Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Very impersonal 2nd rate service in economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very impersonal 2nd rate service in economy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:11 pm

Oh, you know, they say some words to you, actually talk to you like you are a human being.
Why not replace them with robots? It'd be better at Dubai.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Oh, you know, they say some words to you, actually talk to you like you are a human being.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
Good one
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:27 am

Most airlines (and I think inevitably all) are moving towards this - mobile and online check-in, automated bag drops at airports, even QF giving their FFP members an electronic re-useable luggage tags, even self-service boarding gates. At the other end, there is automatic immigration, with biometric access gates.

It seems that passengers of the future do not really want any human interaction at all, and simply want to get to the lounge, to the plane and to their destination as quickly as possible.

Perhaps at DXB, once Y and J pax are more used to automation, there will be scope to offer the kind of "exclusivity bubble" and "luxury" of close pampering, similar to say, LH FCT at FRA.

However, I think at DXB you will still not the experience you are looking for because it seems from your posts that you value the interaction and human connection aspect of luxury hospitality and I am not sure that Dubai (or indeed the UAE) is really geared up to do that. The place runs on imported hospitality and there are very clear class distinctions between the service class and, basically, F pax. The overall culture - that is, the safest behaviour in order not to cause any issues - is that service staff and wealthy F pax are not of the same class, so it would may be insulting (to the F pax) to interact with them as if they were equals with conversation and banter (as you say, talk to you as a human being). The default mode is to simply process things as quickly as possible (and swiftness with service is a big priority from ME customers and indeed EKs target markets - they are not there to chat to the staff). Even if you were to change to a different carrier ex-T1 (or T2!) I still don't think you'd get the service atmosphere you're looking for.

Unfortunately, a bit of an intractable problem if you are O&D in DXB and check-in experience is of importance to you!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I don't want somebody rabbiting on to the check-in agent while I'm waiting behind. Get a move on!!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I don't want somebody rabbiting on to the check-in agent while I'm waiting behind. Get a move on!!
Especially when you are in f .
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Haha. So you wouldn't have been one of those in the priority line when the economy queue is empty, right?

Actually, my experience at Dubai is they just ignore you. I was checking-in in F, early in the morning, nobody else was there. The two ladies are just sitting there, chatting. Not paying attention to the one person standing in front of them. I wouldn't call that "efficient" either.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:11 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Haha. So you wouldn't have been one of those in the priority line when the economy queue is empty, right?
I wouldn't be able to see the economy line, it's in another part of the terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.