connection.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by tmckinnin
Hi 2 weeks today I will flying on ek from Glasgow to Dubai the 21:30 evening flight and Wont arrive in Dubai till4-5am and my next flight is around 7-8am and my question is will I have enough time from departing the plane to get through security and catch my next flight also considering how long the queue is at security before I get to duty free also do uk inbound flight at Dubai land at remote stands or at t3 and will I have enough time for duty free as don't want to rush or have to get express transit
Are you sure ?
EK026 is supposed to land at 07:55 local time.
I'd cross check if I were you.

As for your question, 1h30 transit time is short considering the risk of any inbound delay, terminal change and the 20min gate closure lead time for outbound flight.
More than 2h30 transit time is comfortable.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Connecting at DXB Emirates T3 to Oman Air T1

I am arriving into Dubai T3 from LGW travelling in J, and have an onward flight with Oman Air from T1, which is on a different PNR. What is the process for this transfer as I will not have a boarding pass for the Oman Air flight and I will have to pick up my luggage. Is there an Airport Transfer system between Terminals or will I have to take a taxi? How long should I allow to safely make the connection.

Grateful for any guidance received - thanks
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Transiting through DXB

Evening all from a busy DXB,

I've got a 5 hour connection on Thursday morning, in between EK405 (SIN-DXB) and EK29 (DXB-LHR).

I land at 04:40, and depart at 09:50.

What would regular EKers recommend doing for the 5 hours?

Is it worth me leaving the airport for anything?

Thanks in advance,

M
stuwilky likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Too early for anything meaningful. Depending on your sense of adventure I'd do a champagne breakfast at somewhere like One and Only.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Somewhat awkward time of day, but always worth the effort to see something new/different during lengthy transits IMO.

Maybe a scenic spot* to watch dawn coming up with the Arabian sun .... ?

* Residents of DXB (or those who visit more often than I do) might offer suggestions.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Evening all from a busy DXB,

I've got a 5 hour connection on Thursday morning, in between EK405 (SIN-DXB) and EK29 (DXB-LHR).

I land at 04:40, and depart at 09:50.

What would regular EKers recommend doing for the 5 hours?

Is it worth me leaving the airport for anything?

Thanks in advance,

M
I'd stay in the airport.

It's currently Ramadan (no food and drink in public airport excluded) and it's about 40 degrees. Also Thursday is the last day of the school holidays so flights should be getting busier. Simply not worth it for that duration at the time of day and year.

I'll be on ek404 on Thursday leaving at 9.25 so I'll be in what ever first lounge the flight gives from if you want to have breakfast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.