Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates over rated?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:32 am

EK is completely overrated. Actually, overall a very average airline today - not good, not bad.

Especially Y-class is nothing to write home about (except for the ICE entertainment program). C still has "slippery slope" seats on their B777 fleet. F is very good, but so is competition.

In essence, Dubai has pulled off a fantastically successful marketing sting with Emirates - selling an image that does not exist in reality
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:43 am

Is Y class anything to write home about on any (global) airline though? Not sure if that is the yardstick with which to measure, considering the provision of things which I think most Y flyers value which is decent IFE, edible meals and crew who aren't surly.

J though I agree hard product is below the global expectation on average. Full flat product across the fleet would go a long way to solving it.

F is pretty good imho but due for a refresh.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I might be asking a provocative question and it appears I was. To answer several questions: our travels will be in May 2016. We will likely end up in economy, even though my wife swears she will never fly transoceanic in economy again. I may look to purchase with $ and upgrade with miles if I can do so. I have several 100K miles in both UA and DL, plus some with a credit card.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
EK is completely overrated. Actually, overall a very average airline today - not good, not bad.

Especially Y-class is nothing to write home about (except for the ICE entertainment program). C still has "slippery slope" seats on their B777 fleet. F is very good, but so is competition.

In essence, Dubai has pulled off a fantastically successful marketing sting with Emirates - selling an image that does not exist in reality
Having experienced a variety of reputable airlines in J and Y-class I disagree with that statement. However, I will focus on the Y-class part only.

First, the food portion size (not quality but size) in Y-class in Emirates is the best I have experienced so far. I have flown in Y-class with the so-rated 5* airlines Garuda-Indonesia (a 1.5 hours flight) and flown with other airlines such as Malaysia Airlines and Oman Air and found the food portion size good on Emirates Y-class. I was shocked that with Garuda-Indonesia, they only provide you with a main-course meal in addition to a strawberry flavor yogurt on the side only. My experience with Malaysian Airlines was not that different in Y-class for my 2.5 hours domestic flight as well. However, with Emirates you are offered the main course, salads, sweets, and a piece of chocolate with your food. ^

Second, the comfort of the seats themselves. In addition to the airlines mentioned above, I have also experienced the Y-class product onboard Kuwait and Qatar Airways. In terms of seat comfort Emirates never failed (besides their A330 bird) to provide me with a comfortable seat onboard their fleet, regardless of how long/short the flight is. I always found it comfortable to sit in a Y-class seat with Emirates. I assume you never flew with Kuwait/Qatar Airways, and Malaysian Airlines and experienced their Y-class seats.

Third, the IFE itself which you have already mentioned in your post

Finally, the refund process with Emirates is very simple compared to other airlines. I do not have to send e-mails or make phone calls to get my money back. List me any other international airlines that provides you with this convenience.

Based on the above, I fail to see how Emirates is over-rated compared to other airlines

Last edited by aceboy44; Sep 3, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:01 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gbcflyer
EK for sure is a mass market product, grossly overated for service and product. I speak with considerable experience in flying F and J on several airlines to make that statement. My frame of reference is in international flights with SQ and CX.

EKs J tends to be very cramped, perhaps only slightly better than CX Premium Economy. EKs F is a copy of SQ's suites (plus the shower, of course). Examine the amenities closely and they are very cheap products (i.e., stationary, etc..) meant for that WOW!! factor. The gilded trims, bling Dollywood style lights are quite useless. Dinks cabinet - how much can you really consume during any flight - if you need something, you could always ask the FA. The space taken up by somewhat useless amenities is what you are paying for. I have verified that the FAs only get a few weeks training and then sent on the job - SQ/CX invest heavily into crew training for several months. Much else to be said will be critical ad nauseam...

In 2014, I took a flight LHR-SIN with a 2 hr transit stop at DXB. 1st segment in F and connecting to SIN in J. Family of 2A and 2 very young children. The A380 arrived and dropped everyone off at the tarmac, app noon time with searing heat. Hauled away by bus and dumped at the terminal. No one assisted us with guidance to our connecting flight despite repeated requests. We finally made the very long journey to another terminal. Denied access to the F lounge..!! (SQ/CX permits F if you arrived in F and connecting to a lower cabin). With barely 45 mons left, we prepared to board the connecting, all hot and sweaty. That was the last time I've ever flown EK - at least it was an expensed flight (and not my account..!).

