FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Print Wikipost

Transiting through DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wes
Thanks, will book the Meet and Greet service.
Be aware that some, if not all, of the pay in lounges have a time limit of around 4 hours.

The other option would be to book a night at the airside hotel. A bit pricey, but we'll worth it.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Whilst I don't have the most experience of transiting in DXB (especially travelling with a 9 year old), there are a few things I always consider, regardless of airport and what to do to kill time.

You don't say what class you are travelling but given your questions, I think it's safe to assume Y.

Your transit time will be eaten into quite a bit after a few factors. If travelling Y, factor in the time to deplane, clear security and get to whichever concourse your next flight departs from. Given that your arrival time is during a busy period, your first hour could very easily be used up. If it was only you travelling, then you would porbably do this in less time but could well easily be a bit slower because you have your child with you.

Taking in to consideration the possible transfer time, I would look at using a pay in lounge if you don't have EK Lounge access. As DYKWIA says, these are usually payable for 4 hours. If you go for that option, you have then used the best part of 5 hours.

The gate for your next flight will be open at least an hour before your next flight which also gives you both time to explore the terminal/duty free and then onwards to your boarding gate without rushing or too much pressure.

Personally, I would not bother with the airside hotel but your needs may outweigh the cost and benefit especially with a child in tow, but 7 hours could go past fairly quickly.

T minus 7-6: Deplane, transit security and onwards to next concourse.
T minus 6-2: Pay in lounge, relax, eat, freshen up
T minus 2-1: Explore duty free
T minus 1: Go to gate.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ft101
No guarantee of either of them being at Concourse A. A380s also use Concourses B and C (as well as occasionally remote parking).
We did indeed land at Concourse C, but the security line was woeful, so I walked to Concourse B where there was no queue.

My flight to London departs from Concourse A, but I'm rationing my time so currently in the Concourse B J Lounge...I've been in worse, but it's wholly different to the serenity of the Concourse A Lounge.

OT - there are bird noises in the lounge. Are these real birds or are they simply pipped in to make it feel like you're outdoors?

Thanks all for the advice.

M
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
We did indeed land at Concourse C, but the security line was woeful, so I walked to Concourse B where there was no queue.

My flight to London departs from Concourse A, but I'm rationing my time so currently in the Concourse B J Lounge...I've been in worse, but it's wholly different to the serenity of the Concourse A Lounge.

OT - there are bird noises in the lounge. Are these real birds or are they simply pipped in to make it feel like you're outdoors?

Thanks all for the advice.

M
It is indeed the best lounge!

Safe flight home!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:13 am

There are birds in some (if not all) of the lounges/concourses. You see them flying around.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:19 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There are birds in some (if not all) of the lounges/concourses. You see them flying around.
Must look out for them on Saturday morning (assuming you're talking about the flying variety ).

S
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:38 am

That's where you've got me. Despite several transits, I still wouldn't be able to work out how to go between concourses without going through security.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:02 am

That's where you've got me. Despite several transits, I still wouldn't be able to work out how to go between concourses without going through security.
When there was only Concourse B & C, this used to happen a lot. I think there are 3 security checkpoints for transit passengers. There would be huge queues for one, but the others could be completely empty.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Glad there are birds in the BJ lounge
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by kuroko
Glad there are birds in the BJ lounge
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:24 am

You can walk between B and C, no problem.

To get from B to A without going through security first I will let you into the dnata WCHR secret and I will blame you all if when I do this again it's full of FT'ers

Go down the elevators to the immigration hall, then turn around and head up the elevators to the train - that train goes straight to Concourse A. Go up the elevators and you will find yourself outside the central Concourse A security screening area which is usually empty on one of the two sides.

You can do the reverse if going from A to B of course.

That said with the quite strict enforcement of the Fast Track security at Concourse B central security, it's a little better than before.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
We parked on Concourse C, directly adjacent to the Security Checkpoint.

As it was busy, the chap said to follow the signs for Arrivals, and eventually I would find another Security Checkpoint on Concourse B.

I did so, and duly found the checkpoint on Concourse B.

Quite an easy transit, and a relaxing layover once I moved to the F Lounge thanks to M3red (and the lovely Lounge Supervisor who allowed me to be guested in).

M
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I've never done it, but it's been described on here a few times. What you do is got through transit security and go to the lounge of your choice. Then retrace your steps back through transit security (making some excuse on the way presumably) and join the flow of arriving passengers to immigration.
I have done this before. Wanted to meet friends at DXB and did not want to wake them up at 0200 on a Friday morning. What you need to do is to clear transit security as usual and make your way to any of the lounges. Then when its time to exit the airport then walk back to transit security and go back in the reverse direction .

I am honest and I just say that I want to meet some friends who are waiting at arrivals for me and would like to go out as my next flight is only 8/10 hrs later.
They usually don't even ask for the boarding pass for the next flight and are not bothered as you have been in the sterile zone anyway.

All you the need to do is to go through the metal detector gates in the reverse direction and join the flow of pax going towards immigration and arrivals.

At immigration I was asked once why I did not exit the airport at arrival and I said that I didn't want to wake up friends/family in the middle of the night and that's why I decided to wait. I was complemented on being considerate to my family/friends!!!

PS: All these apply if you hold a passport which gives you visa on arrival at DXB. If you have a passport which needs a visa in advance I'm not sure if these will work.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I have done this before. Wanted to meet friends at DXB and did not want to wake them up at 0200 on a Friday morning. What you need to do is to clear transit security as usual and make your way to any of the lounges. Then when its time to exit the airport then walk back to transit security and go back in the reverse direction .

I am honest and I just say that I want to meet some friends who are waiting at arrivals for me and would like to go out as my next flight is only 8/10 hrs later.
They usually don't even ask for the boarding pass for the next flight and are not bothered as you have been in the sterile zone anyway.

All you the need to do is to go through the metal detector gates in the reverse direction and join the flow of pax going towards immigration and arrivals.

At immigration I was asked once why I did not exit the airport at arrival and I said that I didn't want to wake up friends/family in the middle of the night and that's why I decided to wait. I was complemented on being considerate to my family/friends!!!

PS: All these apply if you hold a passport which gives you visa on arrival at DXB. If you have a passport which needs a visa in advance I'm not sure if these will work.
Why wouldn't it work with a visa? As long as you have the visa.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Why wouldn't it work with a visa? As long as you have the visa.
They needed a minimum time (think it was 8hrs before the next flight) when I had an Indian passport (I also had a valid DXB transit visa). This was 5/6 years ago and I am not sure if rules have changed.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Jul 2, 2016 at 9:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.