Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAE Smart Gate Q's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:55 pm

Dubai Airport ( DXB ) & Abu Dhabi (AUH) 14th April 2019

Hi,

I shall be flying into Dubai in July and a few days later flying out from Abu Dhabi.

I have a British Passport and I use the smart gate when entering and leaving Dubai airport. I use Dubai for connecting flights but stay in Dubai for a day or two normally.

This time as mentioned I will be flying into Dubai but leaving from Abu Dhabi for the first time.

1- Are the smart gates between Dubai and Abu Dhabi linked?

2-Will I be able to use the smart gate at Abu Dhabi or will I have to register at Abu Dhabi?

3-Will I have any problems flying into and out of different airports in the UAE?

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've just got a new passport. Do I need to re-register for Smartgates?
Yes
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs
Hi,

I shall be flying into Dubai in July and a few days later flying out from Abu Dhabi.

I have a British Passport and I use the smart gate when entering and leaving Dubai airport. I use Dubai for connecting flights but stay in Dubai for a day or two normally.

This time as mentioned I will be flying into Dubai but leaving from Abu Dhabi for the first time.

1- Are the smart gates between Dubai and Abu Dhabi linked?

2-Will I be able to use the smart gate at Abu Dhabi or will I have to register at Abu Dhabi?

3-Will I have any problems flying into and out of different airports in the UAE?

Thanks
1) Yes

2) If you’re registered for one, you’re registered for all

3) No
homer3152 and Giantlonglegs like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci

1) Yes

2) If you’re registered for one, you’re registered for all

3) No

Thanks for the information.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hi

German national, registered for Dubai E gates, but could not use them in Abu Dhabi.

Friendly officer told me that systems are now different and has registered me for the AUH gates on the spot.

D
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi

German national, registered for Dubai E gates, but could not use them in Abu Dhabi.

Friendly officer told me that systems are now different and has registered me for the AUH gates on the spot.

D
Always been different
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Always been different
Ah interesting, I was referring to post #64 but have never tried myself until Sat.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyer_sam
Hi all,

Last week I arrived at DXB T3 and went through Fast Track but regular line up (traveled J class, Canadian passport holder). I was told that in order to use the Smart Gates, I first must go through the regular immigration process atleast once, which I did upon entry.

I asked one of the EK agents about the process to register for Smart Gates and she mentioned that I have to register (and that the registration is on the far right side of the smart gates). I don't know if the info she told me was accurate or not.

Next week I'm headed back to DXB for 3 days, I would much prefer to use the Smart Gates so I wanted to know that since I already have an entry visa on my passport now, do I have to go back again into the regular immigration line up or can I use the smart gates? What is the process? Any help would be great!
I have a US passport. I transited at DXB last week. I had a short layover and was not going to go through immigration, but I wanted to register for Smart Gates because I had a full day layover in DXB on my return this week and I would be leaving the airport.

I went to the Smart Gates area and told the person there what I wanted to do. She said that I had to go through regular immigration and that the officer there would register me. I was at Terminal 3 for what it's worth. I don't know why I couldn't register at Smart Gates; maybe it is because it was about midnight. Anyway, the lines at immigration were fairly long, but I had a couple hours with nothing else to do until my connecting flight left. When I got to the immigration counter, I told the agent that I only wanted to register for Smart Gates. He did that, but I was also processed through immigration, meaning that I officially entered UAE. I was obligated to proceed through customs and go landside.

Being landside turned out to be an advantage because then I had the opportunity to use Smart Gates at exit immigration, which I did a few minutes later. It was great!
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by g289t
When I got to the immigration counter, I told the agent that I only wanted to register for Smart Gates. He did that, but I was also processed through immigration, meaning that I officially entered UAE. I was obligated to proceed through customs and go landside.
I doubt it could be done any other way. Unless you actually process through and enter the country your biometrics won't be captured into the system.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
She said that I had to go through regular immigration and that the officer there would register me. I was at Terminal 3 for what it's worth. I don't know why I couldn't register at Smart Gates; maybe it is because it was about midnight.
AFAIK that's how most people register passports with smart gates
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Reds2011
I doubt it could be done any other way. Unless you actually process through and enter the country your biometrics won't be captured into the system.
Yes, I realize that now. It turned out to be no problem. Like I said, I then had the opportunity to use Smart Gates immediately, as I had to go back airside immediately to catch my connecting flight.

Originally Posted by kq747
AFAIK that's how most people register passports with smart gates
Yes, it seems that way. But I had been reading that you could register at Smart Gates. But either way, it was fine. I had time to spare with little else to do right then.

I have a question about Smart Gates and children. My wife will likely have a long layover in Dubai and she'll have a couple of our children along. They will be 13 and 3 years old. The dubaiairports.ae website says that "Families travelling with children below the age of 18 should head to the manned counter next to the Smart Gates, to complete the immigration process." Is this referring to the regular immigration counters? Or are there special counters at Smart Gates to handle children?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
On a slightly related note, I noticed some companies require a copy of the stamp. For instance when getting a Tourist sim carc at Du or Etisalat. Does anyone have experience what happens if you entered with the Smartgate and thus don’t have a stamp?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
On a slightly related note, I noticed some companies require a copy of the stamp. For instance when getting a Tourist sim carc at Du or Etisalat. Does anyone have experience what happens if you entered with the Smartgate and thus don’t have a stamp?
To add to this, what about entering Oman without a visa on the basis of a stamp in your passport from the UAE? Is this still effective? If so, how can it work without the stamp?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
To add to this, what about entering Oman without a visa on the basis of a stamp in your passport from the UAE? Is this still effective? If so, how can it work without the stamp?
Did you ever get a response to your question? I have the same question. For instance, if I want to do a border run to extend my stay in Dubai.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Did you ever get a response to your question? I have the same question. For instance, if I want to do a border run to extend my stay in Dubai.
I think I'm going to answer my own question. Since smart gates are fully electronic, and all passports have a chip in them. I believe every country now has the capability of pulling up all the information on every country the passport holder has entered and departed. So, I don't think a manual visa entry stamp is even necessary any longer. That's just my conclusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.