Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates over rated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
Yep, that what I think. EK's "First" is often half the cost of other's and Business is often the cost of Economy on SQ or LH so sorta puts into perspective what EK thinks of their own product. Example: EK currently has a promo of about us$ 1500 for BKK-VIE return on business class.

For the price, EK First is acceptable...it's not premium but neither is the cost. It's business class with suites seating (which is nice). However, I would have some reservations taking EK business on a transcontinental or oceanic crossing.
Where can you find that 1500 USD J fare - I can only find a 1500 GBP one

Also, I don't think you can look at fares on any given route pair in isolation, especially given two relatively well-trafficked airports: the promotional fare that EK is offering is in line with a recent AY, EY and QR fare, and is attempting to undercut the fact that OS is offering a direct fare for similar price (+/- 200 USD).

Airline fares are hardly ever indicative of what a carrier thinks of its own product - they are an attempt to extract maximum cash from the market taking into account the product offering (product/schedule) and the perception of the product in the target market. A carrier's perception of its own product is usually irrelevant in the airline market - just look at the expensive LCC fares or the EU short-haul J market, or the wildly different pricing for the same seat on the same aircraft just changing the origin and destination points.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just doing a random check; for a date in February r/t LHR-SYD cheapest offerings

BA : £5,857
TG : £5,857
EY : £5,878
EK : £6,751
QF : £6,746
SQ : £7,826

I have trouble identifying EK as being the cheapest there

Looking at the reverse

BA : $10,930
EY : $11,008
TG : $11,662
EK : $13,782

I qualified my opinion on pricing by saying I'm most familiar with fares ex-Bangkok. I surmise that fates out of t Bangkok are very competitive verses Heathrow. I often see First class fares on EK that would be Business Class fares on many other first tier airlines.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Where can you find that 1500 USD J fare - I can only find a 1500 GBP one

Also, I don't think you can look at fares on any given route pair in isolation, especially given two relatively well-trafficked airports: the promotional fare that EK is offering is in line with a recent AY, EY and QR fare, and is attempting to undercut the fact that OS is offering a direct fare for similar price (+/- 200 USD).

Airline fares are hardly ever indicative of what a carrier thinks of its own product - they are an attempt to extract maximum cash from the market taking into account the product offering (product/schedule) and the perception of the product in the target market. A carrier's perception of its own product is usually irrelevant in the airline market - just look at the expensive LCC fares or the EU short-haul J market, or the wildly different pricing for the same seat on the same aircraft just changing the origin and destination points.
It listed as "from" 45k baht on EK's Thailand website...that is about US$ 1500. That's one of the cheapest business class fares to Europe (ex-BKK) that I've seen in a long while.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:28 am

It listed as "from" 45k baht on EK's Thailand website...that is about US$ 1500. That's one of the cheapest business class fares to Europe (ex-BKK) that I've seen in a long while.
Look at the note below the table.

* All fares are exclusive of all taxes and surcharges. Fares may differ slightly due to currency fluctuations and/or government tax regulations as per journey booked. Fares and conditions are updated on 31 August 2015 and are subject to change without prior notice.

Real price = 76,655 THB or 2,176 USD
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:31 am

Thailand is not really consumer friendly when it comes to airfares - most airlines advertise base fares ex-taxes/surcharges so that 45k is actually 75k all-in (just some cursory searches)!

Still it's not a bad price but in line with other carriers on the route offering 1-stops
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Look at the note below the table.

* All fares are exclusive of all taxes and surcharges. Fares may differ slightly due to currency fluctuations and/or government tax regulations as per journey booked. Fares and conditions are updated on 31 August 2015 and are subject to change without prior notice.

Real price = 76,655 THB or 2,176 USD
Actually, I think if you called EK reservations, one can get this advertised fare on a certain day and a particular flight. However, it will be an awkward departure time with a possibly long layover. I've gotten these website prices at the listed prices in the past.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:39 am

Actually, I think if you called EK reservations, one can get this advertised fare on a certain day and a particular flight. However, it will be an awkward departure time with a possibly long layover. I've gotten these website prices at the listed prices in the past.
Those fares book into business special for both outbound and inbound and on the fare calculation page display a fare of 46,450THB, taxes of 3,250THB and surcharges of 25,810THB.

