FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates over rated?
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:15 am
OMGImInPattaya

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Where can you find that 1500 USD J fare - I can only find a 1500 GBP one

Also, I don't think you can look at fares on any given route pair in isolation, especially given two relatively well-trafficked airports: the promotional fare that EK is offering is in line with a recent AY, EY and QR fare, and is attempting to undercut the fact that OS is offering a direct fare for similar price (+/- 200 USD).

Airline fares are hardly ever indicative of what a carrier thinks of its own product - they are an attempt to extract maximum cash from the market taking into account the product offering (product/schedule) and the perception of the product in the target market. A carrier's perception of its own product is usually irrelevant in the airline market - just look at the expensive LCC fares or the EU short-haul J market, or the wildly different pricing for the same seat on the same aircraft just changing the origin and destination points.
It listed as "from" 45k baht on EK's Thailand website...that is about US$ 1500. That's one of the cheapest business class fares to Europe (ex-BKK) that I've seen in a long while.