Overall, ground staff were rude, hostile, unpleasant and unhelpful - this is Emirates for you..!!! Please do not believe those Discovery channel documentaries - they're pure Dollywood performances.

Another significant negative is their FF program - redemptions rates for premium cabins are more that twice that of SQ/CX.

Those who claim the merits of EKs premium cabin are those who really travel mostly by LCCs or cheap economy tickets or US carriers - they get very impressed with anything better that their usual mode of travel.

Never again, EK...!!
Your post suggests more familiarity with Dolly Parton than premium airline travel & comparisons therein. Really, it does.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, HHonors Gold
I would ask the question overrated compared to what?

I am flying GLA-BOM via DBX next week on EK and I'm really looking forward to it. I've only flown EK once but was very pleased with both the soft and the hard product in J. The 77w has a slightly worse hard product than the 380, but I found the staff to be better on the 77w and as the business cabin was smaller it just felt a bit more special.

I've also flown BA J recently, albeit only on and old 747 and the hard product was definitely a bit tired and dated.

For the flight I am on, even if EK was a little inferior, it's half the price of a non middle east airline, so definitely not overrated overall in my view.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH HON
EK is overrated - yeah, at least compared to QR (new J) and AA (77W). Other than that it is a suitable airline with decent pricing. In economy it is pretty much a no brainer as okay'ish legroom and superb IFE stands above all other crap carriers.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: SPG Life Plat, Marriott Life Plat, HH DIA, Ritz Carlton Life Plat
Response to DYKWIA....

This discussion is found in BT - perhaps supports just about all that can be said about EK by public consensus....

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...atinum-memebrs
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:35 am

The Wrong Question

For me it's about value for money and efficiently travelling from A to B. No right answer here guys just opinions.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
This discussion is found in BT - perhaps supports just about all that can be said about EK by public consensus....

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...atinum-memebrs
Blogs do not represent public consensus ...

In this case, OP has legitimate reasons to be irritated. But it's only one case of CRM disaster. And we can probably find at least one such example in any company.
(and, I find OP letters a little clumsy)

I will not defend EK whatever whenever, and I'm not counting on EK to compensate generously exceptional accidents (lost baggage, AC condensation dripping on important documents, food spilled over pants, ...), but, I do get very satisfactory hard and soft products for the money I'm paying.

On my usual legs, I can find better, but at a higher price ; and even less good at a higher price.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, IHG Rewards Club
EKs J tends to be very cramped, perhaps only slightly better than CX Premium Economy.
Well, never flown CX premium economy, but:
http://products.cathaypacific.com/pr...hay-pacific-2/

Really?
If this is almost Emirates J class, then Y on Emirates is also almost J class.
Ok welcome drink and noise-cancelling headset are plus, but not worth paying extra for it.

anyway, everything depends on the price.
Last time I had WAW-DXB-CPT J class plus return in Y for (almost) the price other airlines were selling economy both ways...

But, I can agree that Skywards is now one of worst loyalty programs.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by Kaid
For me it's about value for money and efficiently travelling from A to B. No right answer here guys just opinions.
Sensible words - airline comparisons are subjective, not objective. As people put different weight on things, its hard to provide anything more than inferences here (YMMV in other words). No harm however in people expressing what airline they personally found better in the list of those they've experienced.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
EK is a good airline, but not a great airline.

EK used to be a great airline. They grew too fast and have declined a lot.

Ground operation in DXB is sloppy at best, there is never any apparent effort to leave on time. Check-in can take 5 minutes or an hour, you never know. Waiting for bags for an hour in the US would never fly (pun intended).

Service on the airplane is usually very good. Food in Y is better than most carriers, J is comparable but certainly not better. And since I fly mostly DL I have very low expectations for food.

The best thing that EK offers is the limo service for J/F passengers.

I still fly EK but do not go out of my way to do it.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
I just had a very bad experience with Emirates where they REFUSED (or could NOT) honour my upgrade to J class...... despite paying the Flex+ rate.

I guess I will toss away my membership card once it expires and will not make EK my first choice of airlines

I am 8K miles short on achieving my gold status but after not honouring my upgrade using miles, then Skywards means nothing to me.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Wot ! No upgrade ??!! Sacrebleu !

Ahh....... the path of true love never did run smooth.

Always good to hear from you aceboy !

Your posts, it must be said, are totally unique and bring a whole new dimension to the forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.