UAE Smart Gate Q's

Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I think the issue with my "exit refusal" here is that I was exiting on my 2nd passport which does not have the resident visa (as fist passport was off at another embassy). So seems it is ok to leave with a residence visa but if you enter via e-gate you cannot exit with a non-resident visa passport
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I think the issue with my "exit refusal" here is that I was exiting on my 2nd passport which does not have the resident visa (as fist passport was off at another embassy). So seems it is ok to leave with a residence visa but if you enter via e-gate you cannot exit with a non-resident visa passport
I don't have a resident visa - perhaps the passport you presented did not match the e-gate registered passport which is why they had to wait until the system updated to ensure you actually entered the country before allowing you to exit.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If you activate your Skywards card, it will become an e-gate card, which works in both Smartgates at arrival and e-gates on departure.
You won't need a passport photo, but now T3 DNRD won't activate it - you have to go either to the T1 office or DNRD head office.
Wait a minute - do I have this right. T3 is the primary Emirates arrival and departure terminal. And you say that DNRD at T3 will no longer activate the Emirates Skywards card - I have to somehow get to T1, or worse, to DNRD head office somewhjere?? How logical is that?

(I've tried asking Emirates directly on this issue and they just insist that a passport photo is needed and make vague hand-waving noises about where to activate. Not helpful).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by PeterWeb
Wait a minute - do I have this right. T3 is the primary Emirates arrival and departure terminal. And you say that DNRD at T3 will no longer activate the Emirates Skywards card - I have to somehow get to T1, or worse, to DNRD head office somewhjere?? How logical is that?

(I've tried asking Emirates directly on this issue and they just insist that a passport photo is needed and make vague hand-waving noises about where to activate. Not helpful).
I've been told that twice at the DNRD office at T3 Arrivals - I'm not sure if it's policy or shall we say, UAE bureaucracy at work (as it was pretty empty both times I went). Twice I went to T3 Fast track departures and there was no one in there.

The DNRD at dnata SZR is the non-airport one I was told would do it (or T1).
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
I activated mine at t1 above departures... very quick and easy.

You absolutely can use it to enter then exit within 6hrs. I flew in on ek at 0100 T3 and out 0330 T1 QR (before the tensions of course). Only issue is it doesn't let you through automatically it'll send you to the officer who just asked why such a short stay, then waved me through (no stamp)

(non resident - uk passport)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by theox
I activated mine at t1 above departures... very quick and easy.

You absolutely can use it to enter then exit within 6hrs. I flew in on ek at 0100 T3 and out 0330 T1 QR (before the tensions of course). Only issue is it doesn't let you through automatically it'll send you to the officer who just asked why such a short stay, then waved me through (no stamp)

(non resident - uk passport)
I think the facility in T1 has now closed and you now can only get your e-gate card in T3
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I think the facility in T1 has now closed and you now can only get your e-gate card in T3
Do you happen to know when this happened and do you have a source for this? I'm flying to DXB this weekend and I was looking to register my Skywards card during a 4 hour layover.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: EK Silver, CX Gold, SQ Silver, EY Gold
I tried to renew my E Gate card in T1 during Ramadan so I guess in my case it was just over a month ago. The office was open but I was told that I had to go to T3.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
I tried to register my Skywards card during a 4 hour layover in the early morning (about 5AM). When I went to the DNRD office in T3 I was told that they only register cards from 7:00AM to 2AM I was also told that the office in T1 does not register cards at all.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by corbomite
I tried to register my Skywards card during a 4 hour layover in the early morning (about 5AM). When I went to the DNRD office in T3 I was told that they only register cards from 7:00AM to 2AM I was also told that the office in T1 does not register cards at all.
I suspect then that the T3 DNRD office is taking a rather flexible approach towards registration
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
The E-Gate registration never works with me in DXB, meanwhile in AUH it is flawless. The differences are gate to exit in 2 minutes (AUH) and gate to exit in half an hour (30 minutes) both are J experiences.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:45 pm

Hi all,

Last week I arrived at DXB T3 and went through Fast Track but regular line up (traveled J class, Canadian passport holder). I was told that in order to use the Smart Gates, I first must go through the regular immigration process atleast once, which I did upon entry.

I asked one of the EK agents about the process to register for Smart Gates and she mentioned that I have to register (and that the registration is on the far right side of the smart gates). I don't know if the info she told me was accurate or not.

Next week I'm headed back to DXB for 3 days, I would much prefer to use the Smart Gates so I wanted to know that since I already have an entry visa on my passport now, do I have to go back again into the regular immigration line up or can I use the smart gates? What is the process? Any help would be great!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyer_sam
Hi all,

Last week I arrived at DXB T3 and went through Fast Track but regular line up (traveled J class, Canadian passport holder). I was told that in order to use the Smart Gates, I first must go through the regular immigration process atleast once, which I did upon entry.

I asked one of the EK agents about the process to register for Smart Gates and she mentioned that I have to register (and that the registration is on the far right side of the smart gates). I don't know if the info she told me was accurate or not.

Next week I'm headed back to DXB for 3 days, I would much prefer to use the Smart Gates so I wanted to know that since I already have an entry visa on my passport now, do I have to go back again into the regular immigration line up or can I use the smart gates? What is the process? Any help would be great!
You have to register as you were told (bolded above). Just go there and they will handle the immigration process and registration at the same time.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've just got a new passport. Do I need to re-register for Smartgates?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've just got a new passport. Do I need to re-register for Smartgates?
yes ....if you use the passport for the egate and you have new passport then you need to re register...simple and quick procedure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.