I would say your chances of getting EK to waive the surcharges in this case are exactly equal to nil

If you do know a certain EK reservation agent who waives surcharges though, please let me know as I will give them literally all my business!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:49 am

Those fares book into business special for both outbound and inbound and on the fare calculation page display a fare of 46,450THB, taxes of 3,250THB and surcharges of 25,810THB.

I would say your chances of getting EK to waive the surcharges in this case are exactly equal to nil

If you do know a certain EK reservation agent who waives surcharges though, please let me know as I will give them literally all my business!
Maybe the lowest is calculated with the additional taxes and surcharges added on. I'm just saying in the past, I've booked the fare actually shown on the website all in...so thought it might be available if one spoke directly to a reservations agent. As mentioned, even at 75k, it's a pretty cheap fare.

Sorry, I don't know any agents that waive surcharges and taxes ��
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:50 am

eternaltransit put it much better. I was going to say bollocks.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

To me, they're not necessary and apparently EK feels the same as future A380s won't have them.
That's incorrect.

*Some* A380's won't have F class.

The new A380's that do have F class with have showers.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Skywards
why is someone complaining that the fares are too low?! you can buy two ticket bkkdxb and dxbvie if the fare is too low for you (the DXB-VIE will be double the price of BKK-VIE). EK mostly matches other promotional fares (as et mentioned) and I would say the have one of the most complex availabilities and (most of the time ) they know what they are doing with there availability/open booking classes. there are destinations with very low fares (not promotional, regular fares) like JNB or ATH, but every airline has this.

also, a price of a ticket has not much with the quality of the airline to do, but only with demand, availability etc

as dave said, i dont know any PE (flown SQ, CX, LH and NZ) that is as good as the C from EK.
Yes, the food is - in my opinion - not as good compared to other airlines like SQ, QR, EY or JAL - however it is still good - food in the lounges are also above average (compared to other lounges - yes there are better F lounges but I consider also outstation lounges and not only FCL/BCL in DXB)

re the long transit walkings - I agree that the staff should help if you ask them something and I know not everyone is an experienced traveller but I cannot understand stories like 'there was no one there to help' (from another thread) - maybe it was just in my experince but I always see a lot of staff at the airport (and most of them are (very) helpful). Everyone knows that DXB airport is huge. most annoying thing is if you get a free airport tour with the bus because the plane is parked on the end of the aiport.

obviously if you take 1 example of your 'flight package', like the food: there are better airline as mentioned. but take EY in this example - hard product (except CD service) is better than EK's but you also have to consider the soft product in this comparison (everyone who has dealed with EY re a problem does know what I mean).

edit: only the two class 380 do not have a shower as there is no F there - F cabin will get a revamp next year afaik.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's incorrect.

*Some* A380's won't have F class.

The new A380's that do have F class with have showers.
okay, i stand corrected on that point. people who like them will continue to have them. the only purpose i could imagine would be for a couple needing to slip away for a few minutes of intimacy.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:12 am

Maybe the lowest is calculated with the additional taxes and surcharges added on. I'm just saying in the past, I've booked the fare actually shown on the website all in...so thought it might be available if one spoke directly to a reservations agent. As mentioned, even at 75k, it's a pretty cheap fare.

Sorry, I don't know any agents that waive surcharges and taxes ��
There may have been a time in the past when EK was innocent and didn't realise they could get away in Thailand with only publishing base fares - they have certainly learnt their lesson!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:14 am

okay, i stand corrected on that point. people who like them will continue to have them. the only purpose i could imagine would be for a couple needing to slip away for a few minutes of intimacy.
The shower at 40,000ft sounds like it is an absolute gimmick and can sometimes be a logical stretch to justify - especially if you haven't tried it - but once you've taken one you'll realise that they are actually quite special and extremely useful to have the facility of!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:24 am

The shower at 40,000ft sounds like it is an absolute gimmick and can sometimes be a logical stretch to justify - especially if you haven't tried it - but once you've taken one you'll realise that they are actually quite special and extremely useful to have the facility of!
Maybe...I couldn't be bothered on any of the three legs of my trip that were on the 380. They are nice and spacious, that's for sure, and a comfortable place to drop a loaf